[comp.unix.xenix] IRQ 2 and tape drives

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (12/14/89)

Subject: Re: archive tape drives, xenix, how to setup
In article <135@wyn386.UUCP> danielw@wyn386.UUCP (Daniel Wynalda) writes:
>I have an archive tape drive controller and archive tape drive (60MB drive)
>IRQ 2 on the jumper and for the installation of the tape drive.  For TYPE

Your problem is probably in the mkdev tape, you should specify the
IRQ as 25 and everything should be fine.  IRQ 2 is a special interrupt and
must be defined differently to the mkdev routine.  Change the driver to 25
and give it a shot, leaving the hardware the same, and you should be cooking.

Give this a try.
--
.. Computer Consulting Service     ..      Bob Willey        ..
.. P.O. Drawer 1690                ..    uunet!consult!bob   ..

jim@bahamut.fsc.com (James O'Connor) (12/15/89)

In article <257@consult.UUCP>, bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) writes:
> In article <135@wyn386.UUCP> danielw@wyn386.UUCP (Daniel Wynalda) writes:
> >I have an archive tape drive controller and archive tape drive (60MB drive)
> >IRQ 2 on the jumper and for the installation of the tape drive.  For TYPE
>
> Your problem is probably in the mkdev tape, you should specify the
> IRQ as 25 and everything should be fine.  IRQ 2 is a special interrupt and
> must be defined differently to the mkdev routine.  Change the driver to 25
> and give it a shot, leaving the hardware the same, and you should be cooking.

I tried using INT 2 on my Archive controller, too, and never could get it
to work, so I took out a parallel port card, and used INT 5.  Then, later,
I had trouble with a WD 8003 ethernet board, and needed to run it on INT 2,
but luckily the documentation with SCO TCP/IP specifically mentioned that
if you set the hardware for INT 2, that you had to tell the software INT 25.
I wish the Archive installation docs had mentioned this, my headache back
then would have been much less severe.
James B. O'Connor			Work:	jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Data Processing Manager  		Play:   jim@bahamut.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		UUCP:	uunet!tiamat!jim