[comp.unix.xenix] Need help on parallel port output

hoover@alberta.uucp (Jim Hoover) (11/14/89)

Has anyone else encountered the following problem?

    Cannot send characters with the high-order bit set to /dev/lp0.

    It appears that the parallel port device driver is eating any
characters in the range 200 to 377.

    My Panasonic supposedly uses the standard Epson control sequences
which are 8bits wide.  When I run the printer with DOS booted on the
machine, both the DOS print command, and WordPerfect 5.0 with a French
character set work fine.

    When I take exactly the same output file that was sent directly to
LPT1 that worked under DOS, and cat it under UNIX to /dev/lp0, any character
that has the high order bit set is removed from the output stream sent to
the printer.  I have verified this by putting the printer into hex dump
mode and looking at what the cat was sending.

    When I do a (stty -a ) < /dev/lp0 the output indicates that 8bit
character mode is selected.

    Any suggestions?

I am running:
    SCO UNIX System V/386 (Serial Number cdi000011), Release 3.2.0
    SCO VPI/ix (Serial Number cdi000021), Release 1.1.0 + Update A

The hardware platform is:
    20 MHz 386 AT clone, 4M RAM, no cache, no coprocessor.

    ATI VGA Wonder with mouse, NEC MultiSync 3D.

    Western Digital 1006V-SR2 Controller, Seagate ST4144R Hard Drive,
    1.2M Floppy.

    Standard AT serial card (COM1, COM2, parallel port)
    US Robotics Sportster 2400 modem on /dev/tty2A
    Ampex 230+ brain-damaged terminal on /dev/tty1a
    Panasonic KX-P1180 dot-matrix printer on parallel port

Thanks in advance, Jim Hoover.
----
Prof. Jim Hoover                   | Office +1 403 492 5401 or 5290
Dept. of Computing Science         | FAX    +1 403 492 1071
University of Alberta              | hoover@cs.ualberta.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2H1  |

terry@tah386.manhattan.ks.us (Terry Hull) (11/15/89)

In article <1989Nov13.184843.12713@alberta.uucp> hoover@cs.ualberta.ca (Jim Hoover) writes:

>Has anyone else encountered the following problem?
>
>    Cannot send characters with the high-order bit set to /dev/lp0.

Yes, I have.  When I was using XENIX 2.3.x it worked OK, but now
that I have UNIX 3.2 running, I had to move my LaserJet to tty1a so
that I could download fonts to it.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University