[comp.unix.xenix] SCO TCP/IP ARP

roger@busmn.waiariki.ac.nz (Roger Hill) (10/23/89)

Followup-To:comp.unix.xenix

Hello all from down under.

I am using SCO TCP/IP (ver 1.0 beta) and am having a problem with ARP,
could somebody out there please help me.

 When trying to create an arp entry to have this host act as an
 Arp server ( arp -s mypc 0:0:c0:cf:c6:12 pub ) I get the following
 message:
    ioctl failed errno = 1
    mypc : Not owner

 Yes I did run this command as root, What is mypc not the owner of ?

I would be most interested in hearing from anybody else that is useing
SCO TCP/IP. Has anybody heard when a new release is due.

Many thanks in advance :-)

Roger ...

=- Roger Hill  Computer studies Tutor & System Administrator             -=
=- Snail mail: Waiariki Polytechnic, Private Bag, Rotorua, New Zealand   -=
=- Phone: work +64 73 468 999 , home +64 73 477 635                      -=
=- Dom: roger@waiariki.ac.nz  , Bang: uunet!vuwcomp!nzfc!mof!busmn!roger -=

akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (10/24/89)

>I am using SCO TCP/IP (ver 1.0 beta) and am having a problem with ARP,
>could somebody out there please help me.

I can't help you with your problems - but I am interested in learning
about your experiences with TCP/IP.  I would like to network this machine
(running SCO 2.3.2) to another machine running DOS - what do I need,
how well will it work and how much $$$?

Larry

  We are pretty happy with SCO TCP (I don't think we've tried arp, tho).
We have a number of people using it, including running SLIP of 'Blazers.
I have no idea what you need to do TCP on the DOS machine (although I'd
start with xenix ;-).

that the world is flat!" - anon

rpeglar@csinc.UUCP (Rob Peglar x615) (10/25/89)

In article <1434@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

>   We are pretty happy with SCO TCP (I don't think we've tried arp, tho).
> We have a number of people using it, including running SLIP of 'Blazers.
> I have no idea what you need to do TCP on the DOS machine (although I'd
> start with xenix ;-).

I'd like to poll the group about what h/w and s/w packages people are
using to implement TCP/IP over Ethernet (at least FTP and telnet at the
application level) on Xenix 2.3.2.

E-mail your responses, I'll summarize and post.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
--
Rob Peglar	Control Systems, Inc.	2675 Patton Rd., St. Paul MN 55113
...uunet!csinc!rpeglar		612-631-7800

The posting above does not necessarily represent the policies of my employer.

thurm@shorty.CS.WISC.EDU (Matthew Thurmaier) (10/28/89)

In article <1434@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>I have no idea what you need to do TCP on the DOS machine (although I'd
>start with xenix ;-).
>
>--
>bill davidsen	(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)

I have Wollongong's WIN/TCP for DOS and UNIX.  I'm not using the UNIX version
(yet), but like the DOS version.  I will be using it and the network to run
X on my DOS machine starting next week.  Until then, it's just used to terminal
in and do file serving.

Matthew.
Snail Mail:                                 E Mail:
Matthew J. Thurmaier                ...decvax!garp!harvard!uwvax!thurm
The Computer Classroom              matt@shorty.cs.wisc.edu
6701 Seybold Road, Ste. 122
Madison, WI 53719
(608) 271-2171
                                  "why am I ALWAYS going somewhere?" >>-matt-->

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (12/11/89)

In article <[2543bdfd:94.1]comp.unix.xenix;1@nstar.UUCP> akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
%I can't help you with your problems - but I am interested in learning
%about your experiences with TCP/IP.  I would like to network this machine
%(running SCO 2.3.2) to another machine running DOS - what do I need,
%how well will it work and how much $$$?
%
%Larry
 Me too.

+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (12/13/89)

SCO TCP/IP has worked well for me.  We've sold version 1.0.0 (the so-called
"controlled release") to several customers running Xenix 2.3.1, and we use
it in-house as well.  We use it with the WD8003 (EtherLink Plus).  It's
great.  The development kit in particular is _super_.  Porting BSD code is a
snap.

However, it does have one fault.  The resolver library is broken.  We've
stuck with host files.  If the lack of a resolver is a problem, I think you
can pick up BSD's, and I know that porting it to SCO TCP/IP will be easy.
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>