[comp.unix.xenix] Adaptec controllers

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (10/03/89)

I guess the Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer, don't know
much about the "current crop" of Adaptec controllers.  In message <7100025>
He stated that _"All of the current crop of Adaptec controllers have jumpers
for secondary I/O ports and interrupts"_.

Well, I called Adaptec to confirm this statement, which they did!  Great!  They
even recommended a distributor who was fast, and efficient!  Placed my order
 Friday, got it Monday!  And guess what, the ACB2310 I ordered DOES NOT have
the ability to change the interrupt.  The edges are not even on the card!
As a matter of fact I was told later that only two cards, and ESDI and an
RLL card (Forget which ones) can actually change interrupt by jumper.

Does anyone know of a WD Card that has the interrupt jumpers?  I would like
to avoid having to pick up the interrupt from the motherboard.

Thanks again
--
Adelphi University, Garden City, NY 11530                   (516) 663-1170
                                 markd@adelphi.UUCP  or  mark@promark.UUCP

In article <184@promark.UUCP> mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
>I guess the Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer, don't know
>much about the "current crop" of Adaptec controllers.  In message <7100025>
>He stated that _"All of the current crop of Adaptec controllers have jumpers
>for secondary I/O ports and interrupts"_.
>
>Well, I called Adaptec to confirm this statement, which they did!  Great!  They
>even recommended a distributor who was fast, and efficient!  Placed my order
> Friday, got it Monday!  And guess what, the ACB2310 I ordered DOES NOT have
>the ability to change the interrupt.  The edges are not even on the card!

That figures.  The 2372 does have it.  We're using one.  Throughput on that
board STINKS; we can't top 100KB/sec through SCO Xenix, while the WD1006 is
some 3-4X faster (and has better ECC circuitry!)  Grrrrrrrr...

>Does anyone know of a WD Card that has the interrupt jumpers?  I would like
>to avoid having to pick up the interrupt from the motherboard.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a WD board yet that has the jumper on it.  I
have complained loudly to the WD people here in town about this... so far
they have no good answers, but promised to relay my complaints.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

neese@adaptex.UUCP (10/07/89)

You are absolutely right!  The 231[02] controllers do not have the jumpers
for the interrupt selection.  I apologize for any confusion this may have
caused.  That's what I get for reading the literature and not looking at the
board.  All the RLL/ESDI/SCSI boards have the jumpers.  Again, I am sorry for
the frustration/inconvienence.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,attctc}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese