[comp.unix.xenix] Root/Boot floppy swap-space problems

simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) (11/23/89)

How to use your harddisk for swap space when booting from floppy:

   (1) Edit /etc/default/boot on your floppy

   (2) Add this line (this is for a 1.2 meg 5.25" floppy):

        hardswap=fd(52)xenix root=fd(52) swap=hd(41) pipe=fd(52)

   (3) Save the file, reboot from floppy, and type 'hardswap' at the Boot:
       prompt.

Note that packdisk and fsck are only playing with the file systems on the
hard disks, so using this to pack your root filesystem is safe.  Also
speeds things up, and lets you use 'ls' from a floppy w/o dumping core.

Question: What is the 'pipe=fd(52)' for?  I thought pipe-space was in the
	  kernel???

--
Simon Gales@The University of Kentucky
   simon@ms.uky.edu             | 'Fate... protects fools, little children,

md@sco.COM (Michael Davidson) (11/27/89)

simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) writes:

>Question: What is the 'pipe=fd(52)' for?  I thought pipe-space was in the
>	  kernel???

No - the inodes and data blocks for pipes are allocated from a
particular filesystem device (known to the kernel as "pipedev")