[comp.unix.xenix] Problem with Computone Intelliport AT-8.

reneni@wundt.psy.vu.nl (Rene Nieuwboer) (10/04/89)

Hello,

We have a little problem with a Computone Intelliport-8 serial
board under Xenix 2.3. When the kernel tries to initialize this
board, it is hung (the message is "D5").
The computer is a Olivetti M380/C (80386/16 Mhz).
It doesn't matter what IRQ you use or which RAM area. The software
installation gives no problem. All the other hardware seems to be ok.

The strange part is that when we try to use the board with exactly
the same kernel configuration on a M380/XP5 (80386/20 Mhz),
everything goes right.

Can somebody tell me what is going wrong?

/*
Rene Nieuwboer, Computersection Psychology, Vrije Universiteit,
Amsterdam, Holland.
Internet:	reneni@psy.vu.nl
*/

bblue@toshi.cts.com (Bill Blue) (10/06/89)

In article <516@wundt.psy.vu.nl> reneni@psy.vu.nl.UUCP (Rene Nieuwboer) writes:
>Hello,
>
>We have a little problem with a Computone Intelliport-8 serial
>board under Xenix 2.3. When the kernel tries to initialize this
>board, it is hung (the message is "D5").
>The computer is a Olivetti M380/C (80386/16 Mhz).
>It doesn't matter what IRQ you use or which RAM area. The software
>installation gives no problem. All the other hardware seems to be ok.
>
>The strange part is that when we try to use the board with exactly
>the same kernel configuration on a M380/XP5 (80386/20 Mhz),
>everything goes right.

I ran across something similar to this not too long ago.  I don't
recall the D5 message, but the system would just hang at
initialization time.  It turned out to be the way the motherboard wait
states were set.  Apparently the Intelliport board (unlike the
Advantage board) has a problem with certain timings on certain
motherboards.  As I recall, I added a wait state to memory refresh and
it started working.  I say memory refresh, but it could also have been
i/o waits -- sorry, I just don't remember exactly.

--Bill