[comp.unix.xenix] IBM and Apple Operating Systems

In article <2526@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
> In article <6615@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> # If this was the case then the Macintosh would be the computer everyone
> # feels disdain for. Making effective use of a DOS machine is much, much

> Missed all the nasty remarks about the "Macintoy" a while back?

See any from me? I tried to talk my own brother into buying one of the
things.

> # Largely because where the Mac is limited by its origins, DOS is limited
> # by deliberate malice on the part of IBM and Microsoft.

> I think a more accurate statement is that DOS is limited by its
> age.

Fiddlesticks, again. It's younger than UNIX, OS/9, MP/M, and a dozen other
operating systems that ran on the same or similar hardware.

> (Of course, Microsoft's approach to software doesn't excite
> me much either, but comparing DOS -- still largely limited by
> hardware compatibility problems from 1979 design requirements) to
> the Mac (five very fast years later) isn't particularly fair.

Right. Single-tasking was forced by a hardware design requirement. The
lack of ANY support for serial I/O was a hardware design requirement.
The original system was a poor copy of CP/M, chosen only because it
was cheap and IBM was pissed at Digital Research (thanks to some stupidity
on the part of Gary Kildall).
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (10/25/89)

In article <6661@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) wrote:
 >The original system was a poor copy of CP/M, chosen only because it
 >was cheap and IBM was pissed at Digital Research (thanks to some stupidity
 >on the part of Gary Kildall).

What few people seem to remember is that IBM originally offered a choice
of THREE operating systems: MSDOS, CPM-86, and UCSD p-System.  Of these,
MSDOS was not only the cheapest, but also quite compatible with CPM-80,
allowing mechanical translation of 8080 programs (in fact, MSDOS still
supports the CP/M entry point and calling convention).
--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46

las) (10/26/89)

In article <6661@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
}In article <2526@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
}} In article <6615@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

}} # Largely because where the Mac is limited by its origins, DOS is limited
}} # by deliberate malice on the part of IBM and Microsoft.

}} I think a more accurate statement is that DOS is limited by its
}} age.

}Fiddlesticks, again. It's younger than UNIX, OS/9, MP/M, and a dozen other
}operating systems that ran on the same or similar hardware.

}Right. Single-tasking was forced by a hardware design requirement. The
}lack of ANY support for serial I/O was a hardware design requirement.
}The original system was a poor copy of CP/M, chosen only because it
}was cheap and IBM was pissed at Digital Research (thanks to some stupidity
}on the part of Gary Kildall).

"Cheap" is probably the true operative word here.  I don't attribute
"malice" to IBM & MicroSoft, that's a little too strong - I might agree
to "attitude problem."   Everything about the PC design was cheap and
that is certainly consistant with DOS which began life a cheap CP/M
rehash.  I don't agree that single-tasking is forced by a hardware
design requirement, though I suppose that you could make a case that a
small base memory configuration and the use of a slow 8088 processor
are hardware design limitations for a truly useful multi-tasking system,
so maybe I do agree after all.  Of course, anybody who remembers what it
originally cost to buy PC or XT back then might balk at the "cheap"
characterization, but I'm talking about cheap design, not cheap end-user
price.

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (cbema!las@att.ATT.COM or att!cbema!las)
Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (10/26/89)

In article <254532d1@ralf> Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:

>What few people seem to remember is that IBM originally offered a choice
>of THREE operating systems: MSDOS, CPM-86, and UCSD p-System.  Of these,
>MSDOS was not only the cheapest, but also quite compatible with CPM-80,

Yes, I remember.  I ordered the original PC in September of 1981.
I ordered both CPM-86 and MSDOS with the hardware.  But it took about
6 months before my system was delivered.  By that time, the market had
already decided on MSDOS, probably because of the $40 price, and I cancelled
the CPM-86 (about $195?).  Later, in December of 1983, I dropped MSDOS
altogether and switched to Venix/86 ($995, I think, but I traded a Maynard
disk driver for the software).  By then, I had a 10MB hard disk and a
5MB removable Syquest drive.

--
Rick Richardson |       Looking for FAX software for UNIX/386 ??????     mention
PC Research,Inc.|                  WE'RE SHIPPING			 your

jmp@asihub.UUCP (John Pantone) (10/29/89)

"Never attribute to conspiracy (or malice) that which is adequately
explained by stupidity" - unknown author (comment mine)

Microsoft and IBM simply blew it when designing MSDOS and the PC.  They
certainly didn't WANT to produce a weak, overpriced, under-powered computer
with a toy operating system which was behind the times before its time.

They just DID!

--
John M. Pantone	     jmp@asihub.uucp       {uunet|ncr-sd}!asihub!jmp
Objectech Corporation, P.O.Box 27168, San Diego CA, 92128 (619)679-8646

All opinions are my own as this is a guest account.

dmt@pegasus.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (10/29/89)

>In article <6661@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>
>} Single-tasking was forced by a hardware design requirement.
	I'm not sure this is quite accurate.  See below.

>}The lack of ANY support for serial I/O was a hardware design requirement.
	Are you sure it's a requirement that there be no support, or are you
	saying that there were no strong requirements for support?  (It IS
	true that the support supplied, INT 14 of the BIOS, was totally
	useless.)

In article <10609@cbnews.ATT.COM> cbema!las@cbnews.ATT.COM (Larry A. Shurr,20650,cb,9a110,6148605851) writes:
>"Cheap" is probably the true operative word here.
>Everything about the PC design was cheap and
>that is certainly consistant with DOS which began life a cheap CP/M
>rehash.
	I agree with Larry and Peter in this regard.  However, a CP/M ripoff
	(er, knockoff) may have seemed like a good idea at the time.  The
	markets were VERY confused at what a PC actually WAS, and CP/M
	meshed with the then-current (though non-productive) view.

>I don't agree that single-tasking is forced by a hardware
>design requirement
	I don't either.  But there was a real economic design requirement.
	A CP/M knockoff has no need for multi-tasking,
	and multi-tasking would have cost money.  (I.e.- it would have
	cost Microsoft more to develop, and they beat out DR on price.)

>...though I suppose that you could make a case that a
>small base memory configuration and the use of a slow 8088 processor
>are hardware design limitations for a truly useful multi-tasking system,

	Maybe there's a confusion that takes over when talking about this.
	There are useful multitasking OSs that work on a slow 8088 CPU.

In my opinion, the REAL problem with multitasking the PC came
LATER.  There was no pressure in 1981-82 (when the PC OS decision
was made) for multitasking.  But when people wanted it later,
the following "hardware problems" made it tough:

   -	Clearly, a multitasking OS would NOT achieve market success
	(at least from an independent vendor, not IBM) unless it ran
	the existing DOS applications.  So it had to be a "multitasking
	MSDOS", if you can imagine such a beast.  (I can; I even worked
	on one.)

   -	BUT, the developers of the existing applications had NOT written
	MS-DOS applications; they had written IBM-PC applcations.  What's
	the difference?  Well, they circumvented inadequacies in the
	OS support of the hardware by going directly to the hardware.
	The best examples of this are:
	   1.	The serial port support, as Peter notes above.
	   2.	Screen support; the BIOS was slow, and many application
		programmers went straight to the video memory.
	   3.	Memory management; why not go straight to the real memory
		address space when you're not sharing it?  Or allocate
		yourself ALL of memory, rather than take the trouble (and
		the performance hit) to allocate only what you'll need.

   -	NOW, JUST TRY TO BUILD AN OS that runs ill-behaved programs
	(in the sense that they think they know about, and even own,
	the hardware).  It will require a lot of hardware support,
	in the sense of trapping I/O, replacing the interrupt vector,
	hardware memory management, etc.  Of course, all of this is
	useful in a REAL multitasking OS, but it is ESSENTIAL in
	retrofitting DOS to be multitasking.

In my experience (and that includes the exploratory development of
a multitasking DOS),
   -	The 286 has some of what's needed.
   -	Enhanced expanded memory (i.e.- not limited to mapping above
	620K or even above 0K) adds some more.
   -	Add special hardware on a 286 motherboards for most of
	what's needed.
   -	There's enough in the 386 to do the job in software.  This includes
	the job of trapping I/O, memory use, and interrupts.

Products like DesqView, while far from perfect, do remarkably well at
a fundamentally impossible job.  And, let's not forget that there are
multitasking OSs that ran on the original XT, that were:
	Technical successes (reasonable multitasking performance).
	Market failures (couldn't run existing popular PC applications).

Summarizing my point:
   1.	DOS was inadequate from the start, even as a single-tasking OS,
	driving application developers to go straight to the hardware.
   2.	The market dominance of "standard" hardware (IBM & clones) allowed the
	developers to do this with no thought to portability.
   3.	The resulting ill-behaved applications could not be run on any
	feasible multitasking OS, without extensive hardware crutches
	to override the ill behavior.
   4.	The market dominance of these ill-behaved applications made that
	impossible criterion a prerequisite for commercial success of an OS.
	You couldn't introduce a [perfectly feasible] multitasking PC OS
	that only ran its own (or well-behaved) applications.

Note: I was there, and my company was there.  Let me make it clear that
I speak for myself.  My employer may have other opinions (or none at all).
|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Lincroft, NJ			|
|    Logical -  ...att!pegasus!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2194					|

In article <143@asihub.UUCP> jmp@asihub.UUCP (John Pantone) explains that
IBM is not guilty of deliberate malice, but rather stupidity:

> Microsoft and IBM simply blew it when designing MSDOS and the PC.  They
> certainly didn't WANT to produce a weak, overpriced, under-powered computer
> with a toy operating system which was behind the times before its time.

> They just DID!

Then how do you explain OS/2?
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.

korenek@ficc.uu.net (Gary Korenek) (10/30/89)

In article <143@asihub.UUCP>, jmp@asihub.UUCP (John Pantone) writes:
> Microsoft and IBM simply blew it when designing MSDOS and the PC...

1.  It takes a long lead-time to identify what's wanted, to "paper"
    design it, to staff up, and to do it.

2.  The pace of microcomputer technology advancement is rather fast.
    This means that in many cases by the time you get a product out
    to the market, it's obsolete (or close to it).

3.  IBM put it's tail on the line in introducing the IBM PC.  No one
    knew it would take off like a rocket.  It was a huge gamble.

4.  A compromise was made.  IBM could have waited longer, spent more
    time and money for developement, and come out with a product that
    was more sophisticated.  But they did what they did when they did
    it.

5.  Compared to the 8 bit stuff available at the time, the IBM PC (and
    MS-DOS) was a step forward.

6.  The market determines (and funds) what's done next.  Our dollars
    spent on those original PC's and MS-DOS funded what we see available
    today.

7.  Look at consumer VHS video technology.  It's in a parllel situation
    to IBM-PCs and MS-DOS.  It started as breakthrough technology.  We
    went out and bought tons of the stuff.  We demanded higher performance.
    The original design has been enhanced to meet market demands.  It now
    seems ordinary, commonplace, and almost obsolete.  Again, at the time
    of introduction, this was breakthrough stuff.

8.  The point to all this:  companies take massive gambles with new
    products.  If it had not been for the original IBM-PC and MS-DOS,
    we would not even have what we have today.

--
Gary Korenek    (korenek@ficc.uu.net)    |          This space
Ferranti International Controls Corp.    |         intentionally

In article <6723@ficc.uu.net> korenek@ficc.uu.net (Gary Korenek) writes:
> 8.  The point to all this:  companies take massive gambles with new
>     products.  If it had not been for the original IBM-PC and MS-DOS,
>     we would not even have what we have today.

No, we'd have something based on Concurrent CP/M, OS/9, SOS, or some other
decent DOS of that period. We'd have something better.

IBM didn't create the PC indusry. It doesn't do that any more. It looked and
it saw a thriving industry, and said "I want that". So it took it.
--

korenek@ficc.uu.net (Gary Korenek) (10/31/89)

In article <6724@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> In article <6723@ficc.uu.net> korenek@ficc.uu.net (Gary Korenek) writes:
> > 8.  The point to all this:  companies take massive gambles with new
> >     products.  If it had not been for the original IBM-PC and MS-DOS,
> >     we would not even have what we have today.
>
> No, we'd have something based on Concurrent CP/M, OS/9, SOS, or some other
> decent DOS of that period. We'd have something better.

    So why hasn't something better than MS-DOS been developed despite
MS-DOS?  I say it's because other companies waited to see if the IBM-PC
and MS-DOS would live or die (thus letting IBM and MS take the big risk).
Lo-and behold, it lived!  By the the time MS-DOS took hold it was too late
to go against it.

    BTW I'd like a multi-tasking O.S. (like UNIX), a VGA-quality color
display, a 100-meg. hard disk, a user interface like the Apple Macintosh,
a throughput of a 33-MHz memory-and-disk cached 386 system, at a price that
an "ordinary guy" can afford ($2000 is my threshold of pain).  Also there
must be an infinite ;^) supply of software available.  I should not have to
hold degrees in Electrical and Software Engineering to be able to
configure and use the machine.  I should not have to spend hours showing
my wife "the ropes" so she can enter a letter, format it, and print it.
If I run a Flight Simulator game it should be like I'm flying the plane,
not like I'm sitting at a PC playing a game.

     The next breakthrough in personal computers (hardware, o.s.es, and
applications software) will be the introduction of systems like I describe
above at a price that is more reasonable than 5 or 10K.  I'm waiting...

--

In article <6731@ficc.uu.net> korenek@ficc.uu.net (Gary Korenek) writes:
>     So why hasn't something better than MS-DOS been developed despite
> MS-DOS?

It has. I listed three alternatives: Concurrent CP/M, OS/9, and SOS. Also
a whole bunch of UNIX lookalikes for the hardware (Lanetix, QNX, etc),
plus real UNIX (I used Version 7 based Xenix on an XT for some time). Apple's
O/S for the Mac has a number of advantages. And how about the Amiga Exec?
That's a real-time O/S with a fast windowing front-end for novices.

The only one of these that's caught on has been the Mac. Why? Only Apple had
a big enough marketing budget to compete with Big Blue.

> I say it's because other companies waited to see if the IBM-PC
> and MS-DOS would live or die (thus letting IBM and MS take the big risk).

What? IBM was a latecomer on the scene. What about Apple, Altos, Tandy,
Commodore, Cromemco, etc, etc, etc...? They were all doing well enough
back in the '70s. IBM didn't enter the market until 1981.

(description of ideal computer that sounds like a 68030-based Amiga
 skipped into email)
--

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (10/31/89)

> Microsoft and IBM simply blew it when designing MSDOS and the PC.  They
> certainly didn't WANT to produce a weak, overpriced, under-powered computer
> with a toy operating system which was behind the times before its time.
>
> They just DID!

It is easy to forget that the first PCs were targeted to compete with
such rivals as the TRS80 and APPLE.  They even came with a
built-in audio cassette interface for I/O, not floppies (a luxury
addon) or hard-disk (even more wondrous yet).   This was the days when
personal computers were truly personal.  I would bet that even IBM
never foresaw the PC taking over the office-place.  But they wanted
to forestall Tandy and Apple from gaining a monopoly in that sector, just
in case.

I remember  a PC looking darn good to me.

To say that Microsoft and IBM blew it, at least as far as
the DOS PC, seems to be a bit of 20/20 hindsight.  They must have
done something right, because that same DOS/PC "standard" (hardware
combined with software) has held up fairly well, from the earliest
PC to the 386-based machines of today.   It may be time to evolve that
standard, but I take my hat off to Microsoft and IBM for a job well
done.  They got us where we are.

In a way, it is the PC's success that has held it back .  Of course,
people like Jobs can be revolutionary with NeXT machines and the like.
They don't have to worry about a huge user base OR tons of software
which must migrate to each new level of software and hardware.
Gary L. Barrett

My employer may or may not agree with my opinions.
And I may or may not agree with my employer's opinions.

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (10/31/89)

From article <6724@ficc.uu.net>, by peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva):
> No, we'd have something based on Concurrent CP/M, OS/9, SOS, or some other
> decent DOS of that period. We'd have something better.
>
> IBM didn't create the PC indusry. It doesn't do that any more. It looked and
> it saw a thriving industry, and said "I want that". So it took it.

What thriving industry?  At the point that the IBM PC came out there
was little going on in the Home/Desktop PC market.  Yes there were
CP/M based machines that could be purchased for a small fortune, but
I would not call it a thriving industry.  IBM went out on a limb
and the gamble paid off.

--
Let sleeping dragons lie........               | The Bit Chaser
Bill Wilson             (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm | wilson@nauvax)

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (11/01/89)

In article <6724@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> In article <6723@ficc.uu.net> korenek@ficc.uu.net (Gary Korenek) writes:
> > 8.  The point to all this:  companies take massive gambles with new
> >     products.  If it had not been for the original IBM-PC and MS-DOS,
> >     we would not even have what we have today.
>
> No, we'd have something based on Concurrent CP/M, OS/9, SOS, or some other
> decent DOS of that period. We'd have something better.
>
> IBM didn't create the PC indusry. It doesn't do that any more. It looked and
> it saw a thriving industry, and said "I want that". So it took it.
> --
> `-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

Short memory, Mr. da Silva?  Before the IBM PC came out, there were
Apple IIs, and CP/M boxes, and Radio Shack computers, but it was
still a hobbyist market.  There were some businesses adventuresome
enough to trust their accounts to these computers, but not many,
and for the most part, with good reason.  (TRSDOS for the TRS-80
Model 3, for example.  I wrote a service station accounting system
on it at the time the PC came out, and by comparision, the PC was
a paragon of modernity, performance, and robustness).

IBM didn't create the PC industry -- but it did take it out of
the hobbyist area, and made it into something that the non-computer
literate would trust their accounts to -- and not just because of
the IBM name.  (Of course, removing the high priests of micro-
computing from their exalted positions seems to be much of the
real objection to the PC).
--
Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Drugs are destroying the moral fiber of America...Another beer, please.

chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (11/01/89)

In article <6724@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> In article <6723@ficc.uu.net> korenek@ficc.uu.net (Gary Korenek) writes:
> > 8.  The point to all this:  companies take massive gambles with new
> >     products.  If it had not been for the original IBM-PC and MS-DOS,
> >     we would not even have what we have today.
>
> No, we'd have something based on Concurrent CP/M, OS/9, SOS, or some other
> decent DOS of that period. We'd have something better.

We have exactly that, Peter, and a lot more.  What we would have had we have
now:  6809s with OS/9, Amigas with Tripos->AmigaDOS, embedded systems hither
and yon based on efficient message passing kernels or call based kernels (as
the environment required), and Unix on larger systems.  All these systems
were available then, they are still available, and they have one major
deficit, as I have mentioned before:  NONE WERE CHEAP ENOUGH (forget the
argument that things are all cheaper now, that's true, and so is MSDOS
hardware) and NONE WERE COMMON ENOUGH TO BUILD A MARKET FOR GOOD SOFTWARE.

IBM may not have created a crippled DOS on purpose, but the one the did
create has been exactly what almost everyone wants (or thinks he wants).  So
whine if you want, but until there are as many systems running your pet
OS please quit talking about your peers (or betters) as if they were misinformed
or incompetent when they decided to use EXACTLY WHAT THEY NEED (or want, or
can afford, or ...).

> IBM didn't create the PC indusry. It doesn't do that any more. It looked and
> it saw a thriving industry, and said "I want that". So it took it.

