[comp.unix.xenix] lan workplace, dos/xenix network, etc

danielw@wyn386.UUCP (Daniel Wynalda) (10/19/89)

I recently installed SCO Xenix-Net and Excelan LAN workplace software
on two 80386 machines and I must say I like it.  There are alot of
"perks" having your WHOLE FILESYSTEM mounted on a remote machine -- for
example you can read/write any terminal on the other machine just by opening
a filename.  (I know this wont seem like much to those of you that use
bigger machines or NFS/RFS, but this is new to us micro folks).

Now that I am impressed with this system, is there anyone out there who's
tied DOS machines into this type of network and used the SCO Xenix
machines as file servers.  The reason I ask is this:

I have a DOS ONLY application that monitors production equipment and updates
logs/files in MSDOS to keep track of information regarding production.  I'd
like to put these files on a XENIX fileserver so I can access/create the files
with the dos machine (full time dedicated) and still be able to get into
the files on our Xenix hosts -- to generate some custom reporting.

Before someone says "why don't you just get the monitoring program running
under Xenix", I went to Chicago yesterday and asked.  That is a ways down
the road for them and I don't get source to this graphics/monitoring program
for Printing Press equipment.  However, if I could get at it's files it'd
be great.

What I'm looking for is input from anyone running LAN workplace and
Xenix-Net from a DOS machine to use files on a Xenix filesystem under
DOS.

Your help, as always, is appreciated.   -- In fact this network is becoming
more and more invaluable in this field.

			Daniel Wynalda

--
Daniel Wynalda 		| Telephone: (616) 866-1561 X22	 Ham: N8KUD
Wynalda Litho Inc. 	| Network: danielw@wyn386.UUCP ..sharkey!wyn386!danielw

root@taumet.UUCP (Super user) (10/20/89)

In article <124@wyn386.UUCP> danielw@wyn386.UUCP (Daniel Wynalda) writes:
>I recently installed SCO Xenix-Net and Excelan LAN workplace software
>on two 80386 machines and I must say I like it.
>
> [Stuff deleted]
>
>Now that I am impressed with this system, is there anyone out there who's
>tied DOS machines into this type of network and used the SCO Xenix
>machines as file servers.

We have 5 DOS machines connected to a single Xenix-Net file server through
Excelan LAN workplace software.  Using the Xenix machine as a virtual disk
to run DOS programs works. However, it can be painfully slow.  For most
applications it takes too long for a file on the Xenix file server to be
copied into memory on the DOS machines.

We mostly use the Xenix file server as a common location to backup important
files on our DOS machines.  If we need to use a file on the file server we
usually copy it over to a hard disk on our DOS machines beforehand.

		    Michael S. Lueke
		    Taumetric Corp., San Diego

jlydiatt@jlami.wimsey.bc.ca (Jeff Lydiatt) (10/21/89)

In <124@wyn386.UUCP>, Daniel Wynalda says:

I recently installed SCO Xenix-Net and Excelan LAN workplace software
> on two 80386 machines and I must say I like it.  There are alot of

[ Text omitted ]

> Now that I am impressed with this system, is there anyone out there who's
> tied DOS machines into this type of network and used the SCO Xenix
> machines as file servers.  The reason I ask is this:

As a pilot project, I diverted some funds to buy an el-cheapo '386 system
running SCO Xenix.  I also bought SCO Xenix-Net on spec, but only had
enough cash to run it under Async-Net - an SCO package that lets you run
Xenix-Net as an asynchonous LAN.

Friday, I hooked the '286 pc at my desk running MS Dos 3.3 into the '386
Xenix machine through Async-Net running at 38400 BPS through a computone
intelligent serial board.   I still have some tuning to do, but here
are my first impressions:

	o I agree, I like Xenix-Net too.  Having a large drive available
	  on a server is real nice.  I can finally share files.
	  However like you, I have to admit to being a newcomer and not
	  really familiar with PC-NFS.

	o The convention for mapping dos file names to xenix names seems to
	  work well.  Lower or upper case names in MS Dos map to lower case
	  on the xenix system.  Upper case names in xenix, or file names
	  not legal to MS Dos are invisible to xenix-net.  This gets around a
	  potential problem where programs like Javelin and lotus 123 fold
	  the file names to upper case automatically.

	o The dos commands and applications I did try worked successfully on
	  the server.  I tried xcopy, dir, cd, lotus 123, javelin, and
	  harvard graphics).  The application packages were located on the
	  dos machine with the data for them located on the server.  I did
	  sucessfully run the Javelin spreadsheet package from the server,
	  but with the low speed of the asynchronous LAN, I would not do it
	  again unless I was desperate.

	o I was able to successfully use the xenix printer spooler from
	  MS Dos, lotus, harvard graphics and javelin by
	  reassigning the DOS printer device "LPT1:".

	o On the downside, the documentation was not quite as polished as
	  the established Xenix products.  The installation provided by SCO
	  collided with computone's initialization setup, and it took a
	  little playing around to get async-net to work properly with
	  the intelligent serial card.  There were no hints given
	  in the docs.

	o Xenix-net seemed to have a problem copying large directories.  I
	  tried "xcopy c:bigdir /s" where "bigdir" was a directory
	  containing 10 megabytes in files up to 3 subdirectories deep.
	  For both times I tried it, the server froze at exactly the same
	  spot.  There were no error messages or any other indication.

 	o The asynchronous mode seem too slow to be really useful.
	  I can't wait to get an ethernet card to replace async-net.

--
---
"I ordered chocolate, not vanilla", I screamed.