[comp.unix.xenix] Re^2: IBM and Apple Operating Systems

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (11/04/89)

korenek@ficc.uu.net (Gary Korenek) writes:
>In article <143@asihub.UUCP>, jmp@asihub.UUCP (John Pantone) writes:
>> Microsoft and IBM simply blew it when designing MSDOS and the PC...
>3.  IBM put it's tail on the line in introducing the IBM PC.  No one
>    knew it would take off like a rocket.  It was a huge gamble.

The PC was at least IBM's second attempt at creating a PC.  Another
attempt was called the "IBM System/23 Datamaster".  It ran only BASIC
(sound familiar?  BASIC in ROM?), had 2 8" drives, was
closed-architecture, and used EBCDIC.  The BASIC was by far the
strangest dialect I've ever seen (heavy FORTRAN influence, I think)
but was excellent for doing record-oriented I/O.

The machine was a flop.  It was such a big flop that almost nobody I
know has ever heard of it.  IBM screwed everyone who bought one of
those things, dropping support almost immediately.  People were
extremely unhappy with IBM's concept of "PC" at the time.

What happened to all the Datamasters?  Well, the original PC keyboard
is an exact duplicate of that used on the Datamaster with the
exception of the printing on the tops of the keys and the fact that
the keyboard is separate from the CPU....

In short, IBM just keeps trying things until something works, just
like Edison with the lightbulb.  They have the resources to do it,
while others try much harder to make intelligent decisions.  So, we're
stuck with a braindamaged DOS and limited hardware.  Sigh.

Followups redirected to comp.sys.ibm.pc.

jim frost
software tool & die     "The World" Public Access Unix for the '90s
madd@std.com            +1 617-739-WRLD  24hrs {3,12,24}00bps

jhallen@wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) (11/09/89)

In article <1989Nov3.191142.4163@world.std.com> madd@world.std.com (jim frost) writes:
>korenek@ficc.uu.net (Gary Korenek) writes:
>>In article <143@asihub.UUCP>, jmp@asihub.UUCP (John Pantone) writes:
>>> Microsoft and IBM simply blew it when designing MSDOS and the PC...
>>3.  IBM put it's tail on the line in introducing the IBM PC.  No one
>>    knew it would take off like a rocket.  It was a huge gamble.

>The PC was at least IBM's second attempt at creating a PC.  Another
>attempt was called the "IBM System/23 Datamaster".  It ran only BASIC

>The machine was a flop.  It was such a big flop that almost nobody I
>know has ever heard of it.  IBM screwed everyone who bought one of

Wow!  This is the first time I ever heard of anyone who ever heard of this
machine.  Years ago I wrote a payroll program in it.  The support for it was
so bad that the company eventually switched to TRS80 model IIs.  This leads
me to another question::

How many people have used RM/COS on a TRS-80 Model 12 or 16?  This is a really
gross COBOL operating system which ran RealWorld Accounting.  The TRS-80
Model-II through 16 was an interesting machine.  It started out as a Z80
system similer to Radio Shack's TRS-80 Model-Is and IIIs.  They then added a
68000 to it with Model 12.  Both the Z80 and 68000 had protection.  The 68000
side had a register for relocating programs.  It's biggest problem was that
all the I/O had to go through the Z80 so it was slow.  It had 4 operating
systems:

- TRSDOS (yuck: single user flat file system)
- TRSDOS-16 (same as above but with 68000 support)
- RM/COS (multi-user, small, hierachial directory structure by having a level
	  number attached to each file in one main directory)
- XENIX  (nice but required 3 out of the 8MB of available disk space- BTW,
	  I've recently seen TRS-80 Model 16s with built in hard drive
	  and 8" high density floppy drives on sale _by radio shack_ for
	  $1000)

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (11/17/89)

In article <5412@wpi.wpi.edu> jhallen@wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) writes:
>In article <1989Nov3.191142.4163@world.std.com> madd@world.std.com (jim frost) writes:

>How many people have used RM/COS on a TRS-80 Model 12 or 16?  This is a really
>gross COBOL operating system which ran RealWorld Accounting.  The TRS-80
>Model-II through 16 was an interesting machine.  It started out as a Z80
>system similer to Radio Shack's TRS-80 Model-Is and IIIs.
The ONLY similarity was the z80.  The rest was quite different.
>                                                           They then added a
>68000 to it with Model 12.
The model 12 was a model II with 1/2 height 8" drives.  Adding the 68000 it
became a model 16.

Just correcting some mis-information here.  Don't want history to become
corrupt :-)
>- XENIX  (nice but required 3 out of the 8MB of available disk space- BTW,
>	  I've recently seen TRS-80 Model 16s with built in hard drive
>	  and 8" high density floppy drives on sale _by radio shack_ for
>	  $1000)
And I bought one used with 3 terminals for $600.

Followups are posted to comp.sys.tandy

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP