[comp.unix.xenix] SCO Xenix VP/IX problem

feuer@cpl-mfh.UUCP (Steven Feuerstein) (11/16/89)

Does anybody have experience using SCO VP/IX running the
following product:

* Microsoft Quick Basic Vers. 4.5
* Microsoft Quick C
* Microsoft C Compiler Vers. 5.0
* Lotus 1-2-3

I need to know if these products run under VP/IX and any limitation
encountered compared to running them under the DOS environment.

Thanks!

Steve Feuerstein
sunybcs!cpl-mfh!feuer
716-887-4572

lance@embassy.UUCP (Lance N. Antrim) (11/20/89)

Regarding programs that run, or don't run, under VP/ix, SCO says that
Word Perfect 4.2 will run but makes no mention of WP 5.0.  My experience
is that WP 5.0 won't work, possibly because of the way it uses the
keyboard.  MS Word 5.0, however, does work.

Has anyone succeeded in running WP 5.0 under VP/ix?  If so, did you have
to do anything  beyond the normal installation to get it running?

--

Lance Antrim                            Project on Multilateral Negotiation
..!uunet!embassy!lance                  American Academy of Diplomacy

frankb@usource.SARASOTA.FL.US (Frank Bicknell) (11/20/89)

In article <115@embassy.UUCP> lance@embassy.UUCP (Lance N. Antrim) writes:

> Has anyone succeeded in running WP 5.0 under VP/ix?  If so, did
> you have to do anything  beyond the normal installation to get it
> running?

I'm not familiar with WP, but is it possible they've used '286
code therein?  VP/ix only emulates 8086, right?  Windows '[23]86
won't run for that reason, which leaves out things like Excel.
--
Frank Bicknell
UniSource; 1405 Main St, Ste 709; Sarasota, FL 34236

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (11/21/89)

In article <115@embassy.UUCP> lance@embassy.UUCP (Lance N. Antrim) writes:
>Regarding programs that run, or don't run, under VP/ix, SCO says that
>Word Perfect 4.2 will run but makes no mention of WP 5.0.  My experience
>is that WP 5.0 won't work, possibly because of the way it uses the
>keyboard.  MS Word 5.0, however, does work.
>Has anyone succeeded in running WP 5.0 under VP/ix?  If so, did you have
>to do anything  beyond the normal installation to get it running?

.You may want to consider not running applications like this under VP/ix
, its intent is to provide a path for applications that are NOT
available under Xenix and ONLY available under DOS.
It is NOT a multi-user DOS package.  The performance is not that great
for heavy use, only for occassional use.  I know I'll probably be
flamed for this, but that is our experience.
Word 5.0 and WordPerfect 5.0 will both be available shortly under
NATIVE Xenix mode, so you would be better to wait for the REAL thing
and run it NATIVE.  Performance and overall will be much better.
IMHO

--
.. Computer Consulting Service     ..      Bob Willey        ..
.. P.O. Drawer 1690                ..    uunet!consult!bob   ..

compata@cup.portal.com (David H Close) (11/21/89)

WP 5.0 under VP/ix works fine (?) for me.  You must add SWITCHKEY to
vpix.cnf.  However, it doesn't seem to be able to keep up with my
(moderately fast) typing, dropping about one character per line.

Dave Close, Compata, Arlington, Texas
compata@cup.portal.com

mikes@NCoast.ORG (Mike Squires) (11/22/89)

In article <115@embassy.UUCP> lance@embassy.UUCP (Lance N. Antrim) writes:
>Has anyone succeeded in running WP 5.0 under VP/ix?  If so, did you have
>to do anything  beyond the normal installation to get it running?

I have WP 5.0 running under VP/ix without any problems.  I have a 32MB
DOS partition on the primary drive and WP is on it.  The DOS partition
is writable by the vpix user, which is necessary if WP 5.0 is to work.
I use it frequently, although not with very complex documents.

(I'm running an old version, 7/11/88; I have the newer version but
have never installed it.)

Michael L. Squires      uucp: {necntc,cwjcc,hoptoad}!ncoast!peng!sir-alan!mikes
752 Chestnut Street                 ..!{pitt,uunet!convex,uunet}!sir-alan!mikes
Meadville, PA 16335                      BITNET: mikes%sir-alan@pitt.UUCP (VAX)
Voice:  814 337 5528                          MIKES AT SIR-ALAN!PITT.UUCP (IBM)
Data:   814 337 0348             Internet: sir-alan!mikes@uunet.uu.net
login of "ubbs" for BBS                    sir-alan!mikes@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu

bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) (11/23/89)

In article <330@usource.SARASOTA.FL.US>, frankb@usource.SARASOTA.FL.US (Frank Bicknell) writes:
> In article <115@embassy.UUCP> lance@embassy.UUCP (Lance N. Antrim) writes:
> > Has anyone succeeded in running WP 5.0 under VP/ix?  If so, did
> > you have to do anything  beyond the normal installation to get it
> > running?
> I'm not familiar with WP, but is it possible they've used '286
> code therein?  VP/ix only emulates 8086, right?  Windows '[23]86
> won't run for that reason, which leaves out things like Excel.

I have run Samna AMI, which is a Windows based WP under XENIX386 2.2.3, and
it works fine.  In fact, it is much faster than on my 10mhz 80286 machine.

(I think the disk cache makes the difference).  I have also run WP5.0 under
Xenix.  To do this, I had to put WP on the DOS partition, and it would
then work.  It seems that WP MUST run on a DOS filesystem, not an emulated
DOS filesystem.  I set this up as "D:" drive, cd to D, and then run WP.

I don't know that I am doing anything else special.. Oh Yeh, I had to chown
the DOS partition to the group that runs VPIX, and chmod the DOS partition
to rwx for group.

bruce
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells}!mdi386!bruce			   bruce@mdi386.UUCP