Yes, Peter, a thriving industry of perhaps 1 million "personal" computers,
with sales to support Apple, 20% of Radio Shack, Atari's computer division
and perhaps 100 garage shop operations selling a few systems a month.  The
gross receipts of the entire personal computer industry in 1982 was probably
comparable to the price of the mainframes IBM sold to a single large
university.  IBM took the industry because those who "owned" it in 1982
failed to realize that price was important (IBM was much cheaper than any
but the very cheapest when they entered the market), and they also failed
to recognize a major technical advance that we now consider obvious:  IBM
supported hard disks, tape backups, and all those other neat things you get
from having an open slot architecture (and having enough resources in the
design that you can take advantage of them).  Contrary to your assertion,
Apple did it almost right, and IBM really did do it right.

So I say that IBM did create the industry (even if it no longer has enough
of it under its control to "own" it, if it ever really did, that does not
alter the fact that we would still be playing in a totally different world
without IBM).

> --
> `-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.
>  'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.
> "That particular mistake will not be repeated.  There are plenty of mistakes
>  left that have not yet been used." -- Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

Charles
"Those who would sacrifice **  Charles Marslett
liberty for security,      **  STB Systems, Inc. <-- apply all std. disclaimers
deserve neither."          **  Wordmark Systems  <-- that's just me
  -- Benjamin Franklin     **  chasm\@attctc.dallas.tx.us

desnoyer@apple.com (Peter Desnoyers) (11/01/89)

In article <1774@naucse.UUCP> wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) writes:
> From article <6724@ficc.uu.net>, by peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva):
>> No, we'd have something based on Concurrent CP/M, OS/9, SOS, or some
>> other decent DOS of that period. We'd have something better.
>> IBM didn't create the PC indusry. It doesn't do that any more. It looked
>> and it saw a thriving industry, and said "I want that". So it took it.
>>
> What thriving industry?  At the point that the IBM PC came out there
> was little going on in the Home/Desktop PC market.  Yes there were
> CP/M based machines that could be purchased for a small fortune, but
> I would not call it a thriving industry.  IBM went out on a limb
> and the gamble paid off.

Hmm. I'm not sure everyone would agree absolutely with that statement.

                                      Peter Desnoyers
                                      Apple ATG
                                      (408) 974-4469

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (11/01/89)

In article <6723@ficc.uu.net-> korenek@ficc.uu.net (Gary Korenek) writes:
->In article <143@asihub.UUCP>, jmp@asihub.UUCP (John Pantone) writes:
->> Microsoft and IBM simply blew it when designing MSDOS and the PC...
->3.  IBM put it's tail on the line in introducing the IBM PC.  No one
->    knew it would take off like a rocket.  It was a huge gamble.

This was IBM's THIRD attempt at a small-business computer.  It was not a huge
gamble, because they didn't put that much into it - particularly in comparison
to their later units.  They seem to hit about 1 in 3, but that's not too bad.

->5.  Compared to the 8 bit stuff available at the time, the IBM PC (and
->    MS-DOS) was a step forward.

I didn't think so.  After sitting at a PC in Aug/Sep 1981, I found that I had
more power and faster operations in my Z80 based systems.  It only had a SSDD
160k disk,  while others out there had 360k AND 720k. - and 1.2 megs if you
count the 8" systems.  Maybe you and I were looking at different things then,
but I stayed away until Dos 2.0 came out.  That's when I made the move, and
then after a year, I backed away.  I just couldn't get used to a system that
slow.  Only when the AT architecture came out with the '286 did the machines
become useable for my tastes.  PC was my 4th or 5th machine (I think).

->7.  Look at consumer VHS video technology.  It's in a parllel situation
->    to IBM-PCs and MS-DOS.  It started as breakthrough technology.  We
->    went out and bought tons of the stuff.  We demanded higher performance.
->    The original design has been enhanced to meet market demands.  It now
->    seems ordinary, commonplace, and almost obsolete.  Again, at the time
->    of introduction, this was breakthrough stuff.

My 1977 Beta I still outperforms most VHS machines, but that's another story.
->
->8.  The point to all this:  companies take massive gambles with new
->    products.  If it had not been for the original IBM-PC and MS-DOS,
->    we would not even have what we have today.

That's absolutely true.  We probably would have had something much better.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

In article <2564@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
> In article <6724@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> > IBM didn't create the PC indusry. It doesn't do that any more. It looked and
> > it saw a thriving industry, and said "I want that". So it took it.

> Short memory, Mr. da Silva?  Before the IBM PC came out, there were
> Apple IIs, and CP/M boxes, and Radio Shack computers, but it was
> still a hobbyist market.

Short memory, Mr. Cramer? The IBM-PC was priced in the same range as Altos,
Cromemco, and other low-end business computers running various advanced
versions of CP/M. It was a LOT more expensive than the Apples and Radio
Shacks. The only reason it sold was the percieved value of the IBM name.
For quite some time the only way to do anything useful with an IBM was to
stick a "Baby Blue" card (or equivalent) in and run CP/M software.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.
"That particular mistake will not be repeated.  There are plenty of mistakes
 left that have not yet been used." -- Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

compata@cup.portal.com (David H Close) (11/02/89)

Re all the comments on IBM and PCDOS:

Yes, PCDOS is not a state-of-the-art OS.  Yes, IBM has created a huge installe
base and must continue to support it indefinitely.  But all of us sound like
this is something new for IBM...

