[comp.unix.xenix] Help: IBM 3270 emulation using SCO Xenix

feuer@cpl-mfh.UUCP (Steven Feuerstein) (11/16/89)

Help...

I am searching for a product which allows me to connect my microcomputer
running SCO Xenix to an IBM mainframe cluster controller via coax cable.
This product should emulate a 3270 terminal, have an API option, and file
upload/download funcitons.

Thanks!

Steve Feuerstein
sunybcs!cpl-mfh!feuer
716-887-4571

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (11/19/89)

In article <-538035638@cpl-mfh.UUCP> feuer@cpl-mfh.UUCP (Steven Feuerstein) writes:
>I am searching for a product which allows me to connect my microcomputer
>running SCO Xenix to an IBM mainframe cluster controller via coax cable.
>This product should emulate a 3270 terminal, have an API option, and file
>upload/download funcitons.

We have tried several products and seem to get the best tech support
from Cleo.  They now have several products (because of a merger), and
the newer boards will do what you request.  They go into a comm controller
and act like they are a cluster controller.  This way you have access
from all the terminals on the system.  We are using the older Cleo
product called SyncCable and except for lack of file transfer works
great.  Using about 5 terminals from Xenix to connect to the mainframe
without a hitch.  The only problem we ran into was the xl@##$*@ PS/2
com port only being able to work up to 9600 baud reliably.  Limited
the overal performance a bit.
Hope this helps.

--
.. Computer Consulting Service     ..      Bob Willey        ..
.. P.O. Drawer 1690                ..    uunet!consult!bob   ..

milan@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Milan Strnad) (11/23/89)

I'll second the support for Cleo. I've been using their "Datatalker"
board since July, wth HLLAPI, and found it a great success. No
problems installing, and their support was always there whenever
I had questions to ask.  The only improvement they could do is in
the file transfer -- currently very slow, running about 1200 Baud.
They are willing to send the board for evaluation for a period of
1 month. The cost of the board and software is U.S. $2,500.  Worth
it, when compared to SCO's UniPath with (non)API product.  Speaking
of SCO's API software, I have found their "On the Road with SCO"
catalogue very misleading when it came to explaining how the API
can be used for programmatically talking to an IBM host.  Perhaps
in the olden days -- but today most IBMs have 3270 data streams
spewing out of them, and SCO's API certainly does not handle that.
In addition, it took SCO 2+ months just to send the software out --
and that's after they had repeatedly stated that it had been shipped.
Sigh...management problems?

milan@gpu