[comp.unix.xenix] file system check on second drive

akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (11/09/89)

I am running SCO 2.3.2 with 2 ST506 hard drives.

When the power goes off the machine upon rebooting only does the file
system check on the root file system - and fails to mount the second
physical drive since it needs cleaning.

The manuals mention /etc/fstab.  After creating this file according
to the manual - and removing my mount command line for the second drive
in /etc/rc - still no go.  The system does not mount let alone check
the second physical drive (mounted as /dev/u).

What next?

In article <[25596a88:191]comp.unix.xenix@nstar.UUCP> akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>I am running SCO 2.3.2 with 2 ST506 hard drives.
>
>When the power goes off the machine upon rebooting only does the file
>system check on the root file system - and fails to mount the second
>physical drive since it needs cleaning.
>
>The manuals mention /etc/fstab.  After creating this file according
>to the manual - and removing my mount command line for the second drive
>in /etc/rc - still no go.  The system does not mount let alone check
>the second physical drive (mounted as /dev/u).
>
>What next?

Look in /etc/default/filesys.  An example follows:

bdev=/dev/root cdev=/dev/rroot mountdir=/ \
desc="The root filesystem" rcmount=no

This entry is for root, and the system puts it in place when you install.

bdev=/dev/spool mountdir=/usr/spool rcmount=yes fsckflags=-y \
desc="Spool filesystem"
bdev=/dev/pub mountdir=/pub rcmount=yes fsckflags=-y \
desc="Public access filesystem"
bdev=/dev/user mountdir=/user rcmount=yes fsckflags=-y \
desc="Contributor filesystem"
bdev=/dev/news mountdir=/usenet rcmount=yes fsckflags=-y \
desc="Usenet files"
bdev=/dev/dvlp mountdir=/dvlp rcmount=yes fsckflags=-y \
desc="Development area"
bdev=/dev/prv mountdir=/prv rcmount=yes fsckflags=-y \
desc="Private filesystem"
bdev=/dev/arc mountdir=/arc rcmount=yes fsckflags=-y \
desc="System internal archives"

These are the other filesystems on our machine.  Note that "rcmount=yes" is
present, and "fsckflags=-y" is present.  These two will insure the filesystem
gets checked with the "-y" flag to fsck (which can be dangerous, but if you
want unattended reboots, you gotta take the chance) and in addition tells
the system to remount the filesystems automatically.

If you need a temporary file for fsck you need to add the switch and name
to "fsckflags" or it won't work.  We have four (4) disks on two controllers
here; they all work fine on power-up even after a boom-boom (our power is
terrible here).

Hope this helps!

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]