Does anybody remember OS/360?  or the System/3 OCP?  Neither are state-of-the-
art and probably weren't when they came out.  Has IBM stopped development and
abandoned it installed base?  No.  The customers won't let them - though I'm
not sure they want to anyway.

From IBM's point-of-view, there are advantages to a kludgy OS.  Customers must
rely on the IBM guru for advice and must buy the required hardware.  Account
control is the name of their game, not technology.

So why is anyone surprised by PCDOS or the PC itself?

Dave Close, Compata, Arlington, Texas
compata@cup.portal.com

shawn@marilyn.UUCP (Shawn P. Stanley) (11/02/89)

In article <1774@naucse.UUCP> wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) writes:
>What thriving industry?  At the point that the IBM PC came out there
>was little going on in the Home/Desktop PC market.  Yes there were
>CP/M based machines that could be purchased for a small fortune, but
>I would not call it a thriving industry.

I think you've forgotten about the Apple II, the Commodore 64, and the
Radio Shack Color Computer.  Also, Apple was invading the education
market at quite a fast pace.

>IBM went out on a limb and the gamble paid off.

IBM does not go out on limbs.  IBM wrote off the micro market a long
time ago, saying nobody could make money at it.  When they saw what was
growing, though, they decided to get involved.

ander@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael R. Primm) (11/03/89)

Re: IBM not shipping state-of-the-art

OS/360 DEFINED the state-of-the-art when it shipped back in 1965...what
operating systems were drifting around before then?  not very much.

Also, OS/2 has been out for about 2 years now, has supported threads for all
that time (which most ALL UN*Xs still don't support), Dynamic Link Libraries
(wditto, although many are starting to support it), and, more recently,
installable file systems.  For a single user networkable workstation, what
other "state of the art" do you want?

Also, funny thing about state-of-the-art.....nothing stays "state-of-the-art"
for more than a week or so.

Lastly, customers are a rather important factor when you're producing a product.
Staying state-of-the-art is all fine and good, except if you abandon all your
customers along the way....everyone wants new features and more power, but not
if 10+ years worth of software investment is getting tossed in the process.

                                                         --Mike Primm

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (11/03/89)

In article <254532d1@ralf> Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
$What few people seem to remember is that IBM originally offered a choice
$of THREE operating systems: MSDOS, CPM-86, and UCSD p-System.  Of these,
$MSDOS was not only the cheapest, but also quite compatible with CPM-80,
$allowing mechanical translation of 8080 programs (in fact, MSDOS still
$supports the CP/M entry point and calling convention).

   CP/M-86 and p-System were indeed offered as alternative operating systems,
but they were slow to appear at dealers, cost more, and lacked software
to run under them.  Also, IBM released all of its own software for the PC
to run under MS-DOS.  Essentially, it's "You can use one of these three
operating systems ... but if you want to run our software (whic, of course,
you will, because we're IBM :-) you'd better buy this one."

   If you look at the structure of the PSP (Program Segment Prefix) under
DOS, you will indeed find lots of things that don't need to be there but
were left in to allow for the mechanical translation of CP/M programs.
Also, the first seven (and 23 of the first 27) DOS calls are similar or
identical to CP/M's BDOS calls.
--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) (11/03/89)

In article <2564@optilink.UUCP>, cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:

> Short memory, Mr. da Silva?  Before the IBM PC came out, there were
> Apple IIs, and CP/M boxes, and Radio Shack computers, but it was
> still a hobbyist market.  There were some businesses adventuresome
> enough to trust their accounts to these computers, but not many,
> and for the most part, with good reason.
> --
> Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer

Usually I find myself in agreement with Mr Cramer, however, in this case
I think it is he that has tunnel vision.  Many businesses were using
CP/M, M/PM and, yes, even UNIX lookalikes by the time IBM decided to bless
the microcomputer industry with its PC.  I would put the hefty 300Watt power
supply and 8 gauge steel case of my Cromemco Z-2 up against any PC as far as
rugged durability.  Although we worked in assembler or MBASIC or some such,
these machines were used for commercial projects and I know of several still
working for a living.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Minix.  How 'bout comp.sys.misc?

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
micropen!dave@ee.rochester.edu

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (11/03/89)

#
# # Short memory, Mr. da Silva?  Before the IBM PC came out, there were
# # Apple IIs, and CP/M boxes, and Radio Shack computers, but it was
# # still a hobbyist market.
#
# Short memory, Mr. Cramer? The IBM-PC was priced in the same range as Altos,
# Cromemco, and other low-end business computers running various advanced
# versions of CP/M. It was a LOT more expensive than the Apples and Radio
# Shacks. The only reason it sold was the percieved value of the IBM name.
# For quite some time the only way to do anything useful with an IBM was to
# stick a "Baby Blue" card (or equivalent) in and run CP/M software.
# --
# `-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net# <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com#.

How many businesses were using CP/M machines?  How many were using
PCs four years later?  My experiences with the Radio Shack Model 3
were a chilling reminder of how untrustworthy some of the early
microcomputer hardware really was -- and how slow it was, even
compared to an IBM PC.

