[comp.unix.xenix] Internal Modem on Xenix 386

corwin@polari.UUCP (Don Glover) (10/11/89)

I set up my Xenix 386 system and had some problem getting my internal
modem to respond, found out that I had to set up the devices file
so got that going and things seemed to be fine.  Now I set up a terminal
on com1  and my internal modem is com2 and I cannot get the modem to answer
in coming calls anymore, cu will not access it to do out going calls.
the only change I have made is to setup to use the com1 with a terminal.
Any ideas out there as to what I may messed up unkowingly?

akcs.ericc@vpnet.UUCP (Eric Christiansen) (10/22/89)

I have heard that Xenix requires a patch for using an internal modem. Try
contacting SCO.

shawn@marilyn.UUCP (Shawn P. Stanley) (10/27/89)

In article <[2540f8f6:24.1]comp.unix.xenix;1@vpnet.UUCP> akcs.ericc@vpnet.UUCP (Eric Christiansen) writes:
>I have heard that Xenix requires a patch for using an internal modem. Try
>contacting SCO.

Not so.  Internal modems act just like a serial port with an external modem
permanently affixed.  The multi-port (4, 6, 8, etc.) serial boards do usually
require special drivers, however.

fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) (10/29/89)

In article <[2540f8f6:24.1]comp.unix.xenix;1@vpnet.UUCP> akcs.ericc@vpnet.UUCP (Eric Christiansen) writes:
>I have heard that Xenix requires a patch for using an internal modem. Try
>contacting SCO.

Say what?

How do rumors such as is get started?
Fred Rump

--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr

corwin@polari.UUCP (Don Glover) (10/30/89)

In article <[2540f8f6:24.1]comp.unix.xenix;1@vpnet.UUCP>, akcs.ericc@vpnet.UUCP (Eric Christiansen) writes:
> I have heard that Xenix requires a patch for using an internal modem. Try
> contacting SCO.

I can tell you for sure that Xenix 386  (and 286 does not need a special driver
for internal modems that I know of.  I am currently calling out on a 386 machinerunning under xenix 386 with a US robotics sportster 2400, works fine as long
as you get the modem set up correctly.