[comp.unix.xenix] Need more memory for old Compaq 386/20

paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) (10/23/89)

I have 5 megB of memory in my old Compaq 386/20 which is no longer
making.  I would like to increase to 8 megB for X-windows (Xsight).
My dealer won't co-operate with me because he just want
me to buy another computer.  I am told that it is better to use all
system memory in one 32 bits slot card.   I am running Xenix 386 2.3.2
(I am working on upgrading to Unix 3.2).  Can you please help me on
locating dealer or distributor?

It would be nice to include email address or fax number since I am
totally deaf.

Thanks in advance,

Willy

p.s.  I am writing this for my own to use Xenix/computer at home, not
for my corporation.  Believe me that at work I am running DECwindow in
25 megB memory computer!

also  uunet!nwnexus!seaeast!willyp

akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (10/24/89)

>I have 5 megB of memory in my old Compaq 386/20 which is no longer
>making.  I would like to increase to 8 megB for X-windows (Xsight).
>My dealer won't co-operate with me because he just want
>me to buy another computer.  I am told that it is better to use all
>system memory in one 32 bits slot card.   I am running Xenix 386 2.3.2
>(I am working on upgrading to Unix 3.2).  Can you please help me on
>locating dealer or distributor?

Since I've purchased AKCS from Karl at ddsw1 - I've received first class
support - even including weekend calls - and twice he has called into
my machine to make sure everything was running smooth.

BTW - do you have that new Fidonet package available for pickup via
PEP?  I'm about to install UFgate under VP/ix so the local Fidonet guys
can get a taste of Usenet -

Larry

paine@rust.dec.com (Willy Paine) (10/24/89)

I used to run ufgate for over two years but this is no HoneyBanDer
stuffs at all.   YOu can not run over 2400 bauds at all and  Pozar is
working on this porting from gnuucp file so that this would run on fast
modem.   You can try ufgate with only 2400 bauds or less...  For more
information, I suggest to read UFGATE echomail.

If you have specific question to me only, email to me since I don't read
every xenix message.

willy

vemis@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Jeff Mo) (10/26/89)

paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:

>I have 5 megB of memory in my old Compaq 386/20 which is no longer
>making.  I would like to increase to 8 megB for X-windows (Xsight).

While the 386/20 is no longer being made, the memory modules
for the /20 are the same as those used in the 386/25, which
is still being made.  ANY Compaq dealer can sell you memory for
the /25, which is identical to the memory used in the /20.
The 4-Mb memory module for both the /20 and /25 is Compaq
part number 133132-001.

Disclaimer:  No connection with Compaq.

Jeff Mo, Vision-Ease MIS department, Optifacts division.  St. Cloud, MN, USA

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!vemis
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!vemis@nosc.mil
INET: vemis@pnet51.cts.com