[comp.unix.xenix] ST-251 Drives as RLL?

marcs@crpmks.UUCP (Marc Snyder) (12/14/89)

Hello all,
	I don't want to start another huge discussion about whether it is
good to reformat an MFM drive as RLL or not.  I am interested if anyone
out there has taken an Seagate ST-251 42MB 40ms MFM drive, and formatted
it and used it as an RLL drive.  I am going to use two of these drives
formated for RLL for use with SCO Xenix (any Xenix gurus listening out
there? {8^)).  These drives have been running fine for over two years
now, but with a new 386 motherboard on the way, I don't want the disks
slowing the system down too much -- I cant afford to upgrade the drives
just yet.  I thank you all in advance for your time and help.  I would
prefer responses via E-mail (toll free would be fine, also).  Happy
hacking!
--
Marc Snyder                     UUCP: ...philabs!crpmks!marcs
System Administrator                  ...gaboon!crpmks!marcs

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (12/15/89)

->good to reformat an MFM drive as RLL or not.  I am interested if anyone
->out there has taken an Seagate ST-251 42MB 40ms MFM drive, and formatted

Yes. This will work.  For 5 months and 27 days.   It will roll over and die
with skillions of bad blocks at 6 months.   Anyone who tells you otherwise
is either a computer dealer who has been in business for less than 6 months
or someone who doesn't really use his machine.

(Yarrg! Flames! Arf!)

Okay; maybe it will work a little longer.  But make real frequent backups.

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd
Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247
uunet!emory!jdyx!mnopltd!neal Or uunet!gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal

In article <117@mnopltd.UUCP> gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:

>->good to reformat an MFM drive as RLL or not.  I am interested if anyone
>->out there has taken an Seagate ST-251 42MB 40ms MFM drive, and formatted
>
>Yes. This will work.  For 5 months and 27 days.   It will roll over and die
>with skillions of bad blocks at 6 months.   Anyone who tells you otherwise
>is either a computer dealer who has been in business for less than 6 months
>or someone who doesn't really use his machine.

We have several 251's here that have survived in excess of a year running
RLL.  In fact, not >one< has ever failed to hold a format once it got past
the first 24 hours.

We don't count the one that was physically damaged by having the machine
tossed across the room while turned on (I don't think that counts :-).
There is one here that won't hold a format -- but it dies within a few hours
of power-off when it cools down.

EVERY other drive we've ever tried (251) has formatted and played RLL --
some for more than 2 years.  No trouble at all, and only one or two grown
bad blocks over that time (which happens with about the same frequency on
those which we have MFM).

It will, however, void your warranty with Seagate :-)

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (12/16/89)

neal@mnopltd.UUCP writes:
>->good to reformat an MFM drive as RLL or not.  I am interested if anyone
>->out there has taken an Seagate ST-251 42MB 40ms MFM drive, and formatted
>
>Yes. This will work.  For 5 months and 27 days.   It will roll over and die
>with skillions of bad blocks at 6 months.   Anyone who tells you otherwise
>is either a computer dealer who has been in business for less than 6 months
>or someone who doesn't really use his machine.
>
>(Yarrg! Flames! Arf!)
>
>Okay; maybe it will work a little longer.  But make real frequent backups.

Heh, I'd love to hear how you got at that exact period of time.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | My opinions are exactly that,
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | mine.  Bill Gates couldn't buy
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | it, but he could rent it.  :)
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

In article <117@mnopltd.UUCP> gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:

>->good to reformat an MFM drive as RLL or not.  I am interested if anyone
>->out there has taken an Seagate ST-251 42MB 40ms MFM drive, and formatted
>
>Yes. This will work.  For 5 months and 27 days.   It will roll over and die
>with skillions of bad blocks at 6 months.   Anyone who tells you otherwise
>is either a computer dealer who has been in business for less than 6 months
>or someone who doesn't really use his machine.

  sixhub has been running a 251 RLL for over a year. I do not suggest
running a 251 as the 2nd drive on an Adaptek controller, but not because
of format problems (long story). With the WD1006VSR2 I have had no
trouble. My wife has not seen any problems with this, either. She's been
running a systems house since S100 was new tech (1978).

