[comp.unix.xenix] df under Xenix 2.2.3

lucio@flagship.UUCP (Lucio) (11/10/89)

In sendbatch there is a test for the amount of free space available
on the device containing the spool directory. On my machine the test
should read:

	df /usr/spool

but in this form it fails because, as df reports:

	df: /usr/spool not block special

Whereas Xenix therefore seems to expect a special device (it says so
in the manual pages), it seems that most other ports, including the
MKS tools, are happy with a directory and determine the device that
contains the given directory. Has this problem (?) been rectified in
Xenix 2.3 and SCO Unix V.3.* and, if not in 2.3, has anybody a
workaround? A technique (I presume the real df does this) to translate
a directory name with the containing device seems a reasonable
solution.

Thanks, netfolks.

Lucio de Re                       ...uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!flagship!lucio
-------------------- plan to throw THIS one away -------lucio@flagship

bill@netagw.uu.net (Bill Aten) (11/14/89)

In article <228@flagship.UUCP> lucio@flagship.UUCP (Lucio) writes:
>In sendbatch there is a test for the amount of free space available
>on the device containing the spool directory. On my machine the test
>should read:
>
>	df /usr/spool
>
>but in this form it fails because, as df reports:
>
>	df: /usr/spool not block special

The key here is the word DEVICE not DIRECTORY.  When you issue the command
'df' from the prompt you will probably see '/' and '/u' devices listed.
Depending on how you set up Xenix, you may see a '/usr' device.  These are
your filesystems and this is what sendbatch is trying to check.  In the
example you gave, sendbatch should either be looking at '/' or '/usr',
depending on your setup.  The fact that 'usr/spool' is part of '/' (or
possibly 'spool' is part of '/usr') doesn't matter.  When the '/' (or
'/usr') device is full -- it's full.  And that is what sendbatch is
checking for.

Hope this helps...
Bill Aten                             |   Internet:  bill@netagw.uu.net
UUCP:  ...!uunet!netagw!bill          | Compuserve:  70270.451@compuserve.com

asp@puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) (11/16/89)

In article <251@netagw.uu.net>, bill@netagw.uu.net (Bill Aten) writes:
> In article <228@flagship.UUCP> lucio@flagship.UUCP (Lucio) writes:
delete..delete..delete...

	On a typical system things go under /usr/spool/uucp so the
sendbatch script needs:

SPOOLDISK=/dev/root

--
 Andy Puchrik
 Moonlight Systems			...!decuac!necntc!necis!puck!asp

perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) (11/17/89)

In article <228@flagship.UUCP> lucio@flagship.UUCP (Lucio) writes:

+ In sendbatch there is a test for the amount of free space available ...
+ On my machine the test should read:
+
+ 	df /usr/spool
+
+ [to which] df reports:
+
+ 	df: /usr/spool not block special

This may be a BSD vs Sys5 problem.  In SunOS 3.5 (based on 4.2 BSD) you can
provide a directory name and df will figure out the proper device.  Isn't
Xenix a Sys5 derivative?

Clearly the workaround is to change the df call to specify the proper device.

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (11/18/89)

In article <845@ccssrv.UUCP> perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) writes:
>In SunOS 3.5 (based on 4.2 BSD) you can provide a directory name and df
>will figure out the proper device.

There is a bug in SysVR3 that will not allow one to use a relative
path as an argument to df [devnm() does a chdir() to search the /dev
directory for devices but never chdir()s back].  This code has propagated
itself to SysVR4-k15.  It may be fix in later k-loads.

Pax, Keith

Ps, you can specify absolute path names to df in SysVR3 with no ill effects.
--
ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag