[comp.unix.xenix] Foxbase 2.0 performance

jayen@shanti.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Jayen Vaghani) (11/21/89)

We are currently running Foxplus 1.04 under Xenix on a 16Mhz 386 and we are
finding the performance quite bad. I was wondering if anyone can tell us if
Foxplus 2.0 provides any performance improvements over what we have at the moment.

Thanks, Jayen.
-------
UUCP:	{uunet,ukc,ubc-cs,mcvax}!munnari.oz!jayen
ARPA:	jayen%munnari.oz@uunet.uu.net

michael@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Michael Duebner) (11/21/89)

In article <2763@munnari.oz.au> jayen@shanti.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Jayen Vaghani) writes:
>We are currently running Foxplus 1.04 under Xenix on a 16Mhz 386 and we are
>finding the performance quite bad. I was wondering if anyone can tell us if
>Foxplus 2.0 provides any performance improvements over what we have at the moment.
>
>Thanks, Jayen.
>-------
>UUCP:	{uunet,ukc,ubc-cs,mcvax}!munnari.oz!jayen
>ARPA:	jayen%munnari.oz@uunet.uu.net

I can report to you a very large increase in performance.  We recently
converted from the 286 version of Foxbase to the native 386 version on a
16MHz 386 with 4 MB of ram.

It is just unbelievable that we are still running the same hardware
platform.  The application we are running under Foxbase is an accounting
package.  Aging the receivables with about 300 customers used to take about
12 minutes with no system load (no other activity other than this one going
on).  Now the same procedure is completed in 1-2 minutes.

To sum it up, its worth the upgrade.

Michael Duebner	                UUCP : michael@ddsw1.MCS.COM
Tech Svc, Buffalo Grove, IL             	312/541-6550

In article <2763@munnari.oz.au> jayen@shanti.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Jayen Vaghani) writes:
>We are currently running Foxplus 1.04 under Xenix on a 16Mhz 386 and we are
>finding the performance quite bad. I was wondering if anyone can tell us if
>Foxplus 2.0 provides any performance improvements over what we have at the moment.

2.0 is MUCH faster.  The difference is unbelievable.  We recently installed
2.0 on a customer system and I couldn't believe my eyes.

It's well worth upgrading your package; the 2.0 release provides near-MSDOS
speed on identical hardware (ie: you run nearly as fast on Xenix as you do
on MSDOS), and is still multiuser.

We've noted a couple of quirks, but no real bugs.  Everything seems to work
just fine, even without a recompile.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]

thurm@shorty.CS.WISC.EDU (Matthew Thurmaier) (11/23/89)

FoxBASE+ 2.10 Performance is FAR greater than foxbase 1.04, provided you
are running compiled.  It still has some bugs though.

Matthew.
Snail Mail:                                 E Mail:
Matthew J. Thurmaier                ...decvax!garp!harvard!uwvax!thurm
The Computer Classroom              matt@shorty.cs.wisc.edu
6701 Seybold Road, Ste. 122
Madison, WI 53719
(608) 271-2171
                                  "why am I ALWAYS going somewhere?" >>-matt-->

edhew@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) (11/29/89)

In article <9210@spool.cs.wisc.edu> thurm@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Matthew Thurmaier) writes:
>FoxBASE+ 2.10 Performance is FAR greater than foxbase 1.04, provided you
>are running compiled.  It still has some bugs though.

SCO now has (as of about 2 months ago) fox+ 2.1.1a available.  It's
a minor upgrade for registered 2.1.0 owners.  We carry it in stock
(at work), so I would assume that most SCO 3rd level resellers would
have it.  You do have to provide the serial number, in return for
which you get some useful buggy-fixes.

>Matthew J. Thurmaier                ...decvax!garp!harvard!uwvax!thurm
>The Computer Classroom              matt@shorty.cs.wisc.edu

  Ed. A. Hew       Authorized Technical Trainer        Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
->home:	 edhew@xenitec.on.ca	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!edhew
    # Justice is only relative to what you can afford to prove in court.

ericc@vpnet.UUCP (Eric Christainsen) (12/03/89)

Matt - Do you think SCO will come out with FOXPRO. I have seen it under DOS
and it has some very nice features. What has been the lag time from a DOS
release to the XENIX release. Does SCO purchase the source code from Fox
Software or is there a third party involved? By the way, is your
communications cla still on for the end of Feb. I might be back from skiing
by then . Let me Know, eh!