[comp.unix.xenix] Memory in Everex??

jessea@dynasys.UUCP ( Sysadmin.) (11/15/89)

First, I'd like to say that the reason I am posting this to comp.unix.xenix is
that I've heard quite a few people in that newsgroup say they had Everex
computers.  I thought some of them may know the answers to my questions.
This is not about xenix (not really).

I have an Everex Step 386/16 with two MB of memory on the motherboard.  I would
like to upgrade to 4MB.   I don't want to get in from Everex because its
expensive and I don't need 25ns chips.  So, here's my questions:
	1)  Is it better to get SIMMS and put them into the motherboard or
	buy an memory expansion board and add memory to it?
	2)  If its the memory expansion board route I should go, what brand
	should I get?  I am running SCO Xenix and AT+T Unix.  I would like it
	to be compatible with both.
	3)  Someone told me that I have to get the right number of POW chips
	(have no idea what these are) on the motherboard if I want to put the
	memory on the motherboard.  Can anyone tell me what these are, how I
	can get them (not from Everex), and what configuration they would be in
	if I put 4MB of memory in?
	4)  Last question is, what is a good memory speed to go with?  I've
	got 25ns chips, but I'm planning on getting slower memory and selling
	these (as I have to have the same speed and I'm not about to pay the
	prices for 25ns chips).  Suggestions?  60ns?
Thanx in advance for the help.

--
Jesse W. Asher - Dynasys - (901)382-1705       Internet: jessea@dynasys.UU.NET
6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134     UUCP: uunet!dynasys!jessea

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (11/15/89)

jessea@dynasys.UUCP ( Sysadmin.) writes:

>I have an Everex Step 386/16 with two MB of memory on the motherboard.  I would
>like to upgrade to 4MB.   I don't want to get in from Everex because its
>expensive and I don't need 25ns chips.  So, here's my questions:
>	1)  Is it better to get SIMMS and put them into the motherboard or
>	buy an memory expansion board and add memory to it?
>	2)  If its the memory expansion board route I should go, what brand

The only memory expansion board that will work correctly is one sold
by Everex, since it will use the 32 bit bus.  All other boards will use the
16 bit bus, and while they _might_ work they will be extremely slow.

Regarding whether going the board or motherboard, it doesn't really matter.
Replacing the chips on the motherboard will be cheaper.

>	4)  Last question is, what is a good memory speed to go with?  I've
>	got 25ns chips, but I'm planning on getting slower memory and selling
>	these (as I have to have the same speed and I'm not about to pay the
>	prices for 25ns chips).  Suggestions?  60ns?

You may not like it, but go with the same speed chips that the computer
already has.  Everex put those chips in for a reason.  Don't second guess
the engineers because you will end up with a computer that will be giving you
parity errors all the time.

>Thanx in advance for the help.

Your welcome.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.