  While ANY MFM drive can fail with RLL, I have never seen the problem
you describe. They usually die within a day or run until they die of
natural causes. Obviously every drive has a finite lifespan, no matter
how it's used.
that the world is flat!" - anon

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (12/19/89)

@ >->out there has taken an Seagate ST-251 42MB 40ms MFM drive, and formatted
@ >

@ --
@ Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
@ Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]
@ Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.		"Quality Solutions at a Fair Price"
@

Ok, Karl; I knew we were going to get different opinions on this.  I have worked
with three people who put in 251/RLL configs; all of them died at 6 months.  All
later got an MFM controller and the SAME drive worked fine and is working now.

SO assuming we are both right in our experiences, and assuming that SEVERAL
means 3 then we have:
	3 drives OK
	3 drives Dead

And one can expect a 50% chance of a dead drive in 6 months.  Now also to
consider:
	Aren't there two variants of the ST-251?  One with plated media and
	one without?  (plated media being required for acceptable RLL usage?)

In the spirit of the season, let's not engage in an extended ankle biting
display on this...

Neal Rhodes

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (12/20/89)

}>
}
>  sixhub has been running a 251 RLL for over a year. I do not suggest
}running a 251 as the 2nd drive on an Adaptek controller, but not because
}of format problems (long story). With the WD1006VSR2 I have had no
}trouble. My wife has not seen any problems with this, either. She's been
}running a systems house since S100 was new tech (1978).
}
}  While ANY MFM drive can fail with RLL, I have never seen the problem
}you describe. They usually die within a day or run until they die of
}natural causes. Obviously every drive has a finite lifespan, no matter
}how it's used.

Not wanting to flog a dead horse here .... but I'll add my voice to the
chorus.

I ran an ST251 as RLL for about six months. It was in such bad condition
that you couldn't turn it off and on without manually turning the head off
the park track. This drive was a junk shop special! But it still worked RLL
until it died altogether.

I've run a dozen or so different drives RLL with the WD1006 with little trouble.Only one drive (Microscience) which wouldn't work and it was obvious from
the start.

I always recommend the WD1006 as the lowest cost speedup you can buy for
your Xenix box. $100 gets you a lot more speed and 50% more storage.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

kory@avatar.UUCP (Kory Hamzeh) (12/21/89)

In article <1933@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
>  While ANY MFM drive can fail with RLL, I have never seen the problem
>you describe. They usually die within a day or run until they die of
>natural causes. Obviously every drive has a finite lifespan, no matter
>how it's used.
>--
>bill davidsen	(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)

Thats not true. I had several different kinds of MFM drives sold to me
as RLL. They would all work fine for about a couple of months, then they
would develope a couple of new bad sectors a day. Just because the drive
works for a day or two, it doesn't mean that there will be long term
reliability.

Kory Hamzeh             UUCP: avatar!kory or ..!uunet!psivax!quad1!avatar!kory
                    INTERNET: avatar!kory@quad.com

tim@comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) (12/21/89)

I am running ISC202 unix, an adaptec rll controller with a SG4144(122meg)
as the first drive and a SG4096 as drive two.  The 4096 is an mfm drive
and has some bad sectors.  I believe that the bad track table on the
drive is in mfm calibrated figures.  How can I feed the adaptec format
utility the proper bad track info as rll?  How would one convert the
table from mfm to rll.

Thanks

Tim Brown                           |
Computer Connection                 |
(attmail or uunet)!comcon!tim       |

In article <129@avatar.UUCP> kory@.UUCP (Kory Hamzeh) writes:

| Thats not true. I had several different kinds of MFM drives sold to me
| as RLL. They would all work fine for about a couple of months, then they
| would develope a couple of new bad sectors a day. Just because the drive
| works for a day or two, it doesn't mean that there will be long term
| reliability.

  I've seen that. A good power line filter usually cures the problem. It
may also be that the controller in this case is marginal. There are some
good articles on how RLL works and what can go wrong. I won't try to
restate the technical stuff, but there is no reason to expect gradual
deterioration other than line noise of a combination of controller and
disk which is marginal (and every vendor makes a few bad ones, no question).
that the world is flat!" - anon