[comp.unix.xenix] EMACS on 386 Xenix

CURRAN@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Curran, Jim) (10/13/89)

Hi,
	I've been unsuccessful at putting JOVE together on a 386 Xenix
Model 80.  Has anyone put together JOVE or some other Emacs clone on
a 386 Xenix system?  Thanks in advance.
					Jim
curran%rcgl1@eng.eng.ohio-state.edu

romkey@asylum.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (10/15/89)

In article <3234@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> CURRAN@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Curran, Jim) writes:
>	I've been unsuccessful at putting JOVE together on a 386 Xenix
>Model 80.  Has anyone put together JOVE or some other Emacs clone on
>a 386 Xenix system?  Thanks in advance.

I run proper GNU Emacs on asylum. It compiles fine under SCO Xenix 386
2.3.1 with no modifications other than configuring it.

srivas@udel.edu (Mandayam Srivas) (10/16/89)

In article <7459@asylum.SF.CA.US> romkey@asylum.UUCP (Super user) writes:
>I run proper GNU Emacs on asylum. It compiles fine under SCO Xenix 386
>2.3.1 with no modifications other than configuring it.

I run uEmacs 3.9 on 286 Xenix2.2.3, works fine. The same source, compiled on
386AT 2.3.2 Xenix has several bugs especially when deleting buffers, or
switching windows - the editor seems to loose its idea about where the cursor
is, but regains it on typing something in the buffer. I wonder if this is a bug
in uEmacs or 386AT Xenix. I did not look into the source code, since there
already is a version 3.10 of uEmacs out.

Srivas

clark@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Clark Brown) (10/22/89)

In article <7459@asylum.SF.CA.US>, romkey@asylum.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) writes:
 In article <3234@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> CURRAN@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Curran, Jim) writes:
>	I've been unsuccessful at putting JOVE together on a 386 Xenix
> >Model 80.  Has anyone put together JOVE or some other Emacs clone on
> >a 386 Xenix system?  Thanks in advance.
I have been running MicroEmacs 3.9 (available in the Usenet archives).  It
compiled and ran greate right out of the box...

Clark

fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) (10/23/89)

I have easily compiled and installed GNU emacs 18.55 under SCO Xenix i386
2.3.2.
But if you have less than 4 MB I can't recommend the usage of GNU emacs.
Try MicroEmacs instead.

-Axel
--
Domain:        fischer@netmbx.UUCP
Europe:        ...!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer

wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) (10/23/89)

>I have easily compiled and installed GNU emacs 18.55 under SCO Xenix i386
>2.3.2.
>But if you have less than 4 MB I can't recommend the usage of GNU emacs.
>Try MicroEmacs instead.

	The absolute best emacs for Xenix (and DOS) is Epsilon from Lugaru
Software.  $195 retail, $150 from Programmers Shop, Programmers Connection,
etc.  Very fast, much closer to GNUemacs than Microemacs (I-search works),
very well integrated into Xenix and Dos (Allows executing programs within
an emacs buffer, provides FLOWCTRL option for people who cannot send ^S).
Also provides a complete C-like programming language, with source code for
the commands.  I just wish it were available for more machines.

Bill Pearson

ORCUTT@cc.utah.edu (10/25/89)