[comp.unix.xenix] Windowing system

fargo@rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) (09/20/89)

Can anyone point me towards a windowing system for SCO Xenix 286, v2.2.1?
Public domain or low priced commercial packages would be helpful.
   Thanks.

--
Thank you and happy hunting!             Actually: Ethan M. Young
  ____ [> SB <]    "Travel IS life"      Internet: fargo@pawl.rpi.edu

conan@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert B Carroll) (09/20/89)

In article <1989Sep20.000443.18268@rpi.edu> fargo@pawl20.pawl.rpi.edu.UUCP (Irwin M. Fargo) writes:
>Can anyone point me towards a windowing system for SCO Xenix 286, v2.2.1?
>Public domain or low priced commercial packages would be helpful.
>   Thanks.

I used Windows for Data, Windows for C where is used to work.
I don't know how much it costs.
--
conan@vax1.acs.udel.edu OR conan@192.5.57.1
****I only play DISC GOLF and drink tea****

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (09/20/89)

From article <4415@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, by conan@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert B Carroll):
> In article <1989Sep20.000443.18268@rpi.edu> fargo@pawl20.pawl.rpi.edu.UUCP (Irwin M. Fargo) writes:
>>Can anyone point me towards a windowing system for SCO Xenix 286, v2.2.1?
>>Public domain or low priced commercial packages would be helpful.
>>   Thanks.
>
> I used Windows for Data, Windows for C where is used to work.
> I don't know how much it costs.

  I think it cost around 800.00. I wouldn't consider it low priced.
You would think with X-windows the price would drop on such a product.
Maybe their volumed dropped. You can't get Xwindows for the 286 anyways.
Has anyone ever tried to port the public domain Window Manager over
to a Xenix 286 platform? Hey their is another company AE Windows that
offers a window package for the 286 Xenix. I seen there ad in the
back of one of the Unix magazines. They have a bbs you can call and
test out the windowing software online. The windows where not bad.
The price was somewhere around 400 to 500 range.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda                                *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun,dasiy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

ta2@acci.com (Tom Allebrandi) (09/21/89)

In article <1989Sep20.000443.18268@rpi.edu>, fargo@rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) writes:
> Can anyone point me towards a windowing system for SCO Xenix 286, v2.2.1?
> Public domain or low priced commercial packages would be helpful.
>    Thanks.

Greenleaf Software's DataWindows has recently been become available
for Xenix and VAX/VMS. You might try calling them for more information.
They are at 800-523-9830 in Dallas Texas.

I'm not real sure whether it will run on Xenix 2.2.1. I know it runs
on Xenix SysV 2.3.1. If 2.2.1 uses the System V style of ioctl() calls
for terminal functions, it ought to fly.

--
Tom Allebrandi  | Advanced Computer Consulting,Inc  |  Charlottesville, VA
804 977 4272    | VMS User's Network Working Group -- The DECUS UUCP people

terry@tah386.manhattan.ks.us (Terry Hull) (09/21/89)

In article <609@fiver.UUCP> palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>From article <4415@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, by conan@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert B Carroll):

>> I used Windows for Data, Windows for C where is used to work.
>> I don't know how much it costs.
>
>  I think it cost around 800.00. I wouldn't consider it low priced.
Me either.

>You would think with X-windows the price would drop on such a product.

Why?  The X Window system does not compete with Windows for Data.  X is
a network transparent windowing system for bitmapped displays.  Windows for
C and Windows for data constitute a protable windowing system for data
entry on character based displays.  Further, X does not provide the
facilites for data entry into a database system.  You would need Windows
for Data in conjunction with X not instead of X.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University

vemis@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Jeff Mo) (09/22/89)

fargo@rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) writes:
>Can anyone point me towards a windowing system for SCO Xenix 286, v2.2.1?
>Public domain or low priced commercial packages would be helpful.

We have used Terminal Control from MainStream Systems in Dallas.
We got the source and have compiled and used it under MS-DOS (no
flames, please :-)  ), SCO Xenix 286 and 386.  I don't know the
price, but I got the idea it was reasonable.  Also no royalties.

Jeff Mo, Vision-Ease MIS department, Optifacts division.  St. Cloud, MN, USA

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!vemis
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!vemis@nosc.mil
INET: vemis@pnet51.cts.com

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (09/23/89)

In article <1989Sep20.000443.18268@rpi.edu> fargo@pawl20.pawl.rpi.edu.UUCP (Irwin M. Fargo) writes:
>Can anyone point me towards a windowing system for SCO Xenix 286, v2.2.1?
>Public domain or low priced commercial packages would be helpful.

You'll find what you are looking for available for anonymous UUCP transfer
residing in /usr3/public/wm286.tar on conexch.  There's a Systems/L.sys
entry in the .signature.

Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

ray@madnix.UUCP (Ray P. Hill) (10/02/89)

In article <37470@conexch.UUCP> root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) writes:
| In article <1989Sep20.000443.18268@rpi.edu> fargo@pawl20.pawl.rpi.edu.UUCP
| (Irwin M. Fargo) writes:
| > Can anyone point me towards a windowing system for SCO Xenix 286, v2.2.1?
| > Public domain or low priced commercial packages would be helpful.
| You'll find what you are looking for available for anonymous UUCP transfer
| residing in /usr3/public/wm286.tar on conexch.  There's a Systems/L.sys
| entry in the .signature.
|
| Larry Dighera
| --
| USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
| TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)
| UUCP: conexch Any ACU 2400 17148425851 ogin:-""-ogin:-""-ogin: nuucp
| UUCP: ...!uunet!spsd!conexch!root || ...!ccicpg!conexch!root

What a utility! No 286 XENIX should be without this one. Its like having
multi-screens at any terminal not just the console. Who's been keeping this
program a secret?

Thanks Larry for anonymous UUCP to get to it.

						Ray Hill
--
UUCP: {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!ray
                                 {decvax|att}!

goer@sophist.uucp (Richard Goerwitz) (10/03/89)

In article <915@madnix.UUCP> ray@madnix.UUCP (Ray P. Hill) writes,
regarding /usr3/public/wm286.tar on conexch:

>What a utility! No 286 XENIX should be without this one. Its like having
>multi-screens at any terminal not just the console. Who's been keeping this
>program a secret?

Do I hear wm386?

                                       -Richard L. Goerwitz
                                       goer@sophist.uchicago.edu
                                       rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer

rac@sherpa.UUCP (Roger Cornelius) (10/11/89)

Re: the windowing system recently talked about in the following post:

-From: ray@madnix.UUCP (Ray P. Hill)
-Newsgroups: comp.unix.xenix
-Subject: Re: Windowing system
-Date: 1 Oct 89 21:49:14 GMT
-
-| (Irwin M. Fargo) writes:
-| > Can anyone point me towards a windowing system for SCO Xenix 286, v2.2.1?
-| > Public domain or low priced commercial packages would be helpful.
-| You'll find what you are looking for available for anonymous UUCP transfer
-| residing in /usr3/public/wm286.tar on conexch.  There's a Systems/L.sys
-| entry in the .signature.
-|
-| Larry Dighera
-| --
-| USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
-| TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)
-| UUCP: conexch Any ACU 2400 17148425851 ogin:-""-ogin:-""-ogin: nuucp
-| UUCP: ...!uunet!spsd!conexch!root || ...!ccicpg!conexch!root
-
-What a utility! No 286 XENIX should be without this one. Its like having
-multi-screens at any terminal not just the console. Who's been keeping this
-program a secret?
-
-Thanks Larry for anonymous UUCP to get to it.
-
-						Ray Hill
---
-UUCP: {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!ray
-                                 {decvax|att}!

This package also runs fine under 2.3.2 (update R) on the 286, and
you don't need to install the pty stuff since 2.3.2 already has them.

2.3.2 also has mscreen which is similar, but I haven't figured out how
to get it working yet.  I tried the included wyse50 mscreencap entry
while using a wyse50e, but it just displayed the mscreen menu, cleared
the screen, then locked up.  Does anyone have a working mscreencap entry
for ansi which will work from a console multiscreen?  I assume one
created for Xenix 386 would work the same on the 286.

Roger
--
Roger A. Cornelius           rac@sherpa            uunet!sherpa!rac

weekley@oldcolo.UUCP (Bob Weekley) (10/11/89)

In article <915@madnix.UUCP> ray@madnix.UUCP (Ray P. Hill) writes,
regarding /usr3/public/wm286.tar on conexch:

>What a utility! No 286 XENIX should be without this one. Its like having
>multi-screens at any terminal not just the console. Who's been keeping this
>program a secret?

Could one of you please describe the functioning of this utility?
I do not have the liberty to arbitrarily load it to try it out, but it
piques my interest.

What does it require of the terminal? i.e. ansi? VT100? cursor control?

As much as GUI's (pronounced 'gooey') are on the horizon, a text based
windowing emulator for EASE OF USE would be a welcome bridge for those
who don't possess a mega-machine yet.

And, oh yes, how does it run on a 386 host?

Robert R. Weekley @ oldcolo.UUCP
                             THE OLD COLORADO CITY ELECTRONIC COTTAGE
      | Standard |          2502 W. Colorado Ave. #203; C.S., CO 80904
      |Disclaimer|           (719) 632-3391 [8-N-1]; 632-4848 [voice]

   "Freedom is the opportunity for self dicipline" -Dwight D. Eisenhower

-