[comp.unix.xenix] MMDF, Smail and Elm Mailer

paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) (11/21/89)

I recently upgrade to SCO UNIX from Xenix/386.  SCO Unix comes with MMDF
and Sendmail and MMDF is driving me nuts!!   I am trying to get rid of
MMDF, especially  ^A^A^A^A in /usr/spool/mail area because ELM does not
like this at all and I get error message:

Reading in /usr/spool/mail/root, message:0
Folder is corrupt !!  I can't read it!!

Elm works fine ONLY after I delete ^A^A^A^A (real ctl-A).  I want to get
rid of this control characters.   I have ELM v2 PL0 and I still dont
have any other patches from PL0 to PL13 at all.  I prefer to get patch
via email or archiver and I dont have FTP at all.

I have tried to replace mail, rmail and execmail but ELM appears to look
for sendmail and other mail file and then it went back to MMDF for
adding ^A^A^A^A.  I still dont understand how mail works.

After I upgrade to Unix, Elm is no longer look up /usr/lib/uucp/paths
and also Unix mail appears that it is no longer using smail program.
If I type smail -A uunet!root, it works on adding pathname between here
and uunet.

I just want to get ELM to work with smail in both local and uucp mail.
Are there any patches (PL 1 to 13) support MMDF and its Smail.  Are
there other ways to get rid of MMDF or "^A^A^A^A".

Thanks in advance!

willy

-   Willy Paine                      BBS/FAX +1-206-822-4615   -
-   willyp@seaeast.WA.COM            FidoNet 1:343/15          -
-   uunet!nwnexus!seaeast!willyp     fungus.dnet.dec.com!paine -

argv%turnpike@Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (11/22/89)

In article <8911202358.AA14298@decwrl.dec.com> paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:
> I recently upgrade to SCO UNIX from Xenix/386.  SCO Unix comes with MMDF
> and Sendmail and MMDF is driving me nuts!!   I am trying to get rid of
> MMDF, especially  ^A^A^A^A in /usr/spool/mail area because ELM does not
> like this at all and I get error message:

Elm doesn't understand MMDF format, but Mush does.  Altho I am biased
towards mush for obvious reasons, I encourage you to use it because it
talks MMDF and that seems to be better than sendmail for XENIX machines.
Mush is also far more configurable about the MTA it talks to and the
format of the folders that it reads.  And in addition to the wider
spectrum of user interfaces and other features that mush provides over Elm,
Mush is also much faster than Elm (while using much less memory).

> Elm works fine ONLY after I delete ^A^A^A^A (real ctl-A).  I want to get
> rid of this control characters.   I have ELM v2 PL0 and I still dont
This is because XENIX's MMDF not only uses the ^A^A^A^A line to separate
messages, but it also uses the From_ line to do it.  It's questionable
whether this is "correct" or not, but suffice to say that most MMDF's
don't do this.  I tread water here in face of those MMDF users who know
better :-)  I trust they'll correct me if I'm wrong.

dan

I've tried running Mush with SCO UNIX 3.2 and mmdf but when I try to
send mail submit returns a error message "Can't create file" and dumps
my letter into a dead.letter file.  I would be interested in seeing the
config.h file of anyone whose has been sucessful in making this
combination work.  Or any hints. I am using Mush 6.5.

==larry
LARRY SHIELDS                        USENET: ...!frith!lunapark!larry
P.O. Box 6159                        BIX:  lshields
E. Lansing, MI 48826                 Compuserve: 70277,3677
************lunapark bbs 2400/1200 8-1-N 24hrs (517) 487-3356************

I hacked elm to handle mmdf mailboxes.  I didn't keep the old one around,
so I can't make a diff.c without extracting it, but here is where the
short addition goes.   Works fine, BUT elm deletes the ^A lines, so after
you use ELM, you will have trouble using the standard unix mailer on that
box.

(in newmbox.c)

	/** now let's copy it all across accordingly... **/

	while (fbytes < mailfile_size) {

	  if (fgets(buffer, LONG_STRING, mailfile) == NULL) break;

	  if (copyit) fputs(buffer, temp);
	  line_bytes = (long) strlen(buffer);

+	/* do not count ^A lines as anything but bytes */
+	  if( strcmp( buffer, "\001\001\001\001\n" ) == 0 ) {
+		fbytes += line_bytes;
+		continue;
+		}
	  /* Fix below to increment line count ONLY if we got a full line.
	   * Input lines longer than the fgets buffer size would
	   * get counted each time a subsequent part of them was

jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM (Jeff Beadles) (11/23/89)

In article <8911202358.AA14298@decwrl.dec.com> paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:

|I recently upgrade to SCO UNIX from Xenix/386.  SCO Unix comes with MMDF
|and Sendmail and MMDF is driving me nuts!!   I am trying to get rid of
|MMDF, especially  ^A^A^A^A in /usr/spool/mail area because ELM does not
|like this at all and I get error message:
|
|Reading in /usr/spool/mail/root, message:0
|Folder is corrupt !!  I can't read it!!
|
|Elm works fine ONLY after I delete ^A^A^A^A (real ctl-A).  I want to get
|rid of this control characters.   I have ELM v2 PL0 and I still dont
|have any other patches from PL0 to PL13 at all.  I prefer to get patch
|via email or archiver and I dont have FTP at all.
|
|I have tried to replace mail, rmail and execmail but ELM appears to look
|for sendmail and other mail file and then it went back to MMDF for
|adding ^A^A^A^A.  I still dont understand how mail works.

I had this very same problem.  I solved it by a hack.  (At least I admit it :-)

What I did was this;  I replaced the local mailer (/usr/lib/mailers/local) with
my own very special copy.  What it does, is when delivering a message, it
checks to see if there is something (a directory, file, anything) called ".elm"
in the user's home directory.  If it is there, then I don't add the bloody
^A's.  If it's not there, then I assume that they still want to use mh-mail,
and put the ^A's there for them.

Since I've got source access to the os, making this change wasn't difficult.
If you want the diffs, let me know.  I can't send the source though, sorry...

	-Jeff
--
Jeff Beadles		Utek Engineering, Tektronix Inc.
jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM

steve@txsil.lonestar.org (Steve McConnel) (12/03/89)

In article <5484@cps3xx.UUCP> las@frith.UUCP (Larry A. Shields) writes:
>I've tried running Mush with SCO UNIX 3.2 and mmdf but when I try to
>send mail submit returns a error message "Can't create file" . . .

We ran into a similar problem.  Here's the solution i found yesterday:  check
the file permissions under /usr/spool/mmdf/lock.  Here's what they should be:
	700	/usr/spool/mmdf/lock/
	777	/usr/spool/mmdf/lock/home/
	777	/usr/spool/mmdf/lock/home/tmp/
	777	/usr/spool/mmdf/lock/home/addr/
	777	/usr/spool/mmdf/lock/home/q.*/
	777	/usr/spool/mmdf/lock/home/msg/
This information is hidden in the User's Reference manual under QUEUE(F).
The directories under /usr/spool/mmdf/lock were also set to 700, possibly
by default when we installed the SCO UNIX 3.2 system.  I hope this helps --
no guarantee we had the same problem, but we did have the same symptom.
--
Stephen McConnel
Summer Institute of Linguistics  PHONE: 214-709-2418