[comp.unix.xenix] Multiscreens

fargo@pawl.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) (11/30/89)

I'm having some problems setting up multiscreens on SCO Xenix/286 v2.2.1.

I configured and re-linked the kernel to use 2 multiscreens (especially as I
have two physical monitors).  I can get a shell to work on the second (mono-
chrome monitor) by entering:

	csh </dev/monochrome >/dev/monochrome &

But when I switch by doing Alt-F2 and hit the break key, nothing happens.
How do I get around this?

Also, what would happen if I specify more multiscreens than I have physical
monitors?  Would I be able to use them all?  How would I get programs to run
correctly?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

--
Thank you and happy hunting!             Actually: Ethan M. Young
  ____ [> SB <]    "Travel IS life"      Internet: fargo@pawl.rpi.edu

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (11/30/89)

fargo@pawl.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) writes:

>I'm having some problems setting up multiscreens on SCO Xenix/286 v2.2.1.

>I configured and re-linked the kernel to use 2 multiscreens (especially as I
>have two physical monitors).  I can get a shell to work on the second (mono-
>chrome monitor) by entering:

>	csh </dev/monochrome >/dev/monochrome &

>But when I switch by doing Alt-F2 and hit the break key, nothing happens.
>How do I get around this?

>Also, what would happen if I specify more multiscreens than I have physical
>monitors?  Would I be able to use them all?  How would I get programs to run
>correctly?

First, you are doing it wrong.  All the multiscreens will appear on the
primary monitor when first enabled.  After you have reconfigured the
kernel you have to enable the multiscreen by typing:

	enable tty02		# for screen # 2
	enable tty03		# for screen # 3

	etc.

Then by typing the alt-F? key you will call up the screen, and you will
see a login prompt.  You can now login and use the screen normally.

If you want to use a second monitor you will have to switch monitors by
typing:

	vido mono		# to switch to the monochrome adapter
	vidi cga		# to switch to the cga adapter
	vidi ega		# to switch to the ega adapter
	vidi vga		# to switch to the vga adapter

For more information on "vidi" read the manual page.  Also, read the
manual page on "Multiscreens", it has a lot of useful info.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

erc@khijol.UUCP (Edwin R. Carp) (12/01/89)

1.	Make sure that there is a line like:

		1mtty01
		1mtty02

	in your /etc/ttys file.  Then, make sure that ther are lines like:

		ansi	tty01
		ansi	tty02

	in /etc/ttytype.

2.	Make sure that you have a getty running on the port.  You can see
	this by running ps -ef.  It will look like this:

    UID   PID  PPID  C    STIME TTY  TIME COMMAND
   root     0     0  0  Nov 29    ?  0:12 swapper
   root     1     0  0  Nov 29    ?  9:47 /etc/init
   root 23201     1  0 12:43:01  01  0:01 - tty01 m
   root 16828     1  0 03:21:40  02  0:01 - tty02 m