[comp.unix.xenix] Using DOS from within Xenix

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (11/09/89)

lewis@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Rob Lewis) writes:

>    Can one use DOS on the same machine that is
>running Xenix without doing a shutdown?  If so,
>how?

You use VP/ix, available from SCO.

--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

marc@octel.UUCP (Marc Lewert) (11/09/89)

>    Can one use DOS on the same machine that is
>running Xenix without doing a shutdown?  If so,
>how?
>
>                                Thanks in advance,
>                                       Rob

The answer is "sort of".  SCO sells a product called VP/ix which is
MSDOS running under Xenix.  I have found (I use it daily) that it works
for most things.  The software I have had trouble with (and have not taken
the time to figure out why) is PolyShell.

One major drawback (at least on my 16 MHz 386) is that the speed with which
data is sent to the printer is very slow.  I usually generate the output to
a file and then print it under Xenix.

[ Marc Lewert                      Phone: (408) 942-6626                ]
[ Octel Communications Corp.       USENET: ...!vsi1!octel!marc          ]
[ 890 Tasman Dr.		   AspenNet(tm): (408) 942-6700 MB 6626 ]
[ Milpitas, CA 95035                                                    ]