[comp.unix.xenix] DMAEXCL

akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (11/14/89)

Reference the DMAEXCL under Hardware Dependant Parameters (in Tuning
System Performance) - the configure script mentions that this should
usually be 1 - in what cases (or types of hardware) should this be
set to 0?

swatt@cup.portal.com (Steven Edward Watt) (11/15/89)

akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>Reference the DMAEXCL under Hardware Dependant Parameters (in Tuning
>System Performance) - the configure script mentions that this should
>usually be 1 - in what cases (or types of hardware) should this be
>set to 0?

If memory serves, 1 means don't run parallel DMA...
If there is more than 1 card installed that can do DMA, and
DMAEXCL is set to 0, then both cards (at least in theory)
will be able to to DMA into the system's buffers...
Higher throughput, generally.  I would test any devices that
used DMA thoroughly before running with DMAEXCL set to 0, tho...

Steve Watt
swatt@cup.portal.com   ...!ucbvax!sun!portal!cup.portal.com