[comp.unix.xenix] smart serial port boards

wlk@raider.MFEE.TN.US (Wolf Kozel) (12/15/89)

Greetings!

   There is a problem with the Arnet Smartport and Telebit
modems.  It has to do with the Smartport buffering data in
its 64K buffer and sending it out to the Telebit in a chunk.
The Telebit modem gets confused.  With non-intelligent Multiport,
there is no problem.

  This does seem to be an industry-wide problem (from other postings
I've seen).  Intelligent cards have a problem with Telebit but
non-intelligent cards work fine.  We haven't been able to get any
help from Telebit.  We are on the verge of putting them on our non-
compatibility list.   It has been very frustrating for our support
people.  When I ask them, "what do you have to do to get a
Telebit modem to work?"  they say, "Well, you take a monkey paw
and a rabbit's foot and ....".  If you have a Smartport and Telebit
modems, I'd recommend calling us anyway.  If this is a big problem,
you can trade you Smartport for a Multiport temporarily.

  If you are having problems with our Smartport and regular modems,
give us a call (or reply to me via e-mail), and we'll send you the
most recent version of our driver.  There is no problem with modems
and our board working -- but the most recent 5.1.12 Xenix driver
eliminates some strange modem disconnect but modem doesn't recycle
problems.
                                        Wolf Kozel ( Arnet )

markt@polari.UUCP (Mark Tapper) (12/16/89)

In article <158@raider.MFEE.TN.US> wlk@raider.MFEE.TN.US (Wolf Kozel) writes:
>Greetings!
>
>   There is a problem with the Arnet Smartport and Telebit
>modems.  It has to do with the Smartport buffering data in
>its 64K buffer and sending it out to the Telebit in a chunk.
>The Telebit modem gets confused.  With non-intelligent Multiport,
>there is no problem.
>
>  This does seem to be an industry-wide problem (from other postings
>I've seen).  Intelligent cards have a problem with Telebit but

  This is not a problem with the Anvil Stallion 16 port.  We have 2 telebits
hooked up at 9600 and have had no problems with the modems at all.  It sounds
like this is not really an industry-wide problem, but an Arnet Smartport
problem.

 I wouldnt recommend the Stallion though,  At 19200 it makes other ports
just about useless if we are getting any incoming traffic.

Mark Tapper

--
         Mark Tapper  markt@polari.uucp   uw-beaver!sumax!polari!markt

jpp@specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) (12/18/89)

wlk@raider.MFEE.TN.US (Wolf Kozel) writes:

>I've seen).  Intelligent cards have a problem with Telebit but
>non-intelligent cards work fine.

Not true, this site slxsys runs two 'blazers on a Specialix SI card.
slxinc and slxhq are also trailblazer / SI combinations.  Most
`smart' cards can't keep up with the input data rate from a 'blazer
but this is not an industry wide problem.

(End of thinly masked product plug  :-).

--
John Pettitt				UUCP:  uunet!slxsys!jpp
Internet: John.Pettitt@specialix.co.uk	JANET: emxxjpp@uk.ac.brunel.me

marcs@crpmks.UUCP (Marc Snyder) (12/24/89)

In article <1123@polari.UUCP> markt@.UUCP (Mark Tapper) writes:
>In article <158@raider.MFEE.TN.US> wlk@raider.MFEE.TN.US (Wolf Kozel) writes:
>>   There is a problem with the Arnet Smartport and Telebit
>>modems. [...]
>>[...]  With non-intelligent Multiport,
>>there is no problem.
>
>  This is not a problem with the Anvil Stallion 16 port.  We have 2 telebits
> I wouldnt recommend the Stallion though,  At 19200 it makes other ports
>just about useless if we are getting any incoming traffic.

This sounds like a problem to me.  I currently have Telebit Trailblazer
Pluses installed on clients machines connected to Equinox Megaports.
These ports and the modems have their speed locked at 19.2, and the modem
does the baud rate converstions.  The other ports are usable with the
Telebits receiving incoming traffic -- even 1MB news batches.  Sounds
like you may want to try out another brand of intelligent serial ports.
I have finally found one that I am fully satisfied with.

Please note, I am not affiliated w/Equinox, I am just very impressed with
their products.  Blah, blah, blah...
--
Marc Snyder                     UUCP: ...philabs!crpmks!marcs
System Administrator                  ...gaboon!crpmks!marcs