[comp.unix.xenix] VP/ix & tty2a hanging

mikes@sir-alan.UUCP (Mike Squires) (12/11/89)

On "sir-alan", a Tandy 4000LX running SCO XENIX V 2.3.2 GT with VP/ix
(update A installed) failing to log out of VP/ix before a reboot will
lock the comm port used by VP/ix (tty2a in this case) so that a power
on/off cycle must be used to reset the port.

Enabling/disabling the port seems to do nothing; XENIX comm programs
can't talk to the port until the hardware is recycled.  Any ideas?

frankb@usource.SARASOTA.FL.US (Frank Bicknell) (12/13/89)

In article <184@sir-alan.UUCP> mikes@sir-alan.UUCP (Mike Squires) writes:
> On "sir-alan", a Tandy 4000LX running SCO XENIX V 2.3.2 GT with
> VP/ix (update A installed) failing to log out of VP/ix before a
> reboot will lock the comm port used by VP/ix (tty2a in this case)
> so that a power on/off cycle must be used to reset the port.
>
> Enabling/disabling the port seems to do nothing; XENIX comm
> programs can't talk to the port until the hardware is recycled.
> Any ideas?

I have found that this happens under certain situations with our
port without VP/ix comming into play.  Here's how it happens:

If the port is enabled and I bring the system down by cheating
(ie umnt -r + sync;haltsys)... the 'TR' remains on after Xenix
dies.  I must then cycle the power to the machine to get that
port reset.  If I kill the getty process on that port
(preventing another from being spawned first, of course), the
light goes off and I can re-use the port after the reboot.

My theory is that it has more to do with the com port hardware
and very little if anything to do with Xenix or, in your case,
VP/ix.  Having only one port so far, I haven't been able to
verify my theory, however :) .
--
Frank Bicknell
UniSource; 1405 Main St, Ste 709; Sarasota, FL 34236