[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix-286 with Seagate SCSI drives

In article <601@nixpbe.UUCP> freiss@nixpbe.UUCP (MArtin Freiss) writes:
>Hi,
>I'm fairly new to the Xenix brand of UN*X and would like the net's
>opinion on something. I apologize if this has been discussed before.
>
>I'm in the process of buying a harddisk for my '286 clone to run Xenix
>on. As the Seagate SCSI drive + controller bundled package comes cheaper
>over here than a "normal" MFM drive, I'm toying with the idea of buying
>one - about 60 meg, of which I want to reserve about 40 for Xenix.

No no no!

>I'm not worried about DOS, but how do I get Xenix to run with a SCSI
>drive? Is anyone out there who can give me pointers on how to install
>Xenix 286 (version 2.2.1) on this beast (or best, can give me a step
>by step explanation how to do it) ?

You can't normally.  The "cheap" SCSI controllers are supported only through
a BIOS rom, which of course isn't used in protected mode.

The end result is that you would have to write a disk driver.  This might
get >real< tricky, as you also need to do the boot-type things in order to
make it fly.  There >was< such a beast posted to one of the groups a while
back, but it would certainly need modification for Xenix, and I bet that
bringing up the system in the first place would be quite a bit of "fun".

In short, don't bother unless you like hacking on drivers and the like.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

edhew@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) (11/14/89)

In article <601@nixpbe.UUCP> freiss@nixpbe.UUCP (MArtin Freiss) writes:
>Hi,
>I'm in the process of buying a harddisk for my '286 clone to run Xenix
>on. As the Seagate SCSI drive + controller bundled package comes cheaper
>over here than a "normal" MFM drive, I'm toying with the idea of buying
>one - about 60 meg, of which I want to reserve about 40 for Xenix.

I suppose it's always possible that Seagate will come across with
an SCO Xenix SCSI driver for your 286 that will actually work, but I
wouldn't want to bet my bottom dollar on it.

Unless you're adept at writing your own device drivers I'd suggest that
you will need a 386, an Adaptec 1542 (methinks is the #) SCSI controller,
and a suitable SCSI hard drive (I know that the 330 meg Priam works, and
I'll be trying a miniscribe 9380S soon), as well as SCO Xenix 2.3.1GT
or later.  Note the "GT" version.  Non-GT versions do not have SCSI
support.  There are also reportedly other SCSI controllers out there
(notably a new Western Digital) with Xenix drivers, but they're not
yet on SCO's supported list.

>I'm not worried about DOS, but how do I get Xenix to run with a SCSI
>drive? Is anyone out there who can give me pointers on how to install
>Xenix 286 (version 2.2.1) on this beast (or best, can give me a step
>by step explanation how to do it) ?

Your Xenix release notes are your best reference.

>I do have access to another '286 with MFM drives, if it should be necessary
>to install Xenix on a normal system first and configure / link the kernel
>there for SCSI.

See above.  I am not aware of a 286"GT" version of the SCO Xenix o/s.

> Martin Freiss        UUCP:   USA: ..!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!freiss.pad
> Nixdorf Computer AG         !USA: ..!mcvax!unido!nixpbe!freiss.pad

  Ed. A. Hew       Authorized Technical Trainer        Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
->home:	 edhew@xenitec.on.ca	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!edhew
    # Justice is only relative to what you can afford to prove in court.