[comp.unix.xenix] Multi-ports board

paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) (12/12/89)

I am still looking for good multi-ports board for modem type terminal
(both dial-out and dial-in) only.   I have bad experience with Arnet
SmartPorts and I have contact other Arnet owners to have same problem.
I am running SCO Unix 3.2, Telebit T2500 and Hayes 2400.

I believe that Smart board works best for serial cable connecting to
terminal and modem type terminal works best with Dumb type serial board.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

I still don't know which board I should look for.   DIGIboard looks good
but it is not in Seattle area.

Thank you for your time.

willy
.   Willy Paine                      BBS/FAX +1-206-822-4615   .
.   willyp@seaeast.WA.COM            FidoNet 1:343/15          .
.   uunet!nwnexus!seaeast!willyp     fungus.enet.dec.com!paine .

mikes@NCoast.ORG (Mike Squires) (12/12/89)

In article <8912120109.AA17762@decwrl.dec.com> paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:

>I am still looking for good multi-ports board for modem type terminal
>(both dial-out and dial-in) only.   I have bad experience with Arnet
>SmartPorts and I have contact other Arnet owners to have same problem.
>I am running SCO Unix 3.2, Telebit T2500 and Hayes 2400.

I'm running a TB+ using an Arnet Smartport, driver v 5.1.9, and except for
the bug with DTR not dropping under certain conditions things are working
satisfactorily.  OS is XENIX V 2.3.2.  I traced many of my problems to the
dialTBIT dialer, which was broken.  Using the Dialers file instead (with a
entry for initialization) seems to work OK - at least there haven't been
any LCK..tty3C files left in /usr/spool/uucp for a while now.

Arnet has promised an updated driver in three weeks (hint, hint).

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (12/12/89)

> I believe that Smart board works best for serial cable connecting to
> terminal and modem type terminal works best with Dumb type serial board.
> Please correct me if I am wrong.

I agree.  I've played with the Computone and Digiboard smart boards - and
neither one works with bi-directional communications using the supplied
drivers under SCO Xenix.

> I still don't know which board I should look for.   DIGIboard looks good
> but it is not in Seattle area.

Digiboard does offer a 30 day "trial" period - to see if you can get their
products up and running..

--
Larry Snyder, Northern Star Communications, Notre Dame, IN
uucp: root@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!root

In article <8912120109.AA17762@decwrl.dec.com> paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:

>I am still looking for good multi-ports board for modem type terminal
>(both dial-out and dial-in) only.   I have bad experience with Arnet
>SmartPorts and I have contact other Arnet owners to have same problem.
>I am running SCO Unix 3.2, Telebit T2500 and Hayes 2400.
>
>I believe that Smart board works best for serial cable connecting to
>terminal and modem type terminal works best with Dumb type serial board.
>Please correct me if I am wrong.

No!  Especially if you are going to be doing lots of high-speed I/O!

>I still don't know which board I should look for.   DIGIboard looks good
>but it is not in Seattle area.

Digiboard IS good.  One of the better ones.  They are not cheap, but are
worth it.

Specialix is a new one for us, but very promising.  The driver has a few
bugs in it, but nothing terrible that UUCP won't deal with.  They also have
pledged to solve the problems -- more than many other companies have said
they would do (or have actually done)!

>Thank you for your time.

No problem!

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]

asv@gaboon.UUCP (Stan Voket) (12/14/89)

In article <8912120109.AA17762@decwrl.dec.com> paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:

>I am still looking for good multi-ports board for modem type terminal
>(both dial-out and dial-in) only.   I have bad experience with Arnet
>SmartPorts and I have contact other Arnet owners to have same problem.
>I am running SCO Unix 3.2, Telebit T2500 and Hayes 2400.

willy-

I'm a happy user of an Equinox megaport baord under Interactive Unix.
The device  driver disk label says it works under SCO unix (among others) too.

I got mine from Continental Computer systems in CT. Equinox sent me there.

Here's the number: 203 665-1355. They are very knowledgeable about SCO Unix too.

I run a Trailblazer doing bidirectional uucp on the board and it works fine.
No interrupts either!

