[comp.unix.xenix] lock up with XENIX

bryan@quame.UUCP (Bryan A. Woodruff) (11/21/89)

In article <180@mdi386.UUCP>, bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) writes:
> I am running into a problem with a client, and want to know if anyone
> on the net may have a suggestion..
>
> The problem is that at sporadic times, the system just locks up solid.
> There is no warning, the swap doesn't seem overloaded (6MB swap) and
> there is never any error messages in /usr/adm/messages.  Since this
> board can't expand beyond 4MB memory, and I can't upgrade them 'til
> next year, I can't add memory at this time.

Cron will lock up, some bug with crontabs, etc.

To fix it enter this:

(file: /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/root)

first line in this file should read:

1 * * * * /bin/true

This info came from tech support directly... Nice to know eh??

Bryan Woodruff

(...!uunet!quame!bryan) bryan@quame.uu.NET

From article <118@quame.UUCP>, by bryan@quame.UUCP (Bryan A. Woodruff):
> In article <180@mdi386.UUCP>, bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) writes:
>> I am running into a problem with a client, and want to know if anyone
>> on the net may have a suggestion..
>>
>> The problem is that at sporadic times, the system just locks up solid.
>> There is no warning, the swap doesn't seem overloaded (6MB swap) and
>> there is never any error messages in /usr/adm/messages.  Since this
>> board can't expand beyond 4MB memory, and I can't upgrade them 'til
>> next year, I can't add memory at this time.

Alot of PC keyboards have a switch on the bottom to select it as a XT
or an AT style keyboard. I've seen machine lock up under DOS or XENIX
sometimes if this switch changes settings while the machine is running.
The 8042 goes out to lunch sometimes from this. I've seen keyboards
where the switch gets bumped into an in between position, the machine
powers up and runs fine until the keyboard gets shifted a little bit...

j				|%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu

don@dksfr.UUCP (don kossman) (11/24/89)

In article <5478@cps3xx.UUCP> usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
>From article <118@quame.UUCP>, by bryan@quame.UUCP (Bryan A. Woodruff):
>> In article <180@mdi386.UUCP>, bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) writes:
>>> I am running into a problem with a client, and want to know if anyone
>>> on the net may have a suggestion..
>>> The problem is that at sporadic times, the system just locks up solid.
>Alot of PC keyboards have a switch on the bottom to select it as a XT
>or an AT style keyboard. I've seen machine lock up under DOS or XENIX
>sometimes if this switch changes settings while the machine is running.
(etc)

i have a similar problem on an ALR 386/220 running xenix 2.2.1.  1M ram,
65M Microscience RLL drive w/Adaptec 2370A.

symptom is that the system "locks up" occasionally.  it seems to
happen most when i switch to another multiscreen and log in.  but
it also happens at other times.  all multiscreens go dead- no response
to keyboard input.  don't have any users on ports so don't know if
they're dead too.

A "solution" turned out to be:  unplug the keyboard from the computer.
plug it back in.  repeat a few times while hammering on the keys, especially
on the return key.  at some point during this procedure the system
speaker will emit a LONG beep as the keyboard connector is plugged back
in.  at that point the problem is solved, and the system will respond
as though nothing has happened.

there is apparently a REAL FIX to my problem (which may NOT be the same
as your problem).  it involves having a copy of adbL and patching
the kernel.  i have somehow lost the information (it appeared quite
a while ago in this newsgroup) and furthermore do not have adbL.
SCO knows about the problem, i believe it is officially called the
"keyboard lockup problem".  call them and ask.  let us know what you
find out... (i can't afford SCO tech support).

don
Don Kossman, SEI Information Technology, Los Angeles
mahendo.jpl.nasa.gov!jplgodo!seila!don OR sun!suntzu!seila!don

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) (11/25/89)

In article <287@dksfr.UUCP>, don@dksfr.UUCP (don kossman) writes:
> In article <5478@cps3xx.UUCP> usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
> >From article <118@quame.UUCP>, by bryan@quame.UUCP (Bryan A. Woodruff):
> >Alot of PC keyboards have a switch on the bottom to select it as a XT
> >or an AT style keyboard. I've seen machine lock up under DOS or XENIX
> >sometimes if this switch changes settings while the machine is running.
> (etc)
I had this with my Northgate Elegance (Adaptec/Microscience 65M) until
I swapped the keyboard for an older style which didn't have a detatchable
plug where the cable joins the keyboard. If that ever slipped, it was
hang city. The new keyboard is not the only change I made; I upgraded
the anti-static precautions to include spraying fabric softener on the
carpet. No lock-ups since.

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt

P.S. Have solved the cc error message dilemma; the *.err files in /lib
need to have links which appear in /lib/386. Where should I have found
this in the manuals?