[comp.unix.xenix] Running out of inodes!!

jessea@dynasys.UUCP ( Sysadmin.) (10/01/89)

I have a problem with running out of inodes, even when only 60% of the disk
is full.  This normally happens when I am receiving the news and one directory
gets a lot of files in it.  Should this happen?  Why the lack of inodes?  Is
there a limit to the number of inodes so that the entire disk space cannot
be utilized?  BTW, I'm using SCO Xenix 2.3.1.  Thanx for any help.

--
        Jesse W. Asher
        Dynasys               (901) 382-1705

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (10/04/89)

In article <11@dynasys.UUCP>, jessea@dynasys.UUCP ( Sysadmin.) writes:
> I have a problem with running out of inodes, even when only 60% of the disk
> is full.  This normally happens when I am receiving the news and one directory
> gets a lot of files in it.  Should this happen?  Why the lack of inodes?  Is
> there a limit to the number of inodes so that the entire disk space cannot
> be utilized?  BTW, I'm using SCO Xenix 2.3.1.  Thanx for any help.

I also had a problem running out of inodes (actually I was monitoring the
disk usage on one 110 meg drive that is used for news articles and noticed
my percentage of inode usage was twice that of actual usage).  I ended up
re-making the file system and hard setting the number of inodes - and
everything has been working fine.

--
Larry Snyder                               uucp:iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern Star Usenet Distribution Site                   Notre Dame, IN USA