[comp.unix.xenix] Hayes V Series

rick@crash.cts.com (Rick Stout) (12/11/89)

Does anybody know it SCO Xenix 2.3 supports Hayes 9600 V Series
modems?  Does it take a special dialer program?

Is there any compatability problems with the V Series?
Do they switch down to 2400 baud if you call up at 2400?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Rick
!crash!eysd!rick

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (12/11/89)

> Does anybody know it SCO Xenix 2.3 supports Hayes 9600 V Series
> modems?  Does it take a special dialer program?
>
> Is there any compatability problems with the V Series?
> Do they switch down to 2400 baud if you call up at 2400?
>
> Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Hi Rick.  I have been running with a pair of V-Series for the last 90
days without problems both under SCO Xenix and now under Interactive
Unix System V.   With both operating systems, I locked the port at 9600
baud (the V-Series didn't like 19.2kbaud) and used only one gettydef
entry for 9600 baud - and let the modem handle the downshifting to the
carrier baud rate.   Throughput on V.42 connections averages around
930 cps, and MNP connections at 2400 baud average 265 cps.

larry@nstar

--
Larry Snyder, Northern Star Communications, Notre Dame, IN
uucp: root@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!root

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (12/12/89)

In article <877@crash.cts.com> rick@crash.cts.com (Rick Stout) writes:
>Does anybody know it SCO Xenix 2.3 supports Hayes 9600 V Series
>modems?  Does it take a special dialer program?
>Is there any compatability problems with the V Series?
>Do they switch down to 2400 baud if you call up at 2400?
>!crash!eysd!rick

Rick, Yes the Hayes V9600 modems will work.  I had spent some
time trying to get them to work with an older version, and had some
problems.  John Aitken & Randy Cooper at Hayes Tech Support did
some research and put the entire config in a message form.  I do
not have the info handy at this moment, but you could call our bulletin
board and join the Hayes conference and read all the info.
It is (301) 476-5098  1200/2400/V9600 8N1  24hrs.  It is primarily
a MSDOS bulletin board, but conferences for Hayes and also for
Unix/Xenix are available along with file areas for Unix/Xenix.
I will try to get the info together and post for you.

--
.. Computer Consulting Service     ..      Bob Willey        ..
.. P.O. Drawer 1690                ..    uunet!consult!bob   ..