[comp.unix.xenix] Excelan TCP/IP -> BSD sockets library?

kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) (10/21/89)

I read here in passing a while back about someone working on a BSD
socket compatibility library for Excelan TCP/IP on Xenix.

I'm interested in knowing more about this. Has anyone ported the BSD
talk program to a Xenix TCP/IP network? Any other intersting packages?

			---Kayvan
--
Kayvan Sylvan @ Transact Software, Inc. -*-  Los Altos, CA (415) 961-6112
Internet: kayvan@Transact.COM -*- UUCP: ...!{apple,pyramid,mips}!mrspoc!kayvan

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (10/21/89)

kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) writes:

>I read here in passing a while back about someone working on a BSD
>socket compatibility library for Excelan TCP/IP on Xenix.
While Excelan TCP/IP does support BSD sockets, its a matter of what
sockets.  They support the old, out of date, BSD 4.1 socket interface.

Chip passed on to me part of compatibility library for some missing
routines, and I am attempting to develop some more.  When I get some
time to get somewhere, I will let people know about it.  In particular
what I am trying to isolate is the listen socket call, which was
not part of the 4.1 set, and allows for servers to be easily implimented.

I have my doubts if I can come up with a large set of compatibility
functions, but some are possible.  What started this was smail 3.1
needing them.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235