[comp.unix.xenix] Kernel Warning?

glenn@stsim.ocs.com (glenn ford) (12/13/89)

I am running SCO386 2.3.1 xenix and get the following warning messages
displayed to root, and also in /usr/adm/messages:
kernel: WARNING: no file

any idea what this means? thanks in advance

Glenn Ford
..uunet!ocsmd!stsim!glenn

kory@avatar.UUCP (Kory Hamzeh) (12/15/89)

In article <841@stsim.ocs.com> glenn@stsim (glenn ford) writes:
>I am running SCO386 2.3.1 xenix and get the following warning messages
>displayed to root, and also in /usr/adm/messages:
>kernel: WARNING: no file
>
>any idea what this means? thanks in advance
>
>Glenn Ford
>..uunet!ocsmd!stsim!glenn

It means that you have reached the maximum number of files that can be open
at any given time. What do you do to cause this error to happen?

Kory Hamzeh             UUCP: avatar!kory or ..!uunet!psivax!quad1!avatar!kory
                    INTERNET: avatar!kory@quad.com

scotto@crash.cts.com (Scott O'Connell) (12/15/89)

In article <841@stsim.ocs.com> glenn@stsim (glenn ford) writes:
>I am running SCO386 2.3.1 xenix and get the following warning messages
>displayed to root, and also in /usr/adm/messages:
>kernel: WARNING: no file
>
>any idea what this means? thanks in advance

You're not running Informix, are you?   We ran into this problem when
we started using Informix SQL and 4GL.  Evidentally, each time an
Informix process would be executed from their menu system it would open
serveral files.  SCO support helped us with with right away.  Raise the
NFILE and NINODE parameters and relink the kernel.

I have 8 users, normally all using Informix, and have had to raise the
NFILE and NINODE to 600.  SCO said the 400 recommended limit in the
config can be ignored as long as you have sufficent memory.

--
Scott O'Connell		UUCP: {nosc, ucsd, hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!ipars!scotto
			ARPA: crash!ipars!scotto@nosc.mil

daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) (12/16/89)

In article <841@stsim.ocs.com> glenn@stsim (glenn ford) writes:
>I am running SCO386 2.3.1 xenix and get the following warning messages
>displayed to root, and also in /usr/adm/messages:
>kernel: WARNING: no file
>
>any idea what this means? thanks in advance

You have exceeded NFILE (max concurrently open files) in the kernel
configuration.  You will have to run /usr/sys/conf/configure and
increase the NFILE and NINODE counts, then relink the kernel.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com

glenn@stsim.ocs.com (glenn ford) (12/17/89)

In article <898@crash.cts.com> scotto@crash.cts.com (Scott O'Connell) writes:
>In article <841@stsim.ocs.com> glenn@stsim (glenn ford) writes:
>>I am running SCO386 2.3.1 xenix and get the following warning messages
>>displayed to root, and also in /usr/adm/messages:
>>kernel: WARNING: no file
>>
>>any idea what this means? thanks in advance
>
>You're not running Informix, are you?   We ran into this problem when
>we started using Informix SQL and 4GL.  Evidentally, each time an
>Informix process would be executed from their menu system it would open
>serveral files.  SCO support helped us with with right away.  Raise the
>NFILE and NINODE parameters and relink the kernel.

Thank you Scott.  I raised mine from 100 (default) to 150.  Will see if
that fixes it, if not I will continue to raise it.  I never have more than
like 3 users on my system at one time so I should be ok.  Thanks again to
you and all else who sent me email.

Glenn Ford
..uunet!ocsmd!stsim!glenn