[comp.unix.xenix] multi screen feature on ascii terminals

martin@mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) (11/10/89)

In article <2241@promark.UUCP> mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>.......... They do the screen retention onboard (Up to 8 per terminal on
>their 8 port board).

I don't see how this might work without the board knowing about *all*
the special escape and control sequences, of *any* terminal *ever*
connected to this port. Can you - or anybody else - explain?

jpp@specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) (11/13/89)

martin@mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) writes:

>In article <2241@promark.UUCP> mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
>[stuff deleted]
>>.......... They do the screen retention onboard (Up to 8 per terminal on
>>their 8 port board).

>I don't see how this might work without the board knowing about *all*
>the special escape and control sequences, of *any* terminal *ever*
>connected to this port. Can you - or anybody else - explain?

Warning product plug follows, if you don't want to read it press n now !

The program that we (Specialix) supply with our card does it by
making all screens look like an enhanced vt100 and then using
the termcap definition for the real terminal to figure out what
to send.

This lets us support multi screens (up to 10 per port max 128 for
the system) on *any* terminal that has an acurate termcap entry.
We also support neat tricks like detach and pickup.  That is you
can put your screens in background, log out, login on another port
and pick up the applications !   This feature is automatic if you
loose carrier of an modem line.

Flames to /dev/null

--
John Pettitt				UUCP:  uunet!slxsys!jpp