(happy user disclaimers apply)

| - Stan Voket, asv@gaboon - OR - ...uunet!hsi!stpstn!gaboon!asv       |
|               Land Line: (203) 746-4489  TELEX 4996516             - |

stewart@netxcom.DHL.COM (John Stewart) (12/15/89)

In article <511080@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>I agree.  I've played with the Computone and Digiboard smart boards - and
>neither one works with bi-directional communications using the supplied
>drivers under SCO Xenix.

I've been bitten by that myself using the Computone board.  The solution
is to make it stupid by gutting /etc/ic_control.  To be explicit, here
are the contents of my /etc/ic_control file:

ttyi00:

ttyi01:
	=ttyi00
ttyi02:
	=ttyi00
ttyi03:
	=ttyi00
ttyi04:
	=ttyi00
ttyi05:
	=ttyi00
ttyi06:
	=ttyi00
ttyi07:
	=ttyi00
--
John Stewart, Effective Computing, Inc., (202) 232-5470     stewart@ecompin.UUCP
     at NetExpress Communications, Inc., (703) 749-2796

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (12/17/89)

karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

>Specialix is a new one for us, but very promising.  The driver has a few
>bugs in it, but nothing terrible that UUCP won't deal with.

At least in the UNIX 386 driver for Specialix there is a bug
that is terrible enough that I can't make this board work properly
with modems.

If you have strapped your modem to hold CD high only when a connection
is established, you can't dial out. If you open the modem control
device with the O_NDELAY flag set (by specifying ttyAxx,M in
Devices), uucico aborts as soon as the O_NDELAY flag is cleared,
probarbly because the driver sends a SIGHUP to the process.

For those who are intererested, I use 386/ix 2.0.1 with
the 2.02A Specialix driver.

>They also have pledged to solve the problems -- more than many other
>companies have said they would do (or have actually done)!

You have better experiences then I have, I reported this bug in
August this year and did not even receive any acknowledgement.
--
Pim Zandbergen                           domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                          uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

jpp@specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) (12/18/89)

>>They also have pledged to solve the problems -- more than many other
>>companies have said they would do (or have actually done)!

>You have better experiences then I have, I reported this bug in
>August this year and did not even receive any acknowledgement.

Firstly sorry to take up net bandwidth on this but as the
original comment went to the whole net I feel it right
to reply to the net. (flames to /dev/null)

I have checked out logs and the bug was logged and acknoweledged
by mail.  It appears that the mail went to /dev/null at some
point (we don't keep mail logs for more than a month so I can't
say what route it took).

If you do need to report bugs the correct address is

		support@specialix.co.uk

The bug you reported (not setting CARR_ON when CLOCAL is set on
a modem device) has been fixed.  The fix is in the version currently
in QC for mid/late Jan release.

>--
>Pim Zandbergen                           domain : pim@cti-software.nl
>CTI Software BV                          uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim
>Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70            phone  : +31 70 3542302
>2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands       fax    : +31 70 3512837
--
John Pettitt				UUCP:  uunet!slxsys!jpp
Internet: John.Pettitt@specialix.co.uk	JANET: emxxjpp@uk.ac.brunel.me

In article <1652@ctisbv.cti-software.nl> pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>
>>Specialix is a new one for us, but very promising.  The driver has a few
>>bugs in it, but nothing terrible that UUCP won't deal with.
>
>At least in the UNIX 386 driver for Specialix there is a bug
>that is terrible enough that I can't make this board work properly
>with modems.
>
>If you have strapped your modem to hold CD high only when a connection
>is established, you can't dial out. If you open the modem control
>device with the O_NDELAY flag set (by specifying ttyAxx,M in
>Devices), uucico aborts as soon as the O_NDELAY flag is cleared,
>probarbly because the driver sends a SIGHUP to the process.

Actually the problem is that read()s return immediately (they ignore the
clear of the O_NDELAY).  We can get around that (since we have a "strange"
uucp) but it is a hassle.

It also breaks our dialout terminal program (grrrrrr).  The problem is
easily demonstrated and reproducible.

>For those who are intererested, I use 386/ix 2.0.1 with
>the 2.02A Specialix driver.

Me too.

>>They also have pledged to solve the problems -- more than many other
>>companies have said they would do (or have actually done)!
>
>You have better experiences then I have, I reported this bug in
>August this year and did not even receive any acknowledgement.

AUGUST?!  Now I am getting concerned.

We >need< that bug fixed.  It is serious.  While I like the card, if this is
a problem that won't get fixed soon we're in deep....