[comp.unix.xenix] SCO- STILL 2 HARDDISK CONTROLLERS

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (11/10/89)

In article <52@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
> I'm currently running:
> 	WD1007 	a) Micropolis 1558
> 		b) nothing
> 	WD1006  a) Minisribe 6085
> 		b) Micropolis 1304
> The one thing I can note is that some combinations of drives don't seem to
> work (this may or may not be related to the fact that it's the second
> controller). For example I could make the 6085 work by itself, and a 40mb
> drive that worked by itself, but I couldn't make them work together. The
> 6085 and 1304 do work well together.

The WD-1007 is ESDI-ST506 translating.  I don't know if this could make a
difference.  Anyone into Drive controller hardware know if ESDI-ST506
translating controllers are EXACTLY the same as standard ST506 from the
hardware point of view at the bus level? Interesting you note the 6085 and
a 40 meg.  Note my failure below.  The common factor here seems to be
Miniscribe drives.  I am glad their drives are much more reliable then their
tech. dept.

I have tried the following drive combinations with several controllers and
could not get any combination to work:

WD1006V-MM1 a) Miniscribe 6053
            b) Miniscribe 6085
WD1006V-MM1 a) Miniscribe 6053 & 6085

I also tried a DTC, and an Adaptec controller in place of the second
controller.  SCO release notes 2.3.2 state that they support the
ESDI and MFM configuration.

With the combination that failed for you, it would be interesting to know
if the drive on the second controller selected and seemed to skew out across
the disk, or react as if the drive had just been powered up and a seek to
cyl. 0 across the disk occured each time you attempted to read data. The reads
would succeed and no error would occur.  If this was the case, the
probability of it being a drive/compatibility problem is somewhat higher.

--
Adelphi University, Garden City, NY 11530                   (516) 663-1170
SA @ Department of Mathematics and Computer Science