[comp.unix.xenix] SCO 3.2 UNIX

bobr@netcom.UUCP (R. Rieger) (10/29/89)

I have heard of several bugs in the new 3.2 release of UNIX and thought I
would add a few more to the list.  It appears that SCO compiled all of the
uucp files with HZ=50.  That is what is should be for XENIX.  The HZ value
on 3.2 is 100.  Big difference!  I was getting alarms and the results in
the xferstats file were off by a factor of two i.e., modem throughput
appeared to be very slow.   The SCO support staff told me I had a modem
problem and that new uucp works perfect!

For the Smart Ass at SCO that took my tech support call and insisted that
I had my Telebits set up incorrectly...   F**K you dumb shit!

I know there are several other bugs in 3.2 and would be interested in
knowing what problems other people have encountered.  Please let me
know and I will post a summary (if I have enough disk space).

I found one other bug that was a real problem!  For some reason and
I still do not know why,  a file named /etc/auth/system/tty-t would
get created.  Once created,  no one could login.  That pretty bad!
The bug has not been corrected yet.  I wrote a small C program that
checks for the existance of the file,  and if it exists it gets unlinked.
It is a rotten bandage,  but the system is up and running.  Any comments
on this one would be appreciated.

I was able to (with the help of Rick Francis) create some scrips to create
user accounts in a batch mode (SCO said that is was IMPOSSIBLE).  A utility
do do this should be supplied with the OS.  Con you imagine creating several
hundered accounts manually.....

All in all,  the SCO port is very clean and was very easy to install.
One should expect to see a marage of bugs in any new release.

	Bob Rieger
// NetCom Services               The Bay Area's Public Access Unix System  //

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (10/29/89)

In article <3447@netcom.UUCP> bobr@netcom.UUCP (R. Rieger) wrote:
>I found one other bug that was a real problem!  For some reason and
>I still do not know why,  a file named /etc/auth/system/tty-t would
>get created.  Once created,  no one could login.

SCO UNIX 3.2 has some security extensions beyond standard UNIX practice.
This may be one of them.  There's a choice in one of the
sysadm menus to disable all the security extensions.

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	(415) 493-9000		karish@forel.stanford.edu

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (10/30/89)

From article <6212@portia.Stanford.EDU>, by karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish):
> In article <3447@netcom.UUCP> bobr@netcom.UUCP (R. Rieger) wrote:
>>I found one other bug that was a real problem!  For some reason and
>>I still do not know why,  a file named /etc/auth/system/tty-t would
>>get created.  Once created,  no one could login.
>
> SCO UNIX 3.2 has some security extensions beyond standard UNIX practice.
> This may be one of them.  There's a choice in one of the
> sysadm menus to disable all the security extensions.

  Gee no wonder the goverment require this. All the users would of the
  system would get lots of coffee breaks.

  I was wondering though, can root still login?

  What kind of security feature is this? When the system thinks some
  is wrong it locks everyone out?  Just curious.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  pacbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400