[comp.unix.xenix] Trailblazer w/ UUCP: low throughput

stratton@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Jim Stratton) (10/25/89)

I'm trying to get a trailblazer T25AA modem to run HDB UUCP at high speed
on my Xenix 386 system, release 2.3.1.  I'm using dialTBIT as the dialer
program and I can only get about 6100 baud max throughput.  Rough timings
of cu "catting" a file yield about 11000 baud throughput.  Could someone
send me the TB register settings/dialer scripts/etc. that are needed to
get the TB to run at a higher throughput?  Much thanks,
--
Jim Stratton	stratton%hpcupt1@hplabs.hp.com

scotto@pnet01.cts.com (Scott O'Connell) (10/25/89)

stratton@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Jim Stratton) writes:
>I'm trying to get a trailblazer T25AA modem to run HDB UUCP at high speed
>on my Xenix 386 system, release 2.3.1.  I'm using dialTBIT as the dialer
>program and I can only get about 6100 baud max throughput.  Rough timings
>of cu "catting" a file yield about 11000 baud throughput.  Could someone
>send me the TB register settings/dialer scripts/etc. that are needed to
>get the TB to run at a higher throughput?  Much thanks,
>--
>Jim Stratton	stratton%hpcupt1@hplabs.hp.com

What is the T25AA?

If you're talking about a T2500 (or other PEP capable modem) I can assure
you that when you initialize the modem with "dialTBIT -z /dev/ttyxx 19200"
that the modem is properly configured.   What you may be forgetting to do
is enable the UUCP mode.  To do this, add "Uu" to the phone number in your
Systems file entry.  Example:

systemname Any ACU 19200 5551212Uu etc...

The dialer will parse the phone number to enable options in the modem.  You
will find there are many modes that can be enabled.  The dialer will return
an error if you try to enable incompatible options.

If your modem is a T2500, a friend and I modified the dialer for V32 support
and fixed some other problems with the T2500.
I'm consistantly getting better than 1400cps on a variety of machines with
PEP modems.

-- Scott
crash!scotto

akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (10/26/89)

>program and I can only get about 6100 baud max throughput.  Rough timings
>of cu "catting" a file yield about 11000 baud throughput.  Could someone
>send me the TB register settings/dialer scripts/etc. that are needed to

Make sure you set the modem up with hardware handshaking and lock
the interface at 19200.  I am running SCO 2.3.2 and 9 times out of 10
get 1400+ cps on transfers using dialTBIT.   I'll email my nram
configuration.

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (10/27/89)

In article <[25462daf:112.1]comp.unix.xenix;1@nstar.UUCP-> akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
->>program and I can only get about 6100 baud max throughput.  Rough timings
->>of cu "catting" a file yield about 11000 baud throughput.  Could someone
->>send me the TB register settings/dialer scripts/etc. that are needed to
->
->Make sure you set the modem up with hardware handshaking and lock
->the interface at 19200.  I am running SCO 2.3.2 and 9 times out of 10
->get 1400+ cps on transfers using dialTBIT.   I'll email my nram
->configuration.

And make sure that both modems DON'T have s111 set to 255.  This is a common
mistake.  The  way all the local nodes around here have done is set s111=255
in nvram, and then place the calls AFTER resetting s111=30.  You can NOT
change this after the connection.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP