[comp.unix.xenix] Suggestions on big screen display systems for Xenix & X

Anybody have experience with really hi-res displays and SCO X windows?

While you can display 1024 by 768 (super-vga) on a Multisync 3D and similar
monitors, I assume the text would be just do darn small.  Who makes the
good bigger monitors that can handle this, and what should they cost?

B&W (gray scale) is probably just fine, I assume colour is quite a bit
more.

terry@tah386.manhattan.ks.us (Terry Hull) (11/12/89)

In article <46314@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>Anybody have experience with really hi-res displays and SCO X windows?

No.  And you will not find anyone who has experience with Xsight and
high-res displays either.  The reason is they are not supported.
SCO is not even supporting 800x600.  Standard VGA resolution is all you
get.  The next release is supposed to support 800x600, but I do not
have a release date for that yet.  I would be happy if I could just get
the Xsight development system that I ordered over 4 months ago!!

>While you can display 1024 by 768 (super-vga) on a Multisync 3D and similar
>monitors, I assume the text would be just do darn small.  Who makes the
>good bigger monitors that can handle this, and what should they cost?
Just make sure if you use the 3D and a VGA card that the card does
1024x768 interlaced.  I have a 3D which is interlaced and a VRAM card
which is non-interlaced.  Needless to say, they don't like each other
very well at high resolutions.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (11/13/89)

I have a Microfield T8 graphics board with a developmental
Microfield X server and device driver driving a Mutisbushi 19
inch monitor interlaced.  (I picked up the monitor cheap,
that's why it's interlaced.) This operates at 1280x1024x8 (256
colors) resolution.  Vallejho's Dragon Lady is just awesome on
this beast (drgnldy.gif).

A few things you should understand.  IMO X on Unix et al must
be able to provide the equivalent display power of several
easy to read 80x24 screens.  If not, X is just a toy and you
will find yourself switching back to a readable text display
to get your work done.

If you go color, this requires a monitor with top flight
convergence and an incredible number of pixels.  For a 19 inch
monitor, a 23 mm dot pitch might be sufficient.  31 mm dot
pitch on a 19 inch screen doesn't cut it IMHO.  Please note
that I's not talking about the adapter's resolution here, I'm
talking about the MONITOR's resolution here.

You also need a display board that can do hardware BLITs
quickly enough to make xterm workable.  Turn on Xterm's
scrollbar and see how quickly you can scroll with it.  It
really does work if your server can hack it quickly enough.

Another impediment to a workaday X windows system is xterm
itself.  Xterm is designed for high res monochrome displays
and has essentially no concept of color.  This is not a good
match for PC traditions which use dim, bright, and multiple
colors on modest resolutions to express information.  Even an
IBM Monochrome display adapter has two colors, regular and hi
intensity available to escape sequences.  In X windows there
is only one white, and it is really high intensity white.  X
needs an xterm that understands SCO's setcolor program.

On a positive note, I got the Xlife program that drifted over
the net recently to compile and run essentially right out of
the box.