[comp.unix.xenix] packdisk on Xenix

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (10/20/89)

I just ran Karl Denninger's port of packdisk on my xenix system.  On my
root filesystem, running packdisk from a bootable/root floppy, packdisk
wasn't able to allocate enough memory for the entire inode list, so it
ran a bit slower (according to it's message).  On a 72 meg partition,
88% full, it took 3 hours, 9 minutes, 36 seconds.  This partition has
been in existance for about a year without being emptied and reloaded.
Karl did a very good job in the port.

My only feelings is that it is faster to do a complete backup, verify,
mkfs, and restore of a filesystem than it is to run packdisk.  Packdisk
has the advantage of not needing anybody standing by, but the filesystem
should still be backed up first.  I should note that running packdisk on
a filesystem that is not too fragmented does go much faster.  If
packdisk is run regularly then it is faster than the backup and restore
cycle I described above.

My complements to Rick Richardson for an excellent program.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (10/21/89)

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:

>I just ran Karl Denninger's port of packdisk on my xenix system.  On my

>My complements to Rick Richardson for an excellent program.
		   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oops.  My complements should go to Andrew Fyfe, who is the author of the
packdisk program.  Sorry.

JB
--

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (10/21/89)

In article <1191@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:

>I just ran Karl Denninger's port of packdisk on my xenix system.
>Karl did a very good job in the port.
>My complements to Rick Richardson for an excellent program.

Lets get the credits for "packdisk" correct:

	Andrew Fyfe	-	Wrote the Original Program
					GETS THE KUDOS!
	George Sipe	-	Fixed it for pre-ANSI C compilers
					-DOLDC
	Rick Richardson	-	Did port for 286en and changed an
				algorithm that was quadratic.
					-DSMALL, -DSHORTFREE, RERSPEEDUP
	Karl Denninger	-	Did port for Xenix
					-DM_XENIX

BTW, there is also a "branch" of packdisk, after my changes, but
before Karl's that was done by Karl Lehenbauer (-DI386).  These
changes are for UNIX V/386 Rel 3.2.  I'm going to be merging
Karl L.'s changes back into Karl D.'s latest version.  Since I
have both a 286 and a 386 running UNIX V,  I'll be able to
regression test.

Then, the whole package is going back to Andrew Fyfe, so he can
repost it to comp.sources.misc.  And get proper kudos!!!!!!

--
Rick Richardson |       Looking for FAX software for UNIX/386 ??????     mention
PC Research,Inc.|                  WE'RE SHIPPING			 your

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (10/27/89)

According to jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer):
>My only feelings is that it is faster to do a complete backup, verify,
>mkfs, and restore of a filesystem than it is to run packdisk.

Yes, but once you've cleaned your disk you can't interrupt the procedure
until you've finished the restoration.  Packdisk can be interrupted.
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>