[comp.unix.xenix] FAX Boards under XENIX

dutchyn@alberta.uucp (Chris Dutchyn) (12/14/89)

A company that I do some consulting for is interested in upgrading
an MSDOS machine to XENIX (so they can get some real work done :-)
However, they use this machine as a FAX machine, using one of the
readily available FAX boards for IBM PC and compatible machines.
The question is this: is there any XENIX software to enable FAX boards
to run; that way they can be sending/receiving FAX transmissions and
still using the machine to perform useful work.

				Christopher Dutchyn
	dutchyn@alberta.uucp	Dept. of Computing Science
	dutchyn@cs.alberta.can	University of Alberta

perry@bluemtn.uucp (Perry Minyard) (12/18/89)

In article <1989Dec13.185218.11809@alberta.uucp> dutchyn@alberta.uucp (Chris Dutchyn) writes:
>A company that I do some consulting for is interested in upgrading
>an MSDOS machine to XENIX (so they can get some real work done :-)
>However, they use this machine as a FAX machine, using one of the
>readily available FAX boards for IBM PC and compatible machines.
>The question is this: is there any XENIX software to enable FAX boards
>to run; that way they can be sending/receiving FAX transmissions and
>still using the machine to perform useful work.
>
>				Christopher Dutchyn
>	dutchyn@alberta.uucp	Dept. of Computing Science
>	dutchyn@cs.alberta.can	University of Alberta

The JTfax board does this.  Occasionally when I'm getting SCO tech support,
they will fax something to me and they do it though their Xenix/Unix network.
I would contact SCO.  They probably could tell you a lot about it.

-Perry