[comp.unix.xenix] setcolor

ron@vsedev.VSE.COM (Ron Flax) (10/26/87)

Does anyone have any insight into the reason why the console driver
for SCO Xenix 2.2 no longer supports the ability to set the graphic
box foreground and background colors?

The setcolor(1) command has been enhanced to allow for additional
settings such as cursor size settings, bell pitch and duration
settings, and border color settings; and while it still shows support
for setting the graphic box colors, it doesn't work!

SCO are you listening?

By the way this is on a system with an EGA monitor, which under 2.1.3
supports this feature correctly.

--
ron@vsedev.vse.com	(Ron Flax)
uucp:	..!uunet!vsedev!ron

Environment: 386/20 with Maxlogic VGA card (based on Cirrus chip set)
OS: SCO XENIX 2.3.2

I can't seem to get color text to display with this combination. I'm
using the setcolor(C) command as a test. If you sa 'setcolor' with no
arguments, you get a list of possible colors along with a box of that
color. When I try this with my VGA card, nothing comes out in color. It
acts exactly the same as if I had a monochrome display. I can take the
same system, put in a CGA card, and i get the colors.

Has anyone else seen this and come up with a fix?

Before anyone points at my VGA card and says incompatible, I have used
this card under VP/ix and displayed color graphics fine.

j				|%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (10/06/89)

In article <4863@cps3xx.UUCP>, usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
> Environment: 386/20 with Maxlogic VGA card (based on Cirrus chip set)
>
> I can't seem to get color text to display with this combination. I'm
> using the setcolor(C) command as a test....
> Before anyone points at my VGA card and says incompatible, I have used
> this card under VP/ix and displayed color graphics fine.

  VP/ix is not an acid test for compatibility. Someone at the SCO Forum '89
  remarked that setcolor(c) was the "Flight Simulator of Xenix" to test for
  EGA/VGA compatibility, and everyone in the audience chuckled. Try to get
  your hands on one of the "VGA Register Compatibility Test" diskettes that
  are floating around. The one I have is from Paradise.
--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
...uunet!applix!jim    jim@applix.com