[comp.unix.xenix] Smokin' Serial Port Boards

wlk@raider.MFEE.TN.US (Wolf Kozel) (12/07/89)

Greetings!

Serial Port cards speed is a big factor in choosing one along
with cpu usage.  If you're using Unix/Xenix, there are some
factors that you should consider.

1) Speed improvements will come from software, not hardware.
   According to an Infoworld article, there seemed to be a
   bottleneck itself in Xenix with serial port cards.  Testing
   a board in DOS doesn't mean the same performance in SCO.
   Computer Design had an article on some serial io chips that
   can transfer data at tremendous speeds.  The catch is the
   cost.  Three hundred dollars instead of $20 we're paying
   now.  Would anybody pay this?  One engineer said a rule
   of thumb was tripling material cost -- which means an
   eight port board would cost around $2200.

2) Downloading the i/o portion of the kernel to the card, while
   seductive, results in only a 5-10% increase in speed.  This
   is not a trivial task.  There are probably bigger wins out
   there.

3) By tweaking driver code you can optimize it.  We've increased
   the speed of our driver by almost 100% in benchmarks.  But
   when we ran the driver on a 'Real-World' system with users
   and windows and stuff, there wasn't a noticeable difference.
   There was a big difference when there was just one person on
   it, however.

   Co-workers at Arnet tell me that not too many people seem
to really care about benchmarks.  They cite Fall Comdex where
only a couple came up to our booth to ask about them.  It seems
to popular on the net, I wonder it that is indicative?

   Thanks for reading this,
      Wolf Kozel  (Arnet System Administrator)

clyde@hitech.ht.oz (Clyde Smith-Stubbs) (12/18/89)

For a really smart, fast serial board, take a look at Anvil Designs
Stallion board. I have an 8 port board (expandable to 16 ports and you can
have four boards per system) and I am very happy with it. The only complaint
is that because not all the modem control signals are supported you have
to connect the CD line to the DSR pin on the port.

Anvil Designs list a phone number in USA of 408 988 3622, or you could
e-mail to anvil.oz.au.

disclaimer: I don't work for Anvil, and I paid full price for my board.

--
Clyde Smith-Stubbs
HI-TECH Software, P.O. Box 103, ALDERLEY, QLD, 4051, AUSTRALIA.

wlk@raider.MFEE.TN.US (Wolf Kozel) (12/22/89)

In article <421@hitech.ht.oz>, clyde@hitech.ht.oz (Clyde Smith-Stubbs) writes:

> For a really smart, fast serial board, take a look at Anvil Designs
> Stallion board. I have an 8 port board (expandable to 16 ports and you can
> have four boards per system) and I am very happy with it. The only complaint
> is that because not all the modem control signals are supported you have
> to connect the CD line to the DSR pin on the port.

I agree that the Stallion is smart, but it is not fast. On our in-house
benchmarks which were the Anvil benchmarks as modified by Specialix,
Anvil came in behind: 1)Equinox 1)Arnet 2)Computone 3)Digiboard.  They
finished behind our Multiport board at speeds less than 38.4 K baud
as far as speed.    Our Multi[port is a dumb board.

Anvil does a much better job of off-loading the host cpu.  They do
real well in those tests.  They also make some good software enhancements
with crocodile and monitor.

Wolf Kozel
Arnet Corporation

ps since know john of specialix reads this, we didn't have one of
his boards to bench, but I suspect it would have done well...

In article <421@hitech.ht.oz> clyde@hitech.ht.oz (Clyde Smith-Stubbs) writes:

>For a really smart, fast serial board, take a look at Anvil Designs
>Stallion board. I have an 8 port board (expandable to 16 ports and you can
>have four boards per system) and I am very happy with it. The only complaint
>is that because not all the modem control signals are supported you have
>to connect the CD line to the DSR pin on the port.
>
>Anvil Designs list a phone number in USA of 408 988 3622, or you could
>e-mail to anvil.oz.au.
>
>disclaimer: I don't work for Anvil, and I paid full price for my board.

We have one of these boards for sale.

8 ports.  Driver versions 2.1.7, 2.4.2, 2.4.1, 2.5 beta.

It works.  Complete, with manual.  About 8-9 months old.

It is >not< perfect.  We have noted some strangeness with modems (it has
trouble supporting multiple Telebits).  Works great with terminals though.

First $750 takes it.  I'll pay shipping.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]

jdw@hpfijdw.HP.COM (Jeff Wood) (12/23/89)

I have set up a Hewlett Packard Vectra using the serail
board from Corollary.  It has a RS-422 inerface with 4 external
ports.  Each port can be connected to a terminal concentrator
with 8 RS-232 ports for a total of 32 RS-232 ports!
The Corollary 8/tcfm has full modem support!!  Software
drivers are available for DOS, SCO Xenix, and SCO Unix.
Hewlett Packard is so impressed with the product that
they are going to be OEM's for it.  It will be on the
CPL the first of the year!

<disclaimer>  I work for HP and not Corollary.  I also
bought my Corollary board before it was an HP product.

Jeff Wood

jdw@hpfijdw.HP.COM (Jeff Wood) (12/23/89)

BTW - Corollary, Inc.
      17881 Cartwright Road
      Irvine, California  92714
      714/250-4040
      FAX: 714/250-4043

Jeff

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (12/24/89)

In article <1989Dec22.031406.3122@ddsw1.MCS.COM-> karl@mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
->In article <421@hitech.ht.oz> clyde@hitech.ht.oz (Clyde Smith-Stubbs) writes:
->>
->>For a really smart, fast serial board, take a look at Anvil Designs
->>Stallion board. I have an 8 port board (expandable to 16 ports and you can

->We have one of these boards for sale.
->8 ports.  Driver versions 2.1.7, 2.4.2, 2.4.1, 2.5 beta.
->It works.  Complete, with manual.  About 8-9 months old.
->It is >not< perfect.  We have noted some strangeness with modems (it has
->trouble supporting multiple Telebits).  Works great with terminals though.

I have a site that has the Anvil Onboard.  Got a hit and blew some ports so we
got a new one for replacement.  The old board was a 10Mhz design, the new one
is 16Mhz.  Don't have any modem experience on this one, but the terminals at
38k under the new board are "zippier" than the same terminals at 38k on the
old board.  Definately a faster board - and new drivers are due for it soon to
improve performance.  (Of course they HAVE to say that don't they?)

With serial boards being a very competitive item right now all the board mfrs
seem to be trying to outdo the competition.
--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP