[comp.unix.xenix] SCO Xenix 386 and VP/ix

simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) (10/17/89)

Does vp/ix allow users logged in on terminals (vt102, maybe vt220 or vt320)
to run applications meant for dos?  or do you have to be on the console?

Can terminal users run more than one dos app at a time?

I know a lot of this stuff is available for xenix (see keywords) but I'd
rather use vp/ix if it'll work the way I want.

What kind of performance do you get when 8-10 users are using vp/ix?
What about 4-5 users?  I was thinking of either a 25mhz or 33mhz machine
with 4 or 8 megs of ram.

(-: Thank you for your support :-)

--
Simon Gales@The University of Kentucky
   simon@ms.uky.edu             | 'Fate... protects fools, little children,

bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) (10/18/89)

In article <12962@s.ms.uky.edu>, simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) writes:
> Does vp/ix allow users logged in on terminals (vt102, maybe vt220 or vt320)
> to run applications meant for dos?  or do you have to be on the console?
> Can terminal users run more than one dos app at a time?
> I know a lot of this stuff is available for xenix (see keywords) but I'd
> rather use vp/ix if it'll work the way I want.
> What kind of performance do you get when 8-10 users are using vp/ix?
> What about 4-5 users?  I was thinking of either a 25mhz or 33mhz machine
> with 4 or 8 megs of ram.
> Simon Gales@The University of Kentucky
>    simon@ms.uky.edu             | 'Fate... protects fools, little children,
>    simon@UKMA.BITNET            |  and ships named Enterprise.'
>    {rutgers, uunet}!ukma!simon  |                           - Riker, ST:TNG

First of all, you CAN run VP/IX from terminals, and the vt100nam is supported.
They also support wy60 and some others.  However, you need to allocate at
least 1MB of ram for every user of VP/IX, not including xenix kernal, etc.
This means to do 4-5 users, I would recommend 8 megs minimum.  If you want
to use VP/IX, remember that disk I/O will be quite rapid, but compute
intensive tasks will seem to take forever.  For instance, I have a flow
chart program that works just fine for creating the charts, but when trying
to print, the computations to build the image for the laserjet seems to take
forever.  There is a lot of polling going on from DOS as well, and it eats
up a lot of processor time.. My suggestion is to only keep a couple of VP/IX
sessions active at any one time.  However, I am running on a 16MHZ386 box,
so you might get lucky on a 33MHZ386 box.  Terminals can only run one session
of VP/IX as far as I know.
bruce
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1}!mdi386!bruce		bruce@mdi386 tbit+

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (10/18/89)

simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) writes:

>Does vp/ix allow users logged in on terminals (vt102, maybe vt220 or vt320)
>to run applications meant for dos?  or do you have to be on the console?

>Can terminal users run more than one dos app at a time?

>I know a lot of this stuff is available for xenix (see keywords) but I'd
>rather use vp/ix if it'll work the way I want.

>What kind of performance do you get when 8-10 users are using vp/ix?
>What about 4-5 users?  I was thinking of either a 25mhz or 33mhz machine
>with 4 or 8 megs of ram.

Yes, you can run vp/ix on a terminal.  No, a terminal user is stuck as a regular
dos user.

Performance goes down.  In general you should have at least a meg of memory
for each vp/ix session in progress, plus extra for the rest of the system.
You should also have the fastest possible machine, especially if you are
going to be running multiple sessions.  Performance is not great, but it
does work.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (10/20/89)

In article <12962@s.ms.uky.edu> simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) writes:
>Does vp/ix allow users logged in on terminals (vt102, maybe vt220 or vt320)
>to run applications meant for dos?  or do you have to be on the console?
  You can run non-graphics applications from any supported terminal
  and the list of supported terminals is growing

>Can terminal users run more than one dos app at a time?
  Yes, but you have to consider the potential resources you are
  going  to tie up.

>I know a lot of this stuff is available for xenix (see keywords) but I'd
>rather use vp/ix if it'll work the way I want.
  This is not a smart move!!!  Native Xenix applications will run
  faster, more consistent, and be much less impact on the overal
  system, and  require much less resources!!

>What kind of performance do you get when 8-10 users are using vp/ix?
>What about 4-5 users?  I was thinking of either a 25mhz or 33mhz machine
>with 4 or 8 megs of ram.

  Performance for 8-10 users will be poor.  You need a minimum of 2mb
  per user for large applications.  1mb per user is a dead minimum, plus
  2 mb of general resources for VP/ix.  So for 10 users, you are looking
  at 2 + 10*1  = 12mb of ram.   And you will be eating up many many
  cpu cycles!!!   VP/ix is NOT a multiuser DOS environment, but rather
  an environment to run your few DOS applications that will never
  be ported to Xenix.  (IMHO)

Hope this helps.
--
.. Computer Consulting Service     ..      Bob Willey        ..
.. P.O. Drawer 1690                ..    uunet!consult!bob   ..

dave@pmafire.UUCP (Dave Remien) (10/22/89)

In article <162@mdi386.UUCP> bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) writes:
[...]

I haven't tried this; it would depend on whether VP/IX takes over ^Z,
but would shell layers (shl) allow multiple sessions? Not that one would
want to.

When VP/IX goes into slo-mo territory (anything that starts output to
the printer goes into near catatonia), the only solution I've found is to
make the kernel context switch more often. One of the tunable parameters
(mtune?) is MAXSLICE, which is the time slice in HZ given to a process.
While it defaults to 100, and for V/386 3.2 has upper and lower limits
of 100, you can set the lower limit down, and set the value of MAXSLICE
to 15 or 20. (Then rebuild the kernel, of course). For me, this cut the
time for a program to do a screen dump (EGA) and send it to an HP
Paintjet from 8 to 10 minutes under VP/IX down to 2.5 minutes.

At least DOS-Merge has the fast clock option, which eliminates this
behavior.  Not to mention timeoutable flushing of the print queue,
though I understand that the latest version of VP/IX doesn't need the
doscmd flush barf.

Note that switching MAXSLICE to a smaller value causes the kernel to
spend more CPU time on playing with the run queue, but for us, it was
the only way to get VP/IX to do anything in less than a year or so.
--
Dave Remien - WINCO Computer Eng. Group -{uunet | bigtex}!pmafire!dave-
I certainly, absolutely, positively, don't speak for Westinghouse. And I