[comp.unix.xenix] SCO UNIX

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (12/14/89)

We are a small software operation developing on Xenix 386 but distributing
to above plus AT&T Unix, Interactive, Altos, etc.   I suspect like many folks
we are standing at the water's edge looking in at SCO UNIX and thinking,
	How Cold?
	How Deep?
	Do I Hafta?

Here are some questions about differences with Xenix and UNIX.  If they cause
flames, fine.  (I always wear sunglasses while reading news..)

1. Does SCO UNIX only allow you to login as ROOT on the CONSOLE?

2. Does SCO UNIX let you do a HALTSYS in 5 seconds and powerdown quick when
	thunderstorms approach?

3. Does SCO UNIX uucp still have those nifty dialer programs that remember to
kick yer modem into auto-answer mode when you enable the port for login?

4. Can SCO UNIX produce mountable floppy file systems edible by both Xenix,
and the AT&T/Interactive cabal?  (Obviously, we will be shipping to Xenix
clients for a while yet...)

5. Does SCO UNIX still have the Custom facility?

6. Is SCO UNIX really slower once you turn off security?

7. Is there a time limit on the ~*GENEROUS*~ upgrade program?

8. When will comp.unix.xenix become comp.unix.sco?

As always, we thank you for your support....

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd
Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247
uunet!emory!jdyx!mnopltd!neal Or uunet!gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal

jpp@specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) (12/15/89)

neal@mnopltd.UUCP writes:
>We are a small software operation developing on Xenix 386 but distributing
>to above plus AT&T Unix, Interactive, Altos, etc.   I suspect like many folks
>we are standing at the water's edge looking in at SCO UNIX and thinking,
>	How Cold?
>	How Deep?
>	Do I Hafta?

We just bit the bullet and changed one of our main development boxes to
unix from xenix.

>1. Does SCO UNIX only allow you to login as ROOT on the CONSOLE?

Nope, root can log in ant place if you get rid of the C2 *crap*.
(turning off the extra security is an option in sysadmsh)

>2. Does SCO UNIX let you do a HALTSYS in 5 seconds and powerdown quick when
>	thunderstorms approach?

Yes and no,  yes it will haltsys but it may not leave all the drives
celan all the time.   Init 0 is better, it leaves the system clean and
takes ~30 seconds.

>3. Does SCO UNIX uucp still have those nifty dialer programs that remember to
>kick yer modem into auto-answer mode when you enable the port for login?

Yep, and the version that I hacked for Xenix ported, compiled and ran with
no problems.

>4. Can SCO UNIX produce mountable floppy file systems edible by both Xenix,
>and the AT&T/Interactive cabal?  (Obviously, we will be shipping to Xenix
>clients for a while yet...)

Yes.

>5. Does SCO UNIX still have the Custom facility?

Yes and it got better (Well I think so !).

>6. Is SCO UNIX really slower once you turn off security?

What ?   Our feeling here is that SCO unix is faster than  xenix.  This
is a subjective view and is based on file system performance more than
anything else.

>7. Is there a time limit on the ~*GENEROUS*~ upgrade program?

Ask SCO.

>8. When will comp.unix.xenix become comp.unix.sco?

No please anything but another com.unix.fishnames debate :-)

>As always, we thank you for your support....

The system here is an Intel 302 (25 Mhz 386) with 16 Mb ram, 433 MB
disk (2 AFS file systems and one XENIX file system).   Most of the
problems we have had have been with mmdf and the lack of documentation
for it.

--
John Pettitt				UUCP:  uunet!slxsys!jpp
Internet: John.Pettitt@specialix.co.uk	JANET: emxxjpp@uk.ac.brunel.me

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg) (12/17/89)

In article <115@mnopltd.UUCP> gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:
:1. Does SCO UNIX only allow you to login as ROOT on the CONSOLE?
	I can login as root from anywhere, including telnet.
:2. Does SCO UNIX let you do a HALTSYS in 5 seconds and powerdown quick when
:	thunderstorms approach?
	There are some questions about using haltsys, but "init 0"
	works fast enough to get the job done.
:4. Can SCO UNIX produce mountable floppy file systems edible by both Xenix,
:and the AT&T/Interactive cabal?  (Obviously, we will be shipping to Xenix
:clients for a while yet...)
	I compile the ISC flavor of Pro-YAM on SCO now.
	Thank heavens for ln(1).
:
:5. Does SCO UNIX still have the Custom facility?
	Yes.
:
:6. Is SCO UNIX really slower once you turn off security?
	Modulo process accounting, the C2 doesn't seem to slow
	things down, just maybe breaks things.
	SCO Unix doesn't seem slow to me (compared to Xenix).