[comp.unix.xenix] Core Dumps

root@ozdaltx.UUCP (Scotty) (04/19/88)

Is anyone else running news on SCO XENIX running into
'Memory Fault - Core dump' on certain article headers where
the Newsgroup line is extreamly long? (Ie. > 128 chars?).

Seem like lately we've had a rash of postings that seem to
cover as many as 20 newsgroups in a single cross-post.

Any ideas?
Thanx

| Scotty                     |  Adapt - Enjoy - Survive    |
| ihnp4!killer!ozdaltx!sysop |  "Ad Venerem Securiorem"    |

john@jclyde.UUCP (John B. Meaders Jr.) (04/20/88)

In article <4782@ozdaltx.UUCP> root@ozdaltx.UUCP (Scotty) writes:
>Is anyone else running news on SCO XENIX running into
>'Memory Fault - Core dump' on certain article headers where
>the Newsgroup line is extreamly long? (Ie. > 128 chars?).

I am.  I applied the fix posted recently to change BUFLEN in rightgroup in
rfuncs.c to LBUFLEN.  This hasn't eliminated the problem.  I still get the
occasional dump.

Anybody know why this is happening?
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.  1114 Camino La Costa #3083, Austin, TX  78752
ATT:  Voice:  +1 (512) 451-5038  Data:  +1 (512) 371-0550

mike@ists (Mike Clarkson) (04/22/88)

In article <4782@ozdaltx.UUCP>, root@ozdaltx.UUCP (Scotty) writes:
> Is anyone else running news on SCO XENIX running into
> 'Memory Fault - Core dump' on certain article headers where
> the Newsgroup line is extreamly long? (Ie. > 128 chars?).

Yes, this is happening to me too.  I can't seem to find where this is
happening.  The field in hbuf for the newsgroups line is usually set to
LBUFLEN which is 1024,

<header.h>
struct	hbuf {
	char	from[BUFLEN];		/* From:		*/
	char	path[PATHLEN];		/* Path:		*/
	char	nbuf[LBUFLEN];		/* Newsgroups:		*/

but somewhere this must be getting jammed into something of BUFLEN in
size, which is 128 on small address space systems.

Can anyone find where this is happening?

--
Mike Clarkson						mike@ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science

jfh@rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (04/26/88)

In article <188@ists> mike@ists (Mike Clarkson) writes:
>In article <4782@ozdaltx.UUCP>, root@ozdaltx.UUCP (Scotty) writes:
>> Is anyone else running news on SCO XENIX running into
>> 'Memory Fault - Core dump' on certain article headers where
>> the Newsgroup line is extreamly long? (Ie. > 128 chars?).
>
>Yes, this is happening to me too.  I can't seem to find where this is
>happening.  The field in hbuf for the newsgroups line is usually set to
>LBUFLEN which is 1024,
>--
>Mike Clarkson						mike@ists.UUCP

FLAME ON!

have we all forgotten how to debug a program???

first, start by determining WHERE this is happening.  to do that you
need to compile with -g turned on.

then, determine which exact article caused the core dump by looking at
the header which was being processed when you caught the core dump.

next, figure out what about the article caused the dump.  THEN FIX IT.

FLAME OFF!

i suspect this is not the actual problem.  has anyone seen if any
pdp-11's are having this problem?  make the damned fields larger, if
the trouble goes away, consider it fixed.  what about path length?

just for my $0.02 worth - the '386 isn't having this problem.  i may
recompile -M2s if noone finds the bug soon ...

- john.
--
John F. Haugh II                 | "You see, I want a lot.  Perhaps I want every
River Parishes Programming       | -thing.  The darkness that comes with every

mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) (05/03/88)

In article <1293@rpp386.UUCP>, jfh@rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) writes:
> FLAME ON!
>
> have we all forgotten how to debug a program???
>
> first, start by determining WHERE this is happening.  to do that you
> need to compile with -g turned on.
>
>    <etc>

This is an idiotic flame.  Very few people are interested in debugging
every program that goes wrong on their system, *especially* all of the
system programs that you use every day.  The reasonable thing when finding
a problem is to ask for a solution, and not to try to hunt for the answer
in parallel with the other 10,000 people who also use the program!  No,
we have not all forgotten how to debug, but we are more interested in
debugging things that are more closely related to our *own* lives.
--
Mark E. Mallett  PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) (12/10/89)

I am porting a large program to SCO UNIX System/V 386 r3.2 and
it has acquired the habit of core dumping here and there. There
isn't a lot of use in looking at the dumps, which (due to data)
are about 8 MBytes. I have tried to find a limit I can put on
the size of core dumps, or a way to pipe them to /dev/null, etc.
because it's pretty annoying to wait for the thing to dump 8
MBytes before much else useful can be done with the machine.

I put a file in the directory with the name core, owned by
root and read only, but the dump still happens. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew Mullhaupt

In article <591@s5.Morgan.COM>, amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) writes:
> I put a file in the directory with the name core, owned by
> root and read only, but the dump still happens. Any ideas?

How about making a directory named "core".  In SysV Rel 3.2 the kernel will
not overwrite a directory named core.  Be careful using this technique in
older systems because you could end up with a munged.

captain@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Jeffrey Kirk) (12/11/89)

:
:I put a file in the directory with the name core, owned by
:root and read only, but the dump still happens. Any ideas?
:

Try: ln /dev/null core, from the directory where you get the dump.