[comp.unix.xenix] WP

neal@clkwrka.UUCP (11/21/89)

> Regarding programs that run, or don't run, under VP/ix, SCO says that
> Word Perfect 4.2 will run but makes no mention of WP 5.0.  My experience
> is that WP 5.0 won't work, possibly because of the way it uses the
> keyboard.  MS Word 5.0, however, does work.
>
> Has anyone succeeded in running WP 5.0 under VP/ix?  If so, did you have
> to do anything  beyond the normal installation to get it running?

Sure I got it to work great... sort of.  Here is the deal:

	It gets real upset about using any sort of virtual drives.  Gags and
	spits and rolls on the floor.  Sooo, you have to load IT AND EVERY
	FILE you intend to use onto the Dos partition.  Of course, this means
	that only one person can use it at a time, but otherwise it tools
	along.

I think the earlier versions of 5.0 were not as bitchy about redirected or
psuedo drives.   But they had other problems.

I have discussed this with WP and they tole me to drop dead.

russ@bbx.UUCP (Russ Kepler) (11/23/89)

In article <103@clkwrka.UUCP> neal@clkwrka.UUCP writes:
>Sure I got it to work great... sort of.  Here is the deal:
>
>	It gets real upset about using any sort of virtual drives.  Gags and
>	spits and rolls on the floor.  Sooo, you have to load IT AND EVERY
>	FILE you intend to use onto the Dos partition.  Of course, this means
>	that only one person can use it at a time, but otherwise it tools
>	along.

There's a *good* reason for this: VP/ix still lies about the length
of a file that exists in the Xenix filesystem.  open() a file using
the MS-DOS 3.0 'shared+deny none' attribtes, lseek() to the end and
look at the returned length: 4385 bytes.  Never more, never less.

Works *real* good for software designed to work on networks.  I've
gotten *soooo* tired of reporting this that I just don't bother any
more - I just tell folks not to bother with VP/ix.

--
Russ Kepler -  Basis International
SNAILMAIL:  5901 Jefferson NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109