[comp.unix.xenix] upper limit of NFILE and NINODE on 286?

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (10/12/89)

What, if any would be the upper limit that may be
set for NFILE and NINODE in /usr/sys/conf/master for
a 286?

What determines this limit?

What would be the most painless way of finding out
if a value has taken effect for these variables?

Many thanks in advance as usual.
--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell,vector}!warble!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | (PSEUDO) DOMAIN: barton@holston.UUCP

In article <631@holston.UUCP>, barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:
> What, if any would be the upper limit that may be
> set for NFILE and NINODE in /usr/sys/conf/master for

I have also recently received mail concerning a NOFILE
variable which supposedly limits the number of open files
per process.

However, on sco xenix 2.2.1, I see no such animal in the
master.

Is this value hard coded into the kernal? What is it's value?

Again, many thanks.
--

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (10/16/89)

In article <632@holston.UUCP> barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:
>In article <631@holston.UUCP>, barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:
>> What, if any would be the upper limit that may be
>> set for NFILE and NINODE in /usr/sys/conf/master for
>I have also recently received mail concerning a NOFILE
>variable which supposedly limits the number of open files
>per process.
>However, on sco xenix 2.2.1, I see no such animal in the
>master.

If you will run the sysadmsh and do a configure options, you will
see one option for disk and buffers.  NFILE is the number of open
files that you can have simultaneously (I think it defaults to 100).
It can create problems as you have more users.  You will see
a msg come up on the console    NOFILE
NOFILE
NOFILE
without any further explanation.  Just kill a few of the tasks,
reconfigure the kernel, reboot the system, and you problems
will be take care of.

--
.. Computer Consulting Service     ..      Bob Willey        ..
.. P.O. Drawer 1690                ..    uunet!consult!bob   ..