[comp.unix.xenix] SCO Xenix 2.3.2 GT -- Info/Help

gumby@ucrmath.UCR.EDU (john donahue) (12/05/89)

    After reading all those articles about using SCSI disks in conjunction
with SCO Xenix, I decided it is the thing for me. Currently, I am running
SCO Xenix on my lowly 286 machine but have ordered a brand new, super nice
386 machine which is due to arrive shortly.

	I have heard about this new version called 2.3.2 GT and would like to
know more about it from those of you who have this version and are using
it in conjunction with SCSI drives. One place that I called told me that
to purchase this GT version, I would be charged extra. I am wondering if
that is really fair: or more appropriately; whether it truly is an
extension that SCO charges for and is thus warranted. I don't mind paying
for it if that is the case, but if this "GT" version (which, as far as I
know is merely 2.3.2 with SCSI drivers) is just a simple patch you can
get for free, then I'd like to tell this vendor that I want to buy just
"plain old" 2.3.2 and then get this "patch" myself. If not, and there
really is more to it than that, then I'll pay the extra amount and order
to "full" 2.3.2 GT. Who out there can tell me how they got their "GT"
version, and how much it cost (if anything) and anything else you
can think of that I might want to know?

	One more, final thing: I also "heard" that there is only a few (or
maybe just one) kind of SCSI controller that this "GT" version
supports. Is this true? It was something like the Adaptec 1410 or
something like that and I would like to know so I can buy one and then
buy any SCSI drive I want and have things work properly. Anybody out
there care to list their hardware setup (with model numbers for the
controller card and any other specifics that are noteworthy to solve
this dilemma)?

Thanks MUCH in advance,

John Donahue
Alchemy Software Designs
--
INET: gumby@ucrmath.ucr.edu
UUCP: {ucsd, uci, ucdavis}!ucrmath!gumby

"Consequences, schmonsequences, as long as I'm rich" -- Daffy Duck

norsk@sequent.UUCP (Doug Thompson) (12/06/89)

In article <2882@ucrmath.UCR.EDU> gumby@ucrmath.UUCP (john donahue) writes:

> (deleted)
>	I have heard about this new version called 2.3.2 GT and would like to
>know more about it from those of you who have this version and are using
>it in conjunction with SCSI drives. One place that I called told me that
>to purchase this GT version, I would be charged extra. I am wondering if
>that is really fair: or more appropriately; whether it truly is an
>extension that SCO charges for and is thus warranted. I don't mind paying
>for it if that is the case, but if this "GT" version (which, as far as I
>know is merely 2.3.2 with SCSI drivers) is just a simple patch you can
>get for free, then I'd like to tell this vendor that I want to buy just
>"plain old" 2.3.2 and then get this "patch" myself. If not, and there
>really is more to it than that, then I'll pay the extra amount and order
>to "full" 2.3.2 GT. Who out there can tell me how they got their "GT"
>version, and how much it cost (if anything) and anything else you
>can think of that I might want to know?

The GT version is not just a patch. The GT version allows the user to boot
off a standard WD-like controller and/or an Adaptec AHA-154xA controller
(that is the SCSI controller). I believe they also have an ESDI
controller driver that is bootable. Its not very easy to get the
Kernel to boot off a device other than the WD-like controllers due
to the many assumptions that we made when Xenix was being built.
SCO fixed these assumptions with a kernel that is more general in
nature as to which device to boot from. After doing a driver for
Xenix for a removeable disk drive, I have appreciation for the
work involved in getting a kernel to boot off of several devices
and make that decision at boot time. These features are
extra under XENIX 2.3.x for the GT version and cost abt $100
more. But its worth it. Under SCO UNIX V/386 3.2 these
features are standard and then some.

The SCSI controller is the above mentioned AHA-154xA (where
the 'x' is 0 for No floppy support or 2 for floppy controller
on the card)

--
Douglas Thompson		UUCP: ..{tektronix,ogcvax,uunet}!sequent!norsk
Sequent Computer Systems	Phone: (503) 526-5727