[comp.unix.xenix] Bad Hertz Value

tron@mrecvax.UUCP (09/01/87)

I've been porting some packages (news, smail, ...) to SCO XENIX V 2.1.3
and I'm getting this 'Bad herts value' error from some programs;
i.e. rnews put one for each news that it reads when is invoked by uux,
but all is ok if run interactively.

Anyone knows where does it come from?

Thanks in advance!

Carlos G Mendioroz - Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores y Culto
		     Buenos Aires  ARGENTINA
UUCP : {seismo|uunet|pyramid!utai|decvax!utcsri}!atina!mrecvax!tron

"I've had nothing yet",Alice replied in an
offended tone, "so I can't take more."
"You mean you can't take less," said the Hatter:
"it's very easy to take more than nothing."

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (09/02/87)

In article <381@mrecvax.UUCP> tron@mrecvax.UUCP (Carlos Mendioroz) writes:
|I've been porting some packages (news, smail, ...) to SCO XENIX V 2.1.3
|and I'm getting this 'Bad herts value' error from some programs;
The value HZ is not set in the environment (or not exported). I assume
you mean "hertz".
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | seismo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen

bdw@peaks.UUCP (bruce welker) (09/04/87)

In article <381@mrecvax.UUCP>, tron@mrecvax.UUCP (Carlos Mendioroz) writes:
> I've been porting some packages (news, smail, ...) to SCO XENIX V 2.1.3
> and I'm getting this 'Bad herts value' error from some programs;
> [ more stuff ]

	I've seen this problem at work while starting up nested vi's while
	logged in from an XT. Iwould be interested in whatever light can
	be thrown on it...

		bdw
		as ...!hao!boulder!peaks!bdw

martin@rriwro.UUCP (Martin Hobson) (09/10/87)

In article <209@peaks.UUCP> bdw@peaks.UUCP (bruce welker) writes:
>In article <381@mrecvax.UUCP>, tron@mrecvax.UUCP (Carlos Mendioroz) writes:
>> I've been porting some packages (news, smail, ...) to SCO XENIX V 2.1.3
>> and I'm getting this 'Bad herts value' error from some programs;
>> [ more stuff ]
>
>	I've seen this problem at work while starting up nested vi's while
>	logged in from an XT. Iwould be interested in whatever light can
>	be thrown on it...
>
>		bdw
>		as ...!hao!boulder!peaks!bdw

We ran into this problem when doing things like 'su - user' from the
root account, which would result in large numbers of 'Bad Hertz Value'
messages being generated, garbled output, and failing programs. We traced
this problem to a failure to declare the environment variable 'HZ' prior
to starting up a csh process.

It appears that csh absolutely MUST have a value declared for HZ, or it
will break. We fixed the problem by adding the command:

setenv HZ 50

to our /etc/cshrc file - which is invoked for a login c-shell only. So,
check your environment to be sure the HZ variable is set correctly.

Hope this helps,
--
Martin Hobson                                  |  "It's hard to believe
Riverside Research - Computer Systems Center   |   grown-ups do this for

jom@belltec.UUCP (Jerry Merlaine) (02/20/89)

In XENIX/386 2.2 and 2.3, when we run the Streamlined Networks TCP/IP
rsh and rcp programs, this string appears after a successful run:

	Bad Hertz Value

Streamlined assures me that it is not in their source code.
This string never appeared in Microport SV/AT or UNIX/386 V.3.[01] ports.
In the XENIX-into-UNIX merge product, AT&T UNIX V.3.2, this string
was added in as part of the XENIX merge, and was expounded upon to
make it more understandable:

	Bad Hertz Value
	Using 100 from <sys/param.h>

To quote from "Duck Soup", the best Marx Brother movie,
    Someone:
	It's so simple a 4-year-old child could understand it!

    Groucho:
	Go get me a 4-year-old child, I can't make heads or tails of it.

These strings do not appear anywhere in the kernel of any or the libraries.
Or the include files.  I'm about to launch a "strings" of the hard disk.
It won't tell me what file the string is from, but at least I'll know that
it doesn't pop into existence from the cosmic background radiation.

Anybody have a clue?

Jerry O. Merlaine
pacbell.com!belltec!jom

tif@cpe.UUCP (02/21/89)

Written  7:54 pm  Feb 19, 1989 by belltec.UUCP!jom in cpe:comp.unix.xenix
>	Bad Hertz Value
>
>These strings do not appear anywhere in the kernel of any or the libraries.
>Or the include files.  I'm about to launch a "strings" of the hard disk.

The string of a similar complaint can be found in /bin/sh.  That could
be were it's coming from in this case.  It's associated with the environment
variable HZ.  I believe the best way to eliminate the complaint is to put
HZ in the environment right from the very "getgo".  My /etc/rc has
	HZ=50
	export HZ TZ
and something similar in /etc/default/login.

			Paul Chamberlain
			Computer Product Engineering, Tandy Corp.
			{killer | texbell}!cpe!tif

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (02/21/89)

In article <345@belltec.UUCP> jom@belltec.UUCP (Jerry Merlaine) writes:
>In XENIX/386 2.2 and 2.3, when we run the Streamlined Networks TCP/IP
>rsh and rcp programs, this string appears after a successful run:
>
>	Bad Hertz Value
>[...]
>These strings do not appear anywhere in the kernel of any or the libraries.
>Or the include files.  I'm about to launch a "strings" of the hard disk.
>It won't tell me what file the string is from, but at least I'll know that
>it doesn't pop into existence from the cosmic background radiation.
>
>Anybody have a clue?

I've seen this message when 'su'-ing from root to a non-root login.
I believe this indicates that HZ is not being exported by the
parent process.

A quick 'strings /bin/* /usr/bin/* | grep [H,h]ertz' came up with:

sh: Bad or missing HZ (hertz) value in environment
time: invalid hertz value.
acctcom: invalid hertz value.
prof: invalid hertz value.

Hope this helps.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com

root@tscs.UUCP (Admin) (02/21/89)

In article <345@belltec.UUCP> jom@belltec.UUCP (Jerry Merlaine) writes:
>In XENIX/386 2.2 and 2.3, when we run the Streamlined Networks TCP/IP
>rsh and rcp programs, this string appears after a successful run:
>
>	Bad Hertz Value

We are running SCO TCP/IP and have not noticed this message when using any
of the r* commands.  However, if you use the command "su - username",
Xenix prints out the "Bad Hertz Value" message everytime a command is
executed.  I noticed that "HZ" is not defined in this case, normally
HZ is set to 50 on our machine running Xenix 386 2.3.1.  You might try
something like the following as the very first executable statements in
the following files:

in /etc/cshrc and $HOME/.cshrc (for each user using r* commands):
if ($?HZ != 1) then
	setenv HZ 50
endif

in /etc/profile and $HOME/.profile (for each user using r* commands):
if [ "$HZ" = "" ]
then
	HZ=50
	export HZ
fi

If you don't use "su - username" you should only need the
$HOME/.{cshrc,profile} additions.

Good Luck, Steve

wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) (10/06/89)

	Ever since I upgraded to Xenix 386 2.3.2 on an Intel Inboard 386
(with boot xenix inboard enabled) I periodically get the message:

	Bad Hertz Value

Now I swear that I am the genuine owner of all of my software, and I have
made a great effort to make certain that all of the packages are installed
correctly with the right key passwords.  I have reinstalled my compiler
several times to no avail.  I would like this to stop, because I think
that it might be screwing up my Streamlined Networks TCP/IP software.

	What should I do?

Bill Pearson