The IBM PC didn't sell all that well initially, and largely because
of a dearth of software for it.  (In particular, there wasn't a
useful word processor for the PC until Volkswriter came out -- the
early releases of WordStar and the other package IBM was hyping for
the PC were junk).  But once business applications started to show
up for it, PCs sold very, very well -- and at least part of that
was not being stuck with the 48K and 64K RAM limits of the Apples
and most Z80 systems.
--
Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
California: 2 years for mayhem; 4 years for an unregistered "assault rifle"

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (11/03/89)

In article <1774@naucse.UUCP> wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) writes:
> From article <6724@ficc.uu.net>, by peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva):
>> No, we'd have something based on Concurrent CP/M, OS/9, SOS, or some
>> other decent DOS of that period. We'd have something better.
>> IBM didn't create the PC indusry. It doesn't do that any more. It looked
>> and it saw a thriving industry, and said "I want that". So it took it.

> What thriving industry?  At the point that the IBM PC came out there
> was little going on in the Home/Desktop PC market.  Yes there were
> CP/M based machines that could be purchased for a small fortune, but
> I would not call it a thriving industry.

HAH! When the IBM PC came out:
1. It came with 16k of ram, and a casette port.
2. (Optional) floppy disks had a capacity of 160k.
3. No hard disk drives were available
4. CP/M-86, MS-DOS 1.0 (a *poor* imitation of CP/M-80 IMHO), and UCSD P-System
   were the only available OS's, with essentually no software available to
   run under MS-DOS, and little under CP/M-86.

On the other hand, I had a "Lobo MAX-80". This computer (built into the base
of the keyboard) cost $1000 without drives or monitor but:
1. Had a 5Mhz, 0 wait state, Z-80, roughly the same CPU performance as the
   IBM PC. Came with 128k ram. Also had a battery backupped clock.
2. Builtin disk controller for SCSI hard drives (!), and up to 4 each of
   8" and 5.25" floppies. I used DSDD 8" floppies for 1.2 meg capacity, and
   much faster seek and smaller latency times over the IBM's puny offerings.
   Today I could connect 5.25" HD floppies or 3.5" DSDD floppies with no
   problems, even though it was not designed for them.
3. MUCH faster display, even scrolls correctly. WordStar worked great on this
   box, but looked like a turkey on an IBM PC.
4. OS's included CP/M and later CP/M Plus, which supported thousands of
   application programs, produced by little companies that didn't put their
   money in glitzy packaging but *did* answer their phones. Also LDOS, a very
   nice OS that was an extension of TRS-80's TRSDOS, so the machine would also
   run all the available Radio Shack software (some of it was really nice).
   (LDOS suported TSRs, as well as device drivers that could be installed
   at any time, not just boot time).

It took the PC/AT before IBM produced a machine that made my Lobo obsolete.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

jk0@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin,,,) (11/03/89)

*PLEASE* get this strain out of COMP.OS.MINIX!! It doesn't belong here,
and frankly, most of us don't care! And, if we DO (some may) we can read
comp.sys.ibm.pc.  But it doesn't really relate to Minix.  AST probably
isn't going to make changes to Minix based upon these observations of
the past.

Thank you.

Jason Coughlin ( jk0@sun.soe.clarkson.edu , jk0@clutx )
"Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the
part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of." - They Might Be Giants

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (11/03/89)

In article <6773@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> In article <2564@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
> > In article <6724@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> > > IBM didn't create the PC indusry. It doesn't do that any more. It looked and
> > > it saw a thriving industry, and said "I want that". So it took it.
>
> > Short memory, Mr. da Silva?  Before the IBM PC came out, there were
> > Apple IIs, and CP/M boxes, and Radio Shack computers, but it was
> > still a hobbyist market.
>
> versions of CP/M. It was a LOT more expensive than the Apples and Radio
> Shacks. The only reason it sold was the percieved value of the IBM name.
> For quite some time the only way to do anything useful with an IBM was to
> stick a "Baby Blue" card (or equivalent) in and run CP/M software.

	I worked with Apple IIs and TRS-80 model Is.  I got a floppy only
IBM PC in the fall of 1983, having to wait 3 months to get CGA.  With
twin floppies and CGA, there is no doubt in my mind that the IBM PC was
a better machine than either the Apple IIe, the TRS-80, or the Kaypro.
Now, of course, I feel that almost any clone is preferable to a PS/2,
but I still hold that the IBM PC was indeed a good computer.  If it
wasn't, not even IBM could have sold it (witness all their flops in the
years since)

--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) (11/04/89)

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) writes:

>From article <6724@ficc.uu.net>, by peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva):
>> No, we'd have something based on Concurrent CP/M, OS/9, SOS, or some other
>> decent DOS of that period. We'd have something better.
>> IBM didn't create the PC indusry. It doesn't do that any more. It looked and
>> it saw a thriving industry, and said "I want that". So it took it.
>What thriving industry?  At the point that the IBM PC came out there
>was little going on in the Home/Desktop PC market.  Yes there were
>CP/M based machines that could be purchased for a small fortune, but
>I would not call it a thriving industry.  IBM went out on a limb
>and the gamble paid off.

Foo.  There was definitely a very active small-player industry going
in the 198[12] time frame.  IBM just walked in and took it over.  No
risk was involved; the typical Pavlovian attitude of non-computer
types when confronted with the mystic trigrammaton (three-letter-word)
and the fact that the biggest segment of the personal-computer market
was people who didn't want to buy into anything but an utterly sure
thing delivered the market to IBM on a plate.  Period.  It's called
buying the business.  If your pockets are deep enough, and Big Blue
has very deep pockets, it's a dead certainty.

The PC was no cheaper, no faster, and had a lot less software in 1981
than did my Heath H89.  I benched the two, naturally I've discarded
the data but the conclusions stay with me clearly enough ;-).  But
Heath had the wrong market image (they were seen as a hacker's
vendor), and couldn't match IBMs sales/service/var network.  Not that
I'm a big fan of Heath - they could indeed be a royal canadian pain in
the *ss to deal with.  They took my money (over $4000.00) and sat on
it for months before delivering...

	Ross

compata@cup.portal.com (David H Close) (11/06/89)

Mike Primm writes re: IBM not shipping state-of-the-art

> OS/360 DEFINED the state-of-the-art when it shipped back in 1965...what
> operating systems were drifting around before then?  not very much.

Well, the B5500 was around before then.  Its OS (MCP) offered multi-tasking.
I don't believe OS/360 was SOTA when released, though it had some good ideas.
As usual, IBM's best ideas are the security blanket it offers its customers:
stick with us and you'll be ok.  Personally, I'd rather not pay the price.

chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (11/06/89)

In article <4992@internal.Apple.COM>, desnoyer@apple.com (Peter Desnoyers) writes:
> In article <1774@naucse.UUCP> wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) writes:
> > What thriving industry?  At the point that the IBM PC came out there
> > was little going on in the Home/Desktop PC market.  Yes there were
> > CP/M based machines that could be purchased for a small fortune, but
> > I would not call it a thriving industry.  IBM went out on a limb
> > and the gamble paid off.
>
> Hmm. I'm not sure everyone would agree absolutely with that statement.

You think anyone would disagree that the gamble paid off?  PC's may not be
all of IBM's business, but they are big enough to come up regularly in the
strategy sessions, I am sure!

And if you disagree that they went out on a limb, you probably were not there
then.  [There are lots of reasons that could have logically been advanced to
point out why the IBM PC would be a flop -- the OS was not much better than
CP/M, it cost more than an Apple II (by $35), and it had lots less software
available than either!]

And if the comment applied to the "small fortune" mention, I quote from a
Playboy, May, 1982, article on personal computers:

Manufacturer/Model     Base Price    Typical Price
Sinclair ZX81           $150          $250+TV
Commodore VIC 20        $300          $485+TV
Atari 400               $399          $510+TV
Osborne I              $1795         $2095
Atari 800               $899         $2625+TV
Apple II Plus          $1530         $3130+TV
Commodore CBM 8032     $1495         $4285
IBM PC                 $1565         $4445
Zenith Z90             $3195         $4790
Radio Shack TRS80-III   $699         $5098
North Star Advantage   $3999         $5500
Apple III              $4690         $5760

If you allow for inflation, a nice Amiga, Mac or IBM clone can be had for
the price of a cassette based 6502 machine of that day.

The only machines on that list that had an OS to speak of at all are the
Ataris, the CP/M boxes, and the Apple computers.

And only the most expensive, the Apple III, had comparable memory.  None
had comparable expansion capabilities.

By the way, the article concluded by pointing out that there were benefits
to be gained from "standard" products available from multiple vendors if you
want the computer you buy to have a "long and useful life", sugguesting a
CP/M box.

>                                       Peter Desnoyers
>                                       Apple ATG
>                                       (408) 974-4469
Fortelling the future is risky,

Charles Marslett
chasm@attctc.dallas.tx.us
[of STB Systems, Inc, and Wordmark Systems]

frank@rsoft.bc.ca (Frank I. Reiter) (11/07/89)

In article <10038@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) writes:

>Manufacturer/Model     Base Price    Typical Price
>Radio Shack TRS80-III   $699         $5098

The price on the model III is a little wide of the mark.  I bought a model III
with 48K, RS232, and double sided drives for $3500 Canadian dollars in 1980 or
1981.  With all the great features listed above this machine was fully loaded.

<Grin>

Frank I. Reiter              UUCP:  {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!frank
Reiter Software Inc.                frank@rsoft.bc.ca,  a2@mindlink.UUCP
Langley, British Columbia     BBS:  Mind Link @ (604)533-2312, login as Guest

pcm@iwarpr0.intel.com (Phil Miller) (11/09/89)

Hey, folks, this debate is getting old.  If you absolutely MUST continue
this discussion, please remove comp.os.minix from your list of news
groups.

Phil Miller