[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix 386-AT vs. 386-GT

snelson@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (steven.c.nelson) (11/30/89)

I would very much like to obtain Xenix for my ALR SX386Z, but I
have been having a world of trouble getting a version that will
boot.

My reseller originally ordered the 386-AT version for me, but it
absolutely refused to even boot.  From what I've been able to determine
the incompatibility is with the Seagate 80Meg SCSI hard drive that
I've got installed in this machine.

My reseller was told by SCO that I needed the 386-GT update.  Has
anyone had any experience with this version?  The reseller and their
distributor have never heard of it.  They ended up FAX'ing their order
directly to SCO.

I'd really like to know if this has any chance of working before I shell
out more money for the GT update.

Thanks,
s.c.nelson

lance@embassy.UUCP (Lance N. Antrim) (11/30/89)

From article <3399@cbnewsd.ATT.COM>, by snelson@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (steven.c.nelson):

> I'd really like to know if this has any chance of working before I shell
> out more money for the GT update.
>
> Thanks,
> s.c.nelson

The GT version provides support for SCSI drives and for DC-2000 tape
drives (not all are supported, but more than just the Irwin drive
supported by the AT version).  When I got my system (2.3.2) the AT
version listed for $100 less than the GT.  I don't know what has
happened since then, but it seems strange to confuse the product line
with both the AT and GT versions.  Does anyone know if the AT version is
(or has been) dropped?

--

Lance Antrim                            Project on Multilateral Negotiation
..!uunet!embassy!lance                  American Academy of Diplomacy

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (12/02/89)

In article <119@embassy.UUCP> lance@embassy.UUCP (Lance N. Antrim) writes:
|                                            I don't know what has
| happened since then, but it seems strange to confuse the product line
| with both the AT and GT versions.  Does anyone know if the AT version is
| (or has been) dropped?

  The AT version dropped? I suspect that SCO sells about an order of
magnitude more AT versions than the GT.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen

daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) (12/04/89)

In article <3399@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> snelson@cbnewsd.ATT.COM writes:
>My reseller originally ordered the 386-AT version for me, but it
>absolutely refused to even boot.  From what I've been able to determine
>the incompatibility is with the Seagate 80Meg SCSI hard drive that
>I've got installed in this machine.
>
>My reseller was told by SCO that I needed the 386-GT update.  Has
>anyone had any experience with this version?  The reseller and their
>distributor have never heard of it.  They ended up FAX'ing their order
>directly to SCO.

We just upgraded an Everex 25mhz 386 machine with a ST-506 drive to
ESDI (Maxtor 1470) by ordering the GT upgrade kit.  The installation
went almost flawlessly.  The (dkinit?) installation procedure failed
to properly read the ESDI setup info from the drive, but it was a simple
matter to type in the correct values.  I have no experience with installing
SCSI drives, but the GT-installation has no obvious problems.

BTW, the GT was the first installion in which `mkdev tape' actually found
the right parameters when auto-detecting the tape configuration.  Or
perhaps this was just the first time we installed the right drive. :-)

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com

mikes@NCoast.ORG (Mike Squires) (12/07/89)

I'm running SCO XENIX 2.3.2 GT on a Tandy 4000LX with an Adaptec 1540A
(not Tandy) controller and a CDC SCSI primary, Micropolis SCSI secondary,
and Cipher 150BM SCSI streamer.  The installation was completely without
incident (other than working perfectly).  The drives seem sightly slower
than an ESDI controller but the easy expansion is worth it.

This system is now running as a public access BBS at 814 337 0348 (2400/1200/
9600 HST) and 814 337 3159 (2400/19.2K/9600/1200